New Rumor: Shrek to Close/T2 Upgrade | Inside Universal Forums

New Rumor: Shrek to Close/T2 Upgrade

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

JungleSkip

V.I.P. Member
Feb 15, 2010
The Mushroom Kingdom
So, was reading Magic today, and Martin is saying Shrek should be the next attraction to close and be replaced in the Studios, and to expect T2 to close for some TLC and upgrades in the near future.

Reading on, he says that the Production Central area of the park has become a bit of a joke internally, and is being called "Glasses Alley" with the addition of another 3-D attraction in Transformers.

What do you think we could we take over for the Ogre? Is Shrek still packing the people in or Uni just ready to move on from that franchise?

Honestly, I have no idea. Considering Shrek is yesterday's news for the most part, I'd assume they're looking to move on from it, possibly to a property they own.

As for what could replace it...I have no idea. The area is small, but they've proved with SS44/Transformers that won't stop them from going big.

I just hope they don't take action anytime soon. Sooner or later, the entire Studios is going to be under construction. it feels like it is!

The failings of Shrek wasn't that it cashed in on popular franchise, but was that it was not a timeless movie based attraction. New Men In Black, Despicable Me, and Mummy movies can come out and not ruing those attractions.

The failings of Shrek wasn't that it cashed in on popular franchise, but was that it was not a timeless movie based attraction. New Men In Black, Despicable Me, and Mummy movies can come out and not ruing those attractions.

And it's a 3-D movie. Unless they go above and beyond (Muppets, T2) they just have a hard time staying relevant and interesting.

I remember earlier this year when I looked at a Universal Annual Report that the Shrek deal is on a year-by-year basis. So, it isn't hard to get out of.

They don't need Shrek anymore. I think a big part of the Shrek deal was needing a marketable character, especially for USF. Now with Potter, Despicable Me, and Transformers, that is no longer necessary. As to what can replace it, I have no idea, but like Skip said, they're building an e-ticket where SS44 was.

Maybe Shrek is being relocated to a (hopefully) refurbished Kid's Zone in the near future. Jealous of the pictures I've seen of Singapore's Shrek/Madagascar themed areas.

I don't think they'd spend the money to close an attraction that already operates and move it to another area. At least not an attraction like Shrek.

IMO, New KidZone will either focus on Uni properties, or they'll bring in more Nick stuff.

I just bought the Shrek 4d ridefilm on Blu-ray. Never owned it before but now I don't know how I'll feel about actually going in the attraction anymore.

I would love to see shrek go :thumbs:
but what we definitely need is more production theme attraction in that area. Even something like CinéMagique in Disneyland Paris would be awesome way to reuse the space and add something related to universal and its history, plus what better way to start your day at the studios with a view into its past films and future releases.

Strange that they would close T2 in Cali, but upgrade it in FL? No?

Never seen the Shrek show, but I love Hitchcock films and was pissed when that was replaced.

Strange that they would close T2 in Cali, but upgrade it in FL? No?

Never seen the Shrek show, but I love Hitchcock films and was pissed when that was replaced.

USH isn't blessed with the space USF has. If they were to upgrade it, I hope it updates to the recent movie.

How to Train Your Dragon? I know that was one of the original rumors for the JN replacement, but the movie was a big hit, the new cartoon show is popular, and two new HtTYD movies are already in the works.

USH isn't blessed with the space USF has. If they were to upgrade it, I hope it updates to the recent movie.

I don't. I enjoyed Salvation as a Terminator fan far more than I could enjoy three but T2 is still regarded as one of the greatest action movies of all time and is largely popular worldwide. One of the highest grossing/attended movies ever. Salvation was a summer fun that is already forgotten about for the most part.

If we think about it logically it could make sense that T2 gets some attention due to Hollywood's closing. They are the two mainland shows that have similar or exact parts cloned. So any hardware or software like effects or bits that help the show run could be removed or transferred over to the east Coast. Thus cutting down replacement cost and extending the lifespan of an attraction if it keeps cost down.

Shrek really cost next to nothing to run and makes a lot of money off of cutesy merchandise as it is iconic all around the park so it is easy to sell as well as dumps people into a giftshop every 6-12 min. I would not shed a tear over it though if it did in fact leave.