Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Orlando Ski Resort

Hockeyman55

Premium Member
Aug 19, 2009
Palm Beach Gardens
http://www.myfoxorlando.com/story/21440562/snow-skiing-and-snowboarding-coming-to-i-drive

ORLANDO, Fla. (WOFL FOX 35 ORLANDO) -
Orlando's International Drive already has just about any kind of diversion you can come up with. There are thrill rides, water parks and plenty of restaurants and shopping.

But there is a plan submitted to the City of Orlando that would actually bring snow skiing and snowboarding to I-Drive along with several other outdoor sports.

In a report to the Orlando Municipal Planned Board, developers note that the sports complex is said to provide diverse skill building and educational opportunities.

In addition to a skiing/snowboarding slope, the proposed development includes rock climbing, natural trails, a man-made surfing feature, a white-water rafting course, a kayaking and canoeing course, crayoning, zip lin-ing, a high rope course apparatus, and a rappelling tower.

On the roughly 60-acre property, 300,000 square feet would be dedicated to the sports complex with approximately 178,000 square feet put aside for hotel development.

Read more: http://www.myfoxorlando.com/story/2...-snowboarding-coming-to-i-drive#ixzz2NG7yS7bQ

I dont know about you guys but im really excited about this and really hope this happens. Ive been snowboarding twice and would love to have something closer to home like that. White water rafting is something I have always wanted to do but have never had a chance to also.

Definitely sounds cool. I would really like to see this happen. My question is price, because if it is outrageously expensive then I wouldn't even bother going to it.

Definitely sounds cool. I would really like to see this happen. My question is price, because if it is outrageously expensive then I wouldn't even bother going to it.

Its Orlando. Anything you do there is expensive :rofl:

But I agree, there is noway I would do it if its an astronomical amount of money. I can see them doing something along the lines of having sessions for a few hours each and being like $30 to ski

I was thinking more along the lines of if admission price is more than $100 just to get in, then no way in hell can I justify going. Hoping it is far more reasonable than that, though.

Last edited:
Oh boy...I figured it was that plot of land. :lol:

Well, given that starting piece of information, I'm off to start digging! Anyone willing to make a bet on if Baker Leisure Group is involved in this version for that plot of land? :look: :sneaky:

Is it safe to assume that a lot of American tourists in Orlando still come from East, and specifically farther North East? Often times those folks are trying to vacation away from that sort of thing. Unless it really is cheap, which I don't think anyone should hold their breath on, I don't see people paying for the novelty when it's probably more preferable to do this sort of thing closer to home. Or for locals to actually go away for winter sports. Idk. Seems like a tough sell to me.

Is it safe to assume that a lot of American tourists in Orlando still come from East, and specifically farther North East? Often times those folks are trying to vacation away from that sort of thing. Unless it really is cheap, which I don't think anyone should hold their breath on, I don't see people paying for the novelty when it's probably more preferable to do this sort of thing closer to home. Or for locals to actually go away for winter sports. Idk. Seems like a tough sell to me.

It would be wise of them to offer some sort of annual pass for locals that is affordable. I for one would love to be able to bring my kids to a place like this, but this is coming from a South Floridian who doesn't get to see snow all that often :lol:

It would be wise of them to offer some sort of annual pass for locals that is affordable. I for one would love to be able to bring my kids to a place like this, but this is coming from a South Floridian who doesn't get to see snow all that often :lol:

Oh yeah. If it's affordable and offers enough of a variety of things to do, it could definitely be a local hit. But I'll believe both of those when I see it :lol:

In reality, I don't see how cheap they could make it. I can imagine it having pretty high operating costs, and I don't know how large the capacity can really be.

Oh yeah. If it's affordable and offers enough of a variety of things to do, it could definitely be a local hit. But I'll believe both of those when I see it :lol:

In reality, I don't see how cheap they could make it. I can imagine it having pretty high operating costs, and I don't know how large the capacity can really be.

I would hate to see how much it cost to run all those refrigeration units 24-7

A few things I found on http://www.surfparkcentral.com/acquasol-adventure-complex-surf-park-coming-to-orlando-fl/

Looks like its a small plot of land for a ski slope.

Large Surf Park, Beach Club, Surf Rental Facility and Conference Center
Sun Lounging Beach, Cabanas and Beach Cafe
167′ tall Skiing and Snowboarding Slope
Snow Tubing and Ice Rink
White Water Rafting Course
Kayaking and Canoeing Course
ATV Tracks
Rock Climbing, Canyoning, and Zip-Line Course (Tallest Zip-Line towers are 120′ tall)
High Ropes Course and Rappelling Tower
Family Entertainment Center and Ski Lodge
Food and Beverage Courtyard
Retail Village with Offices Above (Board meeting anyone?)
On Site Medical Centre

Last edited:
At first I thought it was going to be an indoor ski hill like Ski Dubai has...but an outdoor "dry simulated hill"?
Man made snow is bad enough, I can't imagine fake snow being all that great to ski on.

I dont even think its fake snow. I saw a video once of these ski resorts that are install these plastic mat type things so people can go "snow" tubing in the off season so not sure if hat is what they intend to do or not. I dont see though how one would be able to cut into that to get a groove or anything to ski.

I thought it was going to be all indoor until seeing those concept photos. That way nobody could complain about noise.

I would definitely check it out if it does get built.

At first I thought it was going to be an indoor ski hill like Ski Dubai has...but an outdoor "dry simulated hill"?
Man made snow is bad enough, I can't imagine fake snow being all that great to ski on.

I was thinking the same exact thing! If they want to do it right, they need to build this bad boy,

Dubailand20Ski20Dome.jpg

^This was the one proposed to be built in the failed Dubailand complex, not the real one they already have.