1. Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Make sure to sign up and join the community! It's fast, free, and easy! DO IT!

Pandora Pre-Opening Standpoint Check-in?

Discussion in 'Disney's Animal Kingdom' started by epcyclopedia, Apr 19, 2017.

1. IAmFloridaBorn

IAmFloridaBorn Veteran Member

Avatar was going to come to Universal? Would have loved that!

2. GAcoaster

GAcoaster Veteran Member

I would guess that just about any IP that is not already owned by Disney or Universal gets shopped to both for theme park development (or they approach the IP holder). Since Cameron had already worked with Universal on T23D it's not surprising he might have approached them or they approached him. The movie was a HUGE hit and had potential for exploiting in a park. I don't think spending about a billion dollars on it was smart, but time will tell...

Mr. EPCOT likes this.
  3. DoubleJ

DoubleJ Rookie

I hadn't even seen Cars before I walked into Cars Land (through the Pacific Wharf entrance), and my jaw dropped. After seeing the movie, the land was even more impressive to me.

A majority of the U.S have never seen a single Harry Potter movie. IP is MEANINGLESS to financial success. Very, very few people relative to Orlando theme park attendance are Harry Potter fans with enough emotional connection to feel compelled simply due to the IP. When I walk around the brick wall, the most frequent comment I hear is "Wow, this is so cool!" Not "OMG, it's Diagon Alley!"

Harry Potter is obviously a worldwide cultural phenomenon, but in the U.S. it's not as strong. Not a single Harry Potter movie topped $400 million domestic. The IP sells hardly any merch outside of books. I'm just extremely puzzled as to how anybody thinks Hogsmeade and Diagon's success is even 10% attributable to Harry Potter. IMO, it's insulting to Universal Creative.

Disney isn't a risk taking company anymore? :lol:

twebber55 likes this.
  4. quinnmac000

quinnmac000 Veteran Member

....besides the movie sales, this is the most inaccurate post I have seen in my entire life. It has a market value of $25 Billion dollars which makes it the third highest grossing media franchise. (#1 Pokémon, #2 Star Wars). The only people who I know object to Harry Potter are those who are very religious when it comes to witchcraft/ghosts.

gbird, awhen, SeventyOne and 3 others like this.
  5. twebber55

twebber55 Veteran Member

This has always been position
    iP gets way overblown
    Quality and execution is far more important

SeventyOne likes this.
  6. Frogki

Frogki Veteran Member

I'm not big on either side of this debate but arguing Potter wasn't successful because it was Potter is kind of silly. Sure, lots of people didn't plan vacations specifically around it. Plenty more did - Universal didn't have thousands purchasing robes and wands because they just thought the place was cool. I certainly know that I wouldn't have spent $50 on a toy wand if I didn't have the emotional attatchment to the stories which made the fact that it chose me an actual moment I'll never forget.
    EDIT: Thank you Quinn!

quinnmac000 likes this.
  7. AlexanderMBush

AlexanderMBush Legendary Member

To talk about this briefly, I have for a while; seen four things being potentially able to match Potter.

1.) Star Wars Land - Unlike Pandora, this to me from everything in the concepts and what has been said; does excite me more-so. I think it will be fascinating to see in the near future what they can do, and that I think this will be in a strange way, a Star Wars Fan's dream come true. Especially with it being canonical to the films, I do think that there is a lot of great potential for the land.

2.) Super Nintendo World - If I was going to say something more direct (rickroll), I will say this. This; is Universal's next big risk. Nintendo, is one of the largest IP's in the world, and that it can easily be botched and poorly received for not immersing yourself enough to the world. I think, that if they embrace that you have to experience it, not by a screen; but with real environments, it will be the big selling point. More-so than even the characters. It's the experiences and the atmosphere that they offer, that will drive this whole thing from being a true disaster, to a true dream come true.

I have talked with some collegues of mine, that I talk with on The Coaster Casters; that Nintendo is going to be a hit, if done in the right way. One simple mis-step can lead to a series of heartache.

