1. Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Make sure to sign up and join the community! It's fast, free, and easy! DO IT!

Oscars 2020

Discussion in 'Games, Movies & Sports' started by Cup_Of_Coffee, Oct 9, 2019.

1. Cup_Of_Coffee

Cup_Of_Coffee Veteran Member

Not sure how many people here follow the Oscars, but with Joker and Judy now playing I think "Oscar Season" is fully underway. I expect this season to be much more competitive at least in terms of film quality. I personally found last year to be a dud awards season with not many strong films. I don't forsee that being the cast this year, however. From research Ive done on all the festivals, numerous articles, films I'm excited for myself, etc.

Also, hoping this is a thread we update throughout awards season. Awards don't really mean anything but I find them fun to follow, as well as exploring some new films I may not have before. I think these are some films to watch out for in the next few months, feel free to add yours or just continue the discussion!

- Marriage Story (Netflix)
    - Jojo Rabbit (Oct 18, Wide on Nov 8)
    - The Irishman (Netflix)
    - The Lighthouse (Oct 18, not sure on wide release)
    - Parasite (Oct 11, likely wide Oct 25)
    - Waves (November 8, not sure of wide release)
    - Honeyboy (November 8)
    - Knives Out (November 22)
    - Uncut Gems (December)
    -Bombshell (December)
    - 1917 (December 25)
    - Little Women (December 25)

I may have missed some there, so feel free to add in whatever I have missed. A few films that have already been released, but could get attention in various categories:

Once Upon A Time In Hollywood
    The Farewell
    Wild Rose
    Us
    Avengers Endgame
    Booksmart
    Hustlers
    Joker
    Judy

Anyways, Id love to discuss these films and more with people throughout awards season, so lets have some fun!

2. Nick

Nick Staff Member Moderator

Joker is a potential Best Picture and Best Actor Winner. Maybe that's what you mean by "various categories" :lol:

Ford v. Ferrari is another to look out for.

Cup_Of_Coffee likes this.
  3. Cup_Of_Coffee

God I knew I Missed one movie coming out soon lol. But ya Various categories cause not everything can be nominated for best picture lol. My guess for those noms right now are:

Marriage Story
    Jojo Rabbit
    Parasite
    Joker
    Once Upon A Time In Hollywood
    The Irishman
    The Farewell
    Ford vs Ferrari
    Waves

Of course, I'm going with the 10 nom format

Nick likes this.
  4. Nick

Nick Staff Member Moderator

Ad Astra is also something that could get some awards play for Brad Pitt for Best Actor at the Globes or something (I think Disney will push for it), but ultimately there's been so many great performances this year that I think Ad Astra will get left out. Pitt was better in Once Upon a Time In Hollywood imo, anyway.

5. Cup_Of_Coffee

Ya I'm feeling like all the attention will going towards Once Upon A Time In Hollywood for him, especially since Ad Astra did not perform very well box office wise. I think with Joaquin, Driver, and DiCaprio we're looking at those 3 leading the race for acting.

6. ThemeParks4Life

ThemeParks4Life Veteran Member

My expectation for Picture is one of Marriage Story, Joker, Irishman, Parasite, or Hollywood will win. The Academy's demographics are changing rapidly, yet preferential voting still allows stuff like Green Book to win.

7. Jaden

Jaden Member

Stupid question, but El Camino? I know its Netflix only, but its getting a theatrical release tmrw so does it qualify for the oscars?

8. Cup_Of_Coffee

I beleive so, yes. Netflix is going to put all their Oscar campaigning towards The Irishman and Marriage Story, though.