Mickey and Minnie’s Runaway Railway (DHS) | Page 30 | Inside Universal Forums

Mickey and Minnie’s Runaway Railway (DHS)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
It will have decent capacity for sure, but not close to peak GMR and during the time GMR was around with FP+ in play, even that ride ran up 45 minute waits frequently. Sure, there will be more rides in the park, but there will also be way more bodies as well.
I was under the impression that Mickey’s capacity was going to be slightly higher than GMR’s. I can’t remember if Martin said it over on Magic or if it was someone else, though.

The great thing about DHS will be that there will be multiple draws in different directions. The largest crowd will head to SWGE......You'll be able to get multiple rides on RRC and ToT in a relatively short time span if you head that way.

Reactions: Magic-Man
I'm not a big Disney fan myself. It's become so stale to me (born and raised here in Orlando), and nostalgia doesn't work for me. For some reason, I'm drawn to this ride, and I'm not a 'kiddie ride' kind of guy. I'm very intrigued by how they can push animation with mapping out entire rooms, making you feel like you're in the cartoon. Just how you watched an unrealistic day/night transition when a character flips a switch can now be brought to real life!

I'm envisioning this as a wacky, fun attraction that will be stunning.

I was under the impression that Mickey’s capacity was going to be slightly higher than GMR’s. I can’t remember if Martin said it over on Magic or if it was someone else, though.

I find this hard to believe. There are 16 riders per dispatch. It seems this ride will utilize large rooms for the cars, sorta like Tokyo Pooh. But because it is all screens, and uses perspective, each room must full clear out before resetting. Yes it splits off, like Ratatouille, but still some rooms are shared, and the choke point, per se. The problem is I can't see there being two load spots, just like Rat and PHH, so you can't be loading multiple dispatches at once. I could see this not having a huge capacity. Certainly nowhere near the 2400 THRC of GMR.

Interesting that Disney has started internal posting for positions in Star Wars land, but no internal postings for Runaway Railway yet...

Interesting that Disney has started internal posting for positions in Star Wars land, but no internal postings for Runaway Railway yet...
I wouldn't make much of it yet. SWGE is an entire land with two ride, lightsaber experience, shops, restaurants, etc. Runaway Railway is just a singular ride. The ride isn't rumored to open until late summer/early fall anyway.

At a guess, Star Wars is a much bigger operation and more complex to operate requiring longer training plus the people in Star Wars will probably be required to have knowledge about the land's back story and the movies in general. Runaway Railway might just require the bare minimum of checking restraints and pressing go and the standard operations.

Reactions: SeventyOne and Nick
At a guess, Star Wars is a much bigger operation and more complex to operate requiring longer training plus the people in Star Wars will probably be required to have knowledge about the land's back story and the movies in general. Runaway Railway might just require the bare minimum of checking restraints and pressing go and the standard operations.
Yeah, I believe to work in Pandora you had to take a class to learn the language, watch the movie and learn the back story. I'm sure there will be something similar here, especially since Star Wars has a language. Basic Aurebesh will likely be a part of a class, as I know it will be throughout the land and it's going to be on the CM name tags as well.

In response to a question on Magic a few moments ago, super insider Marni @Marni1971 gave some perspective on budgets of two of WDW's new upcoming attractions.....Concerning Mickey & Minnie RR budget, "Three figures. Quite a bit more than Everest. Quite a bit less than Tron".......I thought that was interesting, and enlightening, info

More than Everest in 2004 - 2006 dollars.

If Everest were built in the exact same way today, I have no doubt it would be in the $400m range like TRON and GOTG supposedly are (if not more, considering it's not just a coaster in a box), with Runaway Railway coming in significantly under that.

If Everest were built in the exact same way today, I have no doubt it would be in the $400m range like TRON and GOTG supposedly are (if not more, considering it's not just a coaster in a box), with Runaway Railway coming in significantly under that.

I can't even fathom how Tron can be anywhere North of $150MM, and that's ridiculous. It's a warehouse with neon lights And a few screens. Then the outside cover. Then a $20MM roller coaster.

If they are saying Tron costs $400MM, that includes like every single thing related to it for a 3 year period.

And, let's be honest, Tron isn't even remotely close to worth that. If they'd actually put Tron theming in, so they could sell merch of those characters better, and even have a special glowing Tron drink bar.

As it is, it will be like spitting into the ocean of Fastpasses, won't impact waits on anything, and will only sell pins and T shirts.

I'm not a big Disney fan myself. It's become so stale to me (born and raised here in Orlando), and nostalgia doesn't work for me. For some reason, I'm drawn to this ride, and I'm not a 'kiddie ride' kind of guy. I'm very intrigued by how they can push animation with mapping out entire rooms, making you feel like you're in the cartoon. Just how you watched an unrealistic day/night transition when a character flips a switch can now be brought to real life!

I'm envisioning this as a wacky, fun attraction that will be stunning.
It's one of their more intriguing projects....I'm trying very hard to care a ton about Star Wars, but I feel Disney really is at its prime one these types of attractions

I wonder if the same folks from GMR will be transfered back to this ride

Yea, Disney budgets are meaningless. They probably spent 100 million on ASS

Reactions: belloq87
The obsession with budgets is so silly to me. Disney is going to raise prices no matter what.
Does it really matter how much an attraction costs in reality? You could say that Disney “over pays” but you could also say that Universal is “too cheap”.

If the ride is good, it makes no difference.

From all the attractions that were announced in the 2017 D23 including Tron & Rat, this was the one I was most excited for. Rat is mostly SCREENZ and Tron is criminally short like 1 min or something.

I really feel that imagineers will knock it out of the park with this one. Martin from wdwmagic seems to indicate that this project will be quite impressive.

I'm from the West Coast, so I'm bummed this ride is a WDW exclusive. Butttttttttt....It appears there might be plans for Disney to build this ride in Toontown somewhere in the backstage area. My prediction is that Disney wants it open and ready for 2021 to compete with the plumber up North.

MICKEY V MARIO

The obsession with budgets is so silly to me. Disney is going to raise prices no matter what.
Does it really matter how much an attraction costs in reality? You could say that Disney “over pays” but you could also say that Universal is “too cheap”.

If the ride is good, it makes no difference.
Exactly. If Disney just started building a bunch of low budget attractions, they aren’t going to suddenly stop raising prices.

And at the end of the day it ain’t my money so who cares.

Disneyland is for sure getting it. They've already told the warehouse workers behind Toontown that they're going to need to clear out by early April for theme park expansion.
And supposedly DLP is getting it too. It’ll be exclusive to WDW for only about 2 years or maybe even less.

It matters if you like new things. Disney stopped building for a bit because they didn’t see the return on investment due to costs.

When people gladly let you kidnap them at the airport, and then charge them $3 for a bottle of water for 10 days, they didn't need new rides to increase profits.

Those in charge then didn't care that the overcrowding apocalypse would come, and is here. Those folks got their bonuses, and have moved on.

Last edited: