Moana (2017) | Inside Universal Forums

Moana (2017)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Thanks for sharing the trailers here...not only do they make me want to watch the movie....I'm now wanting to book a trip to go back to Hawai'i !

I'm noticing something very interesting, with every clip that's being put out for this, the general hype surrounding this film is tempering pretty quick. It's quite intruiging especially when you look back on the hype it had last year. Last year, the hype for Disney's two animated releases were like this.

Moana - The hype was through the friggin' roof, I was seeing a lot of people have this as their most anticipated for 2016, some were even saying this could very well be a "Instant Classic". All in all most were seeing this as Disney's next BIG animated film.

Zootopia - The hype was nowhere near the levels of Moana, a lot were unsure, most had their expectations tempered. The hype felt it would be a nice "B film/side project".

Flash forward to now where Zootopia turned out to be a far bigger success both critically and financially then anyone expected, after all I don't think anyone thought this would end up making over a billion. (Personally for me, I had a feeling it was gonna' be good. So for it to be one of Disney's most nuanced films & make over a billion is definitely a wonderful surprise right there.)

So now all the pressures on Moana since that had all the hype surrounding it, but personally for me I'm not really getting sold on this.

It didn't test that well back interally in May so I'm not as hype for this film as well.

An' that right there could be a factor why I'm not really getting sold on this. Heck one of the recent clips they put out has a joke on "tweeting" which is giving me vibes of Brother Bear where they had modern references/hip slang in a setting which didn't fit. (Now Zootopia however, a tweeting joke would've fit there perfectly.)

All hype is gone for me.

That's definitely a Lin-Manuel song if i've ever heard one :lol:

Also, while I have no hype for this movie, this is an out of context clip. The movie is not a musical, it simply has a few musical segments woven in to fit in theme of Polynesian culture.

That's definitely a Lin-Manuel song if i've ever heard one :lol:

Also, while I have no hype for this movie, this is an out of context clip. The movie is not a musical, it simply has a few musical segments woven in to fit in theme of Polynesian culture.

Issue is even sonically its out of context with the culture etc the film is trying to portray. Going back to enjoy my lilo and stitch soundtrack for polynesian disney music.

Currently sitting at a 100% with 37 reviews on Rotten Tomatoes and an 81 from 14 on Metacritic. Seems like Disney Animation can do no wrong these days.

Currently sitting at a 100% with 37 reviews on Rotten Tomatoes and an 81 from 14 on Metacritic. Seems like Disney Animation can do no wrong these days.

Fantastic Beasts was at 100% before it dropped to 76% on release date. We'll have to wait and see. :ears:

Fantastic Beasts was at 100% before it dropped to 76% on release date. We'll have to wait and see. :ears:
FB had 100% with around 20-30 reviews and began steadily dropping since the last few days before its release, and this movie coming out tomorrow and still has 100% with 46 reviews. I have faith. :)