Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

"Old School" Universal Orlando

Even by 1991's standards, an incredible value.

It's kind of insane how high modern ticket prices have gone up above inflation.
In 1991 common status symbols were things like fashion/cars/jewelry. Now status symbols are event based. I couldn't tell you a single person I know that brags about expensive things that aren't around events. Hell I only promote events like the longwood gardens fireworks because I actually want other people to support the place. Social media is about self promotion and events are the best promotion especially if you hit the events first. Up charge events are expanding even though we already have massive crowds during normal hours.

Sean Flaharty released uncut footage from the model preview, ACE preview, and other previews of IoA. Ignore the trolling April Fools title.

That’s a fantastic video! Their enthusiasm for what they’re seeing is infectious.

One of those guys sums up IOA quite well. “This place is just packed with the WOW factor. All we can say is WOW.”

That’s pretty much all I was saying on my first visit back in ’99, too.

In 1991 common status symbols were things like fashion/cars/jewelry. Now status symbols are event based. I couldn't tell you a single person I know that brags about expensive things that aren't around events. Hell I only promote events like the longwood gardens fireworks because I actually want other people to support the place. Social media is about self promotion and events are the best promotion especially if you hit the events first. Up charge events are expanding even though we already have massive crowds during normal hours.

I agree that "experiences" rather than "things" have taken a prime position for a lot of people.

I have been racking my brain about the old parking lot, I still believe it seemed new for Universal to have individual section names with the garages. Most of the time I would be parked close enough to just walk to the gate, but I believe occasionally I'd take a tram for further spots. I'm thinking the tram going to the west lot was dedicated to Alfred Hitchcock, and Steven Spielberg for the east lot.

It'd be great to get to the bottom of this if anyone has sparked memories because this is nagging me... thanks a lot @Brian G. !!! :rant::lmao:

Also where is @Skubersky when you need him?

Most of the time I would be parked close enough to just walk to the gate

My only memory of the parking lot was from my trip in 1993, where we were definitely within walking distance of the gate. Our next trip was in 1997, and I have no memory of the parking situation at all from that trip.

When did the flat lot go away, anyway? The garages had to have been open before CityWalk construction kicked in, but I don't recall exactly when that all took place.

It would appear the answer is boring...

It was just by row number.

My only memory of the parking lot was from my trip in 1993, where we were definitely within walking distance of the gate. Our next trip was in 1997, and I have no memory of the parking situation at all from that trip.

When did the flat lot go away, anyway? The garages had to have been open before CityWalk construction kicked in, but I don't recall exactly when that all took place.

I believe the first garage was opened in 1997-1998 with the 2nd garage opening in 1999. I actually know where to get that answer, just gotta get home first. :lol:

It would appear the answer is boring...

It was just by row number.

I believe the first garage was opened in 1997-1998 with the 2nd garage opening in 1999. I actually know where to get that answer, just gotta get home first. :lol:

I’m sure the first garage opened in 97 and you walked along the bridge and went to the stairs where the valet parking is now and around theback of the cinema to get to USF.

98 you went through CityWalk.

I think the second garage opened in 99 along with IOA.

The original parking lot was halved in 96 to start construction on IOA. The other half was closed in 97 when the new garage opened and construction started on Hard Rock Hotel.

Very clever parking management given the size of the project.

I vaguely remember driving to Universal in 96, we had always drove up Turkey Lake Road and this was before the internet and we had no idea what was happening.

Some previously unseen (for me) footage of a guy rehearsing stand-ups on JAWS, during its prime. Empty boat, no skipper spiel, but look at those sharks.

giphy.gif

Last edited:
Even by 1991's standards, an incredible value.

It's kind of insane how high modern ticket prices have gone up above inflation.

I feel like it doesn't help that more people are traveling to Orlando. I did some fact checking - 1990 claimed 14 million tourists, while 2017 reports 72 million. That's hecka amounts of tourists. I think we can all agree it's gotten more crowded at the parks, and sadly, ticket prices increases are one of many ways to try to remedy that.

EDIT: Some USF relevant numbers: 2.8 million visited in 1990, 10.2 million visited in 2017. (Courtesy of theparkdb)