Moana (2017) | Page 2 | Inside Universal Forums

Moana (2017)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
It was good...very by the numbers and reminded me quite a bit of Kubo and Two strings. Pua the Pig is the best character. Some of the jokes fell flat though.

It was good...very by the numbers and reminded me quite a bit of Kubo and Two strings. Pua the Pig is the best character. Some of the jokes fell flat though.

Interesting. Kubo is my favorite movie so far this year.

I enjoyed it a lot. For one, it's possibly one of Disney's most visually impressive films ever. In terms of story, characters, and music, it was also very strong, with a couple of weak points. The humor was good, but at times almost felt too tongue-in-cheek, and some of the story beats were pretty formulaic and predictable. Overall it was a pretty great movie, though.

Saw the movie tonight. Really enjoyed it. @captainmoch hits the nail on the head with most points. It was visually impressive, Story and Music strong (there was only one song that was below average, with most being above imo).

Being the Hamiltrash that I am and having been a fan since In The Heights, I was excited that Lin-Manuel Miranda did the music to the movie, but I don't think I was prepared for how close he was going to stick to his personal style, even in a Disney princess movie. The movies first song, "Where You Are", sets the tone for the rest of the movie and the melody sounds as if it could've been a Hamilton song. The song even features lead male vocals from Christopher Jackson and backing vocals from Philippa Soo, who were the original George Washington and Elizabeth Schuyler in Hamilton. Tight harmonies and heavy storytelling helps succeed at setting up the rest of the movie perfectly.

Last edited:
It was good...very by the numbers and reminded me quite a bit of Kubo and Two strings.

This is a very strange statement considering Kubo was likely one of the most unique children's movies I've ever seen. I'm sure you just meant Moana regarding paint by numbers, and not Kubo, right?

I'm a sucker for all things Hawaii as I go there a couple of times a year. I love the music, the culture, and the people. So this movie was a huge hit for me. I really really liked it. Maybe as much or more than Kubo, which was my favorite animated film in years.

This is a very strange statement considering Kubo was likely one of the most unique children's movies I've ever seen. I'm sure you just meant Moana regarding paint by numbers, and not Kubo, right?

I'm a sucker for all things Hawaii as I go there a couple of times a year. I love the music, the culture, and the people. So this movie was a huge hit for me. I really really liked it. Maybe as much or more than Kubo, which was my favorite animated film in years.

Both paint by numbers.

I thought Moana was absolutely beautiful. I really enjoyed it. Strangely, my friends weren't crazy about it and I was the one least excited to see it.

Both paint by numbers.

If you thought Kubo was paint by numbers I don't even know how to respond except that I couldn't disagree more. Kubo paint by numbers... Facepalm...

Moana, on the other hand, was just like tangled except it executed better on every level than tangled did.

I find Maui so offputting I'm having trouble getting past it to go and see the film. Like I can't imagine 90 minutes of him.
Maui is actually a very endearing character... also you don't come across him until about 30 minutes into the movie anyway.

I'd go as far to say 40 minutes into the movie.

The impression I get is 40mims prior of "songs of our people" to let the pumpkin spice latte crowd feel like they've got a handle on "culture" before introducing the demigod. And, zomg, he's zany and conceited and not what she expected and this odd couple goes on to face various challenges to find or save or protect some... thing... before she discovers the power was inside herself the whole time in some spiritual way related to "her people."

:popcorn:

And is there a moment of dramatic tension where he like betrays her or her trust and it looks like she has to go it alone but then he swoops in like "oh, I couldn't let you do this alone." Is this after some flashback where he let someone else down and doesn't want to repeat the same mistakes?

And is he humanized in some touching moment showing he's "just like us" with hopes and dreams and emotions and stuff?

The impression I get is 40mims prior of "songs of our people" to let the pumpkin spice latte crowd feel like they've got a handle on "culture" before introducing the demigod. And, zomg, he's zany and conceited and not what she expected and this odd couple goes on to face various challenges to find or save or protect some... thing... before she discovers the power was inside herself the whole time in some spiritual way related to "her people."
More or less.

It's still a really good movie. Disney clearly has a formula for these movies and it works. Just like how Laika, Dreamworks and Illumination all have their own formulas for the type of animated movies they make.