Old Theme Park Rumors Discussion | Page 2 | Inside Universal Forums

Old Theme Park Rumors Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
- Kong replacing Disaster
- Paint The Night to WDW about a million times
- Velocicoaster plot was rumored going to get an RMC at one point
- Brazil to Epcot
- The many projects Disney has actually announced and then cancelled.
- Speedway retheme to TRON and going electric
- Tokyo BATB ride to come to France Pavilion (this was in serious contention and Rat won out)

This was definitely a real thing. Disney beat them out by offering Cameron a land. Sort of a reverse Potter.
Was a factor for why Rat was chosen over the Tokyo BATB due to size? I think BATB has a far bigger showbuilding than Rat. But I also though I heard Tokyo has some sort of exclusive clause for at least some attractions.

Off the top of my head...

Jonas Brothers RNR
Arendelle Toontown Replacement
A billion Tomorrowland replacements

It's kind of hard to think of salient older ones since a lot of the historical rumors were confirmed to actually be in development. Van Helsing, Pokémon, Zelda, Lorax trackless, SLOP trackless, Atlantis Submarine Voyage, Fire Mountain, trackless Villain-Con, Iron Man IOA, all the dropped Jurassic concepts, all of those have some kind of corroboration via permits or concept art. The rumor is more so whether these projects were in blue sky or active development.
I believe @Alicia discussed this a while back but would have the trackless version of Villain Con been interactive sort of like Midway Mania? Also I think one reason and correct me if I am wrong, the trackless form of Villain Con was scrapped had to due with size of the building. Most forms of trackless rides have a far bigger building than the Shrek 4D plot. And they need big buildings for the ride vehicle to roam the space and have interesting set pieces and props. Though having a TSMM interactive ride in a trackless form does sound pretty cool. Hope Universal revives the original trackless Villain Con concept on a larger scale in the future.

not sure if it has any truth to it or if it is just some analyst's opinion that they want to will to be true -- Just a rumor at this point, but supposedly Disney wants to give Universal the rest of Hulu in exchange for distribution rights to Hulk movies. Should be interesting to see how/if any of it pans out.

Was a factor for why Rat was chosen over the Tokyo BATB due to size? I think BATB has a far bigger showbuilding than Rat. But I also though I heard Tokyo has some sort of exclusive clause for at least some attractions.

I believe @Alicia discussed this a while back but would have the trackless version of Villain Con been interactive sort of like Midway Mania? Also I think one reason and correct me if I am wrong, the trackless form of Villain Con was scrapped had to due with size of the building. Most forms of trackless rides have a far bigger building than the Shrek 4D plot. And they need big buildings for the ride vehicle to roam the space and have interesting set pieces and props. Though having a TSMM interactive ride in a trackless form does sound pretty cool. Hope Universal revives the original trackless Villain Con concept on a larger scale in the future.
Interestingly, the trackless 2 story version of SLOP, would have easily fit into the Shrek USF plot, per the plan's dimensions. But, the original plan was only for Hollywood, not Orlando.

Interestingly, the trackless 2 story version of SLOP, would have easily fit into the Shrek USF plot, per the plan's dimensions. But, the original plan was only for Hollywood, not Orlando.
One aspect of the original trackless concept would have involved guests riding in what was basically a giant Roomba. That kind of gave me Tokyo BATB vibes. But if the building was about the size of the USF Shrek plot. I assume they would have made it a SLOP mini land? I think they made the right call by moving SLOP to what it currently is on the upper lot and better use the space on the lower lot for SNW.

Something that came to mind.

I don't know if this would be a rumour or urban legend but back in the late 90s (Before IOA opened and Universal had announced plans for the 3rd park where EU is being built now). As the Universal Blvd extension was being built, there was a rumour that the median was perfectly spaced to one day allow for a monorail to be built connecting both resorts.

Speaking of Universal Blvd, they are going to have to redo that entrance from the south side/I-4 entrance. Lots of buses/Ubers coming that way, and even more soon with the 3 new resort hotels.

Something that came to mind.

