Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Oscars 2020

Aug 7, 2018
Not sure how many people here follow the Oscars, but with Joker and Judy now playing I think "Oscar Season" is fully underway. I expect this season to be much more competitive at least in terms of film quality. I personally found last year to be a dud awards season with not many strong films. I don't forsee that being the cast this year, however. From research Ive done on all the festivals, numerous articles, films I'm excited for myself, etc.

Also, hoping this is a thread we update throughout awards season. Awards don't really mean anything but I find them fun to follow, as well as exploring some new films I may not have before. I think these are some films to watch out for in the next few months, feel free to add yours or just continue the discussion!

- Marriage Story (Netflix)
- Jojo Rabbit (Oct 18, Wide on Nov 8)
- The Irishman (Netflix)
- The Lighthouse (Oct 18, not sure on wide release)
- Parasite (Oct 11, likely wide Oct 25)
- Waves (November 8, not sure of wide release)
- Honeyboy (November 8)
- Knives Out (November 22)
- Uncut Gems (December)
-Bombshell (December)
- 1917 (December 25)
- Little Women (December 25)

I may have missed some there, so feel free to add in whatever I have missed. A few films that have already been released, but could get attention in various categories:

Once Upon A Time In Hollywood
The Farewell
Wild Rose
Us
Avengers Endgame
Booksmart
Hustlers
Joker
Judy

Anyways, Id love to discuss these films and more with people throughout awards season, so lets have some fun!

Joker is a potential Best Picture and Best Actor Winner. Maybe that's what you mean by "various categories" :lol:

Ford v. Ferrari is another to look out for.

Joker is a potential Best Picture and Best Actor Winner. Maybe that's what you mean by "various categories" :lol:

Ford v. Ferrari is another to look out for.
God I knew I Missed one movie coming out soon lol. But ya Various categories cause not everything can be nominated for best picture lol. My guess for those noms right now are:

Marriage Story
Jojo Rabbit
Parasite
Joker
Once Upon A Time In Hollywood
The Irishman
The Farewell
Ford vs Ferrari
Waves

Of course, I'm going with the 10 nom format

Ad Astra is also something that could get some awards play for Brad Pitt for Best Actor at the Globes or something (I think Disney will push for it), but ultimately there's been so many great performances this year that I think Ad Astra will get left out. Pitt was better in Once Upon a Time In Hollywood imo, anyway.

Ad Astra is also something that could get some awards play for Brad Pitt for Best Actor at the Globes or something (I think Disney will push for it), but ultimately there's been so many great performances this year that I think Ad Astra will get left out. Pitt was better in Once Upon a Time In Hollywood imo, anyway.
Ya I'm feeling like all the attention will going towards Once Upon A Time In Hollywood for him, especially since Ad Astra did not perform very well box office wise. I think with Joaquin, Driver, and DiCaprio we're looking at those 3 leading the race for acting.

My expectation for Picture is one of Marriage Story, Joker, Irishman, Parasite, or Hollywood will win. The Academy's demographics are changing rapidly, yet preferential voting still allows stuff like Green Book to win.

Stupid question, but El Camino? I know its Netflix only, but its getting a theatrical release tmrw so does it qualify for the oscars?

Stupid question, but El Camino? I know its Netflix only, but its getting a theatrical release tmrw so does it qualify for the oscars?
I beleive so, yes. Netflix is going to put all their Oscar campaigning towards The Irishman and Marriage Story, though.

Wouldn't have been nominated for best animated feature anyways. The CGI was insanely impressive but it was too realistic to the point it did not work as a musical whatsoever.

Honestly, boiling down; it's great to see films like Promare, Weathering with You, and other international films on Best Animated.

It's actually a big thing for Weathering for You, as the group releasing the film has actually put the film in two categories for nomination consideration: the Animated Feature category, and International Film (it's actually now the second time for this director for just animated feature, as Your Name was in the submissions for "Your Consideration") when it was hitting the rounds.

Honestly, boiling down; it's great to see films like Promare, Weathering with You, and other international films on Best Animated.

It's actually a big thing for Weathering for You, as the group releasing the film has actually put the film in two categories for nomination consideration: the Animated Feature category, and International Film (it's actually now the second time for this director for just animated feature, as Your Name was in the submissions for "Your Consideration") when it was hitting the rounds.
Haven't seen it but am interested in checking it out!!

I’d love Queen and Slim to be Oscar worthy. The trailers look terrific thus far.

seeing The Lighthouse Thursday, hoping it’s as good as been advertised

Saw Jojo Rabbit, it was fun and extremely well directed but compared to The Lighthouse and after seeing Harriet, its moved down. Harriet I would not surprised if it gets a best picture nom now...it was so good.

My predictions for Best Picture now are:
Parasite
Harriet
Queen and Slim
The Lighthouse
Marriage Story
Joker
Irishman

But Cynthia Erivo hands down is getting best actress nom and a win.

It sounds like 1917 is this year's Birdman due to the "continuous shot" method of filming. I'm excited to see how it works in motion.

Looking at the noms across the board from local critics to the Critic Choice and Golden Globes...

the frontrunners are:
Parasite
Irishmen
Marriage Story
Little Women

So The Lion King got nominated for the globes as best animated. After all the pushing Disney did to try to say it was live action, I find that hilarious.