Nintendo Coming to Universal Parks | Page 404 | Inside Universal Forums

Nintendo Coming to Universal Parks

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I think it makes perfect sense to have MARIO in the Studios. I assume they save by ordering double the ride vehicles at one time (as an example to want to build for at least two parks at once).

They get the franchise represented sooner by building at an existing park which helps bring in revenue gain.

Really though, it really ballances the park for the family vacation. Water park for the whole family, two parks with kid areas the whole family can enjoy with thrill for the older kids and thinks like JP (discovery, camp) add in MARIO and DK....I think they have something here!

Reactions: Mike S
Studios in Orlando need Mario because all the other Studios are getting Mario first/at the same time. There’s uniformity in that where guests can see “Mario is at Universal Studios” and it applies across the board.

Hogswarts originated in Islands, which isn’t in Japan or Cali, so they got it put in Studios. Jurassic Park the one exception, but it’s also 20 years old and from a different era.

So... yeah. Mario Kart is going into Studios.

Bad sources or not, it's probably the best use of the properties. Mario as the centerpiece of the new park with a game changing MK ride.

People keep saying the third park needs Mario, but I really don’t see that being true. A new park built by Universal is already going to draw enough people IMO. Top that with possibly LOTR, Fantastic Beasts and Zelda or Pokémon got just fine for brining in guests.

Exactly- I’d agree with @fryoj if LoTR didn’t sound like it was almost assuredly happening.

But more than any of that- USF desperately needs physical attractions and another anchor area.

I feel like if the third park has Lord of the Rings, Zelda/Pokemon, DreamWorks, Star Trek, Fantastic Beasts, and whatever else they can fit in on the side, it'll have enough appeal to attract people.

I think when building a new park, IP won't be the only thing that matters. When IOA opened, it had MSHI, Toon Lagoon, Jurassic Park, Lost Continent, and Seuss Landing... the only one of those that was super huge and relevant at the time was Jurassic Park. Otherwise, Toon Lagoon was dated then and is dated now, Lost Continent wasn't based on an IP, MSHI was built when Marvel was not doing great, and Seuss Landing was based off a timeless property but was also the park's "kid" area and not a huge draw. Yet despite that IOA managed to do... relatively well. I say "relatively" because there were some things that put a hamper on its success, like "Universal Studios Escape" and shortly after that, the 9/11 tourism crash. But those factors weren't the park's fault, and besides those, IOA was a fine and well-rated park. Not all of the IPs may have been the most relevant, but the park had great and (at the time) unique theming as well several amazing world-class attractions.

So with this new park, not every IP needs to be a killer WWoHP/SW:GE/SNW-level thing. Lord of the Rings would deliver on that, definitely. Pokemon would deliver on that as well, if they choose to put it in Park 3 instead of IOA. Then DreamWorks, Star Trek, Fantastic Beasts, and Zelda (if they choose to go with that instead of Pokemon) could deliver on being supplementary to those huge IPs. As long as the park is extremely well-themed (if they're truly aiming to be like TDS, it will be) with amazing, state of the art attractions (this is Universal we're talking about, of course there will be), and a bit more of a family appeal than the other parks (DreamWorks and Nintendo are already basically shoo-ins), than I think it will have plenty of appeal and draw.

Wait, where did this information regarding Nintendo for two other parks come from? It certainly didn’t come from project building permits. Did that info come from chocolate chip or whatever his name is too?

Reactions: Disneyhead
Exactly- I’d agree with @fryoj if LoTR didn’t sound like it was almost assuredly happening.

But more than any of that- USF desperately needs physical attractions and another anchor area.

I think Pokemon can fit that need for Kidzone myself. For park 3, I think that LOTR is a big deal, so don't get me wrong. But I don't think it carries a park by itself. You still need a major kid IP. Of what they own themselves, I think Minions is the only one that really fits that, but I really don't know that they will use it in that way. So that leaves Nintendo. Zelda is not that IP. It's just not that big. Pokemon probably can do the job, I just think Mario just does it better.

As for whats going on in Kidzone now.

In the last few months various "insiders" have said that Kidzone is closing right after HHN. Plans have changed and SNW is getting plussed and that Pokemon into the MIB plot is what is happening now. And now we have Chip saying that IOA is getting Nintendo. This can only be Zelda right?

So what's left for park 3?

I think the only thing above that we can be sure of is that plans have changed. Anyone who actually knows whats going on isn't going to be posting it.

So let me get this straight: Do the 8.8 acres listed only cover the buildings, or is it for the whole area? Where is Yoshi? What's with the weird L-shaped attraction?

I think @AliciaStella put it best on that it may not be there due to a lot of it being an outdoor attraction, and that we may not have the ability to fully see where and how Yoshi could be incorporated.

Reactions: Alicia
Yes, yes it would.

For me.

An argument could made that Mario should go into USF rather than the third park to ensure guests visit both instead of the brand new park simply cannibilizing guests from the other property. Also the third park would likely be the first to have LOTR so that’s enough of a big IP presence to draw many in. Pokémon, DreamWorks, etc. would easily cover families

I think people will be visiting the current resort for a long time as long as Potter is there but it doesn't really matter.

How many people are buying only a 1 park ticket? If everybody is buying a multi park ticket and transport is good, they will be visiting every park.

The Progression of the KidZone replacement rumors:

1. Ok Jaws closed.... *looks around the park*
  2. What about Spongebob? What about MLP?
  3. STAR TREK!
  4. No Star Trek.
  5. NINTENDO!
  6. *waiting*
  7. Mario Kart, Donkey Kong, Yoshi
  8. *waiting*
  9. *worrying*
  10. *prognosticating*
  11. Confirmation of Mario Kart in Japan and concept art
  12. *waiting*
  13. *worrying*
  14. *prognosticating*
  15. "Well what about x, y, & z?"
  16. "IT'S DELAYED WE SWEAR"
  17. "IT'S CHANGED!"
  18. "NO IT'S POKEMON"
  19. See #7
  20. "NO THAT'S OLD!"
  21. *waiting*
  22. *worrying*
  23. *prognosticating*
  24. Announcement of Mario Kart, Donkey Kong, Yoshi
  25. "Well I thought it was delayed for Pokemon? It should be in the third park."