Middle Earth coming to UOR? | Page 2 | Inside Universal Forums

Middle Earth coming to UOR?

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I think if LOTR happens, it will be in Korea

You have Korea and Singapore over there and IMO one would get LoTR and the other would get Potter. Neither gets both.

LOTR makes the most sense taking over Toon Lagoon.

Lost Continent isn't big enough for the property.

And, as I talked about on Twitter a few days ago, LOTR can easily take over chunks of Toon Lagoon without affecting the overall park much.

Phase 1 - Area around Toon Lagoon Theater becomes The Shire. Theater becomes a Bag End walkthrough. This can be done without affecting any existing attractions.

Phase 2 - Retheme the Main drag of Toon Lagoon to Rivendell. Comic Strip Cafe becomes a table service restaurant better than Mythos themed to Elrond's table. Also during this time, retheme Sweet Haven and Popeye to the barrel escape in The Hobbit.

Phase 3 - Once Phase 2 is complete, knock down Dudley for an "Escape from Erebor" E-ticket. Basically a ripoff of Dragon Tower, I know. But I don't care.

I don't know if just making it all based on The Hobbit would be a good idea Skip. The Shire works good as the beginning, then Rivendell (Mirkwood too for the Barrel Escape), but instead of Erebor I would put a Mordor ride with Mount Doom.

I don't know if just making it all based on The Hobbit would be a good idea Skip. The Shire works good as the beginning, then Rivendell (Mirkwood too for the Barrel Escape), but instead of Erebor I would put a Mordor ride with Mount Doom.

Eh. Erebor is more interesting than Mordor, IMO. Mount Doom is just a volcano. Only thing I see coming out of that is a generic coaster.

Everest style coaster, but with more dark ride scenes. I think Gringotts could be a great proof of concept for something in Erebor.

Even then I would still take a Mount Doom coaster over Erebor. Sure, you would get to see a Smaug AA, but Sauron is better. Just sayin' :p

I am surprised no one has mantioned the Mines of Moria. I think that is ready made for a dark ride. And I think a water ride seems to be a natural fit for a lot of the LOTR. But I am perplexed as to how they would present places like Rivendell, Helms Deep, Minus Tirith, or even The Black Gate of Mordor. I think that the only way to do something with those locals would be some sort of Soarin' 3D screen based attraction. And the only flying that takes place is on a Giant Eagle.

I am surprised no one has mantioned the Mines of Moria. I think that is ready made for a dark ride. And I think a water ride seems to be a natural fit for a lot of the LOTR. But I am perplexed as to how they would present places like Rivendell, Helms Deep, Minus Tirith, or even The Black Gate of Mordor. I think that the only way to do something with those locals would be some sort of Soarin' 3D screen based attraction. And the only flying that takes place is on a Giant Eagle.

Rivendell could be done with forced perspective and the like. Just get some good rockwork people in on it.

And Erebor and Moria are very similar, both being great Dwarven mines.

Mine of Moria would be great and I would have said that, but they ARE building an Amber Mine not too far away :look:

The Amber Mine is rumored to be a kiddie coaster. I don't believe a dark ride into the Mines of Moria would conflict too much. What with the Balrog and all.

Last edited:

This. I don't know enough about LOTR to really suggest my own concepts, but dark rides and water rides seem to be the best fits. Not that I think Universal would do it without some thrill element, but something along the lines of POTC could be enjoyable. Lord knows IOA could use some more family attractions; a well-themed C-ticket could balance out an E-ticket dark ride.

I hope the dining/retail corridor would be Rivendell; the set design is what I liked the most about The Hobbit film. Gorgeous architecture.

(Can this thread be renamed "Middle Earth coming to UOR?" Sorry, I'm a little ODC :lol:)

Last edited:
I agree on toon lagoon. Putting LOTR next to Potter would be horrid as they are such similar genres. I hope that a LOTR land isn't really coming at all... although a single attraction wouldn't bother me.

Here's my two cents. Toon Lagoon is HUGE. And if you were to incorporate the plot of land behind Thunder Falls, you would have an area ripe for building. I like the shire walkthrough Idea. I think Rivendell is a must but only with food and dining, Mines of Moria dark ride, And a wing coaster based on the eagles flying through middle earth. (that last one is far fetched but one can dream). Keep Popeye but theme that to the barrels.

Just some squandering thoughts. I really hope this happens.

Rivendell, even in forced perspective, would be a MASSIVE and spectacular piece of frickin' WOW! But not a lot happens there but talking. REALLY, REALLY important talking, but no real action. So I think that having it represented as part of a 4K 60 fps 3D flying on an eagle Soarin' inspired attraction would be great.

I think next Saturday, I am penciling in a LOTR: Extended Version Marathon. Followed by The Hobbit in 3d IMAX (I have only seen the 24fps, non 3D version).