3.) Lord of The Rings - This, to me; is Pandora's Box. Whoever would get it, if the Theme Park Rights can occur, to whoever in god's name it may be; must be careful with the IP. More so than Nintendo, more so than Star Wars, and more so than even freaking Potter. As one simple mistake, can to me; cause something more massive in the amount of backlash for an IP. Lord of The Rings, is legendary in pop culture, and it is one of the most defining stories of the medieval/fantasy genre.

There is a huge amount of backlash, if they even announce it; and that it would be an insane uphill climb in my eyes, that this would even make a freaking dent.

and 4:

Universal, and their plans with the southern property

To put it simply, history has it's eyes on them.

The success of everything they have led themselves too. Everything, that they have done; has been with the aid more-or-less in the past few years; with Comcast. Now, what in the hell; would happen, with them doing the southern property. There are many way's that they can go wrong, and many ways that they can do something legendary. I think it is going to depend on how serious Comcast gets with this. Because it will be one of the largest investments to Orlando in years.

__

That being said, back to Pandora. I do believe it is beautiful. And, that I agree with many of the points from @Joe, @GAcoaster, and @SeventyOne; and that I hope to be wrong in my fears and worries. I do have hopes that they do something extraordinary with Avatar, but I have my doubts.

SeventyOne and Frogki like this.
  8. twebber55

twebber55 Veteran Member

the point was had it been disneys version or some piss poor watered down version it would not have been very popular, look at star tours the greatest IP of all time yet gets 20 min waits in the summer...

9. twebber55

twebber55 Veteran Member

to me worry about things we know
    if you have an issue with the fakeness of the plants from what you see like others have said then thats legitimate. But we havent seen the rides (especially FOP) to know whether we need to worry

DoubleJ likes this.
  10. DoubleJ

DoubleJ Rookie

Rank source?

Familiarity>Fanbase

A lot of people have neutral opinions toward Potter or aren't familiar with the stories/characters. I never said there was a great deal of dislike, just an overestimation of the series' power.

I am a Harry Potter fan. But, I'm also a numbers person. The strength of the HP franchise is grossly exaggerated.

In theme parks, execution will handily beast IP every time. The execution of the land looks spectacular which is why I believe it will enjoy a great deal of success.

11. twebber55

twebber55 Veteran Member

since pokemon is such a hot franchise i wonder why it doesnt have its own theme park land somewhere?

12. Brian G.

Brian G. Staff Member Administrator

*Reads Pandora World of Avatar thread

*Reads here.

*Reads Pandora World of Avatar thread

*Reads here.

:cautious:

jtsalien, Mr. EPCOT and Frogki like this.
  13. Frogki

Frogki Veteran Member

It may very well be getting one soon!

twebber55 and Joe like this.
  14. quinnmac000

Multiple sources but here you go...
    Pokémon in Figures | The Pokémon Company
    Star Wars Worth More Than Harry Potter and James Bond, Combined | Fortune.com
    What is "Harry Potter" Worth? | Money
    The Highest Grossing Movie Franchises of All Time
    List of the highest-grossing media franchises - Wikipedia

DoubleJ likes this.
  15. shiekra38

shiekra38 Veteran Member

I think LC was beautiful and well executed before Potter....yet...

16. twebber55

twebber55 Veteran Member

thats a great point
    IP can help for sure

EDIT: NFL actually proves the point even further, great princess franchise and very average work means very little gain

Last edited: Apr 20, 2017
    DoubleJ likes this.
  17. twebber55

twebber55 Veteran Member

DoubleJ likes this.
  18. quinnmac000

Or maybe they count each character film as its own franchise vs combined them all into one. Iron Man own franchise, Avengers its own franchise, Hulk its own franchise.

twebber55 likes this.
  19. twebber55

twebber55 Veteran Member

avengers would still be in the list
    but your info was good so no biggie

20. DoubleJ

DoubleJ Rookie

The problem with these figures is they're all worldwide value. Pokémon's value is 45% based in Japan. Given that the overwhelming majority of Orlando theme park visitors are U.S. residents, it would be ill-reasoned to consider foreign value.
    Japan would be the place to put it!
    Fairly certain SW has surpassed Pokémon as well.
    All cases I've seen group MCU into one franchise, so I doubt it.