I don't know if this would be a rumour or urban legend but back in the late 90s (Before IOA opened and Universal had announced plans for the 3rd park where EU is being built now). As the Universal Blvd extension was being built, there was a rumour that the median was perfectly spaced to one day allow for a monorail to be built connecting both resorts.
I’m pretty sure a rail was included in their “the future” model in the final room of the IOA preview Center. It had the location of their planned 3rd park, two golf courses, and another cluster of hotels. This also included their conversations to buy the land Dr. Phillips High School is on and provide a new spot a few miles south.

Reactions: SeventyOne
Man, I'm getting a lot of nostalgia reading these threads. That rumor I read about Avatar possibly replacing T2:3D at USH was a major throwback for me. I think I remember reading the Screamscape rumor! Wild how times have changed.

I remember the early Potter rumors atUSH that sprouted online around the Holiday season of 2010 when the one in Florida opened. There was talks of either the entire upper lot getting demo'd to make room for it or Hogsmede going where T2:3D was. I know people back then brought up the Gibson Amphitheater but everyone insisted that Universal makes too much money off it it to get rid of it for theme park expansion. Lo and behold...lol

Kinda sad that I never got to see the old Gibson amphitheater though. Oh well. I was going to see Lamb of God there before the show got canceled.

Man, I'm getting a lot of nostalgia reading these threads. That rumor I read about Avatar possibly replacing T2:3D at USH was a major throwback for me. I think I remember reading the Screamscape rumor! Wild how times have changed.

I remember the early Potter rumors atUSH that sprouted online around the Holiday season of 2010 when the one in Florida opened. There was talks of either the entire upper lot getting demo'd to make room for it or Hogsmede going where T2:3D was. I know people back then brought up the Gibson Amphitheater but everyone insisted that Universal makes too much money off it it to get rid of it for theme park expansion. Lo and behold...lol

Kinda sad that I never got to see the old Gibson amphitheater though. Oh well. I was going to see Lamb of God there before the show got canceled.

I even remember one rumor stating that USH had a plan B regarding Potter in the event they couldn't find enough space for the full-scale Hogsmeade.. build Forbidden Journey as a stand-alone ride and just have it kinda "exist" in the park the way USH rides did back then..

I even remember one rumor stating that USH had a plan B regarding Potter in the event they couldn't find enough space for the full-scale Hogsmeade.. build Forbidden Journey as a stand-alone ride and just have it kinda "exist" in the park the way USH rides did back then..
Thank God for JK Rowling's final say back then or this is literally what they would've done under the Kurtz.

Haha, not only was there T2:3D>Avatar pitch, there was also a T2:3D>Titanic pitch (at least for Orlando). It involved lots of water.

While discussing James Cameron, I have heard they have also blue skyed an Escape From New York attraction, but I don't think it was a T2:3D replacement.

Last edited:
Haha, not only was there T2:3D>Avatar pitch, there was also a T2:3D>Titanic pitch (at least for Orlando). It involved lots of water.

While discussing James Cameron, I have heard they have also blue skyed an Escape From New York attraction, but I don't think it was a T2:3D replacement.
For the newer Forum members... @Disneyhead , in his prime, along with Teebin and Hate to Fly, were the most prominent Universal Insiders in the years before @Alicia. Disneyhead had a knack, good sources, for Blue Sky projects, many of which became prominent attractions. Stuff like Hagrids replacing Dragons coasters. SLOP. Zelda long ago too....and Indiana Jones at AK....and the list is almost bottomless. Of course, with Blue Sky projects, many, like a small Potter hotel outside Diagon, never got approved, and a few, like a couple of the above, are still waiting to break ground.

For the newer Forum members... @Disneyhead , in his prime, along with Teebin and Hate to Fly, were the most prominent Universal Insiders in the years before @Alicia. Disneyhead had a knack, good sources, for Blue Sky projects, many of which became prominent attractions. Stuff like Hagrids replacing Dragons coasters. SLOP. Zelda long ago too....and Indiana Jones at AK....and the list is almost bottomless. Of course, with Blue Sky projects, many, like a small Potter hotel outside Diagon, never got approved, and a few, like a couple of the above, are still waiting to break ground.
And some changed drastically. Like Wonka in the remaining Lost Continent became Toothsome's in CityWalk.