Old Key West Resort | Inside Universal Forums

Old Key West Resort

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
May 8, 2010
Portland, OR
Has anyone stayed here recently? I’m heading to Disney World for the first time in a few years for the Wine and Dine half marathon (I moved to Portland, OR from FL in 2021). I’ve stayed at multiple resorts on property but never here. There a great price for OKW via renting points for a studio during our stay. Currently, I’m booking at All Star Movies to save some money but changing would be less than $100 a night. Just looking for overall thoughts if anyone has stayed in the last couple years. Thanks in advance!

What sort of room are you looking at? Are you driving or flying?

I haven't stayed at OKW in years but I know the rooms went through a huge refurb. I really like OKW - both from my own nostalgia and also the space for the price you get. Just note that the venue isn't really walkable unless you're super close to the guest house and there's an internal bus system. But on the plus side the rooms are huge and great, the amenities are good, and Olivias is a diamond in the rough.

What sort of room are you looking at? Are you driving or flying?

I haven't stayed at OKW in years but I know the rooms went through a huge refurb. I really like OKW - both from my own nostalgia and also the space for the price you get. Just note that the venue isn't really walkable unless you're super close to the guest house and there's an internal bus system. But on the plus side the rooms are huge and great, the amenities are good, and Olivias is a diamond in the rough.
Flying. Won’t have a car. I’ve stayed at Coronado and Saratoga with the similar issue of being far from things, so the bus system doesn’t bother me a ton. We were just looking at regular studios because of the two queen beds (only two of us). As long as the busses to the parks isn’t too bad and the pools are good, the size of the resort doesn’t matter a ton to me. I’m just hoping it would be a way more relaxing place compared to All Stars (which I do like the new rooms but is often packed).

Flying. Won’t have a car. I’ve stayed at Coronado and Saratoga with the similar issue of being far from things, so the bus system doesn’t bother me a ton. We were just looking at regular studios because of the two queen beds (only two of us). As long as the busses to the parks isn’t too bad and the pools are good, the size of the resort doesn’t matter a ton to me. I’m just hoping it would be a way more relaxing place compared to All Stars (which I do like the new rooms but is often packed).

It will be more relaxing than All-Stars. Go for it.

I stayed there right after the hotels reopened during COVID (as a matter of fact, I can pinpoint it to when Hamilton came out on D+ because we had a watch party there). We stayed in a 1BR, but either way, even those are huge as far as 1BR Villas go. I haven't been back since normal operation. Things were really weird during that time and the parks not open so it wasn't the ideal stay to give an opinion based off of.

I'll leave this here, but I second Joe that you should go for it.

Looking forward to your thoughts! Especially compared to other resorts you’ve stayed at on property. Personally I think both OKW and Saratoga (I lump them together in my mind) are massively underrated after their refurbs. So relaxing and definitely slower paced compared to other hotels, which is great after spending time in the parks. The drawback is that they’re a pain if you don’t have a car, but if you do you can park right by your building and drive yourself to the parks to avoid the bus hassle.

Reactions: Skipper Justin