Pandora: The World of Avatar Announcement, Construction, & Preview Discussion | Page 237 | Inside Universal Forums

Pandora: The World of Avatar Announcement, Construction, & Preview Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Got an update that the boat ride is complete at this point (or nearly so) and got confirmation that yes, it is all screens with the one animatronic (and that's it), and is basically a copy of the Shanghai Pirates with screens showing Pandora instead of under water. That one animatronic they showed is it, but there are two so if one breaks down they can switch it out quickly. If I remember correctly there are 26 boats with a capacity of 8 guests each. Not sure the ride time.

Two of the four simulators are ready to go at the point with the other two nearing completion. The exterior work and queue areas seem to be the only thing keeping Pandora from opening sooner than summer at this point.

Got an update that the boat ride is complete at this point (or nearly so) and got confirmation that yes, it is all screens with the one animatronic (and that's it), and is basically a copy of the Shanghai Pirates with screens showing Pandora instead of under water.

Thanks for the info, but it's disappointing. I'm now prepared to be extremely underwhelmed.

I'm a bit disappointed by all the screenz (Not to make another debate) but if anybody can do a screen justice, it's James Cameron.

Yeah, but if the attractions are less than expected (screenz and 1 animatronic), who cares?
You did say it was basically a copy of Shanghai Pirates, just Avatar Themed. I see no reason why that should give anyone any reason to look down on the boat ride. Everyone I know or have heard from who has been on Shanghai Pirates absolutely loves it.

Reactions: Joel and brianlo
The Disney fans will love it no matter what, and most people will enjoy it as well. It's just the idea that it's entirely screen based with just one animatronic. If Universal did the same attraction, the Disney crowd would bash it, since Disney is doing it, it will be the second coming of Walt.

Got an update that the boat ride is complete at this point (or nearly so) and got confirmation that yes, it is all screens with the one animatronic (and that's it), and is basically a copy of the Shanghai Pirates with screens showing Pandora instead of under water. That one animatronic they showed is it, but there are two so if one breaks down they can switch it out quickly. If I remember correctly there are 26 boats with a capacity of 8 guests each. Not sure the ride time.

Two of the four simulators are ready to go at the point with the other two nearing completion. The exterior work and queue areas seem to be the only thing keeping Pandora from opening sooner than summer at this point.

Shanghai's Pirates looks awesome and to me is a great use of screens, I would be stoked if the Avatar boat ride is a patch on this, I have a feeling it will.

Thanks for the info, but it's disappointing. I'm now prepared to be extremely underwhelmed.

Not sure why, you at least have to give it a chance.

I'm a bit disappointed by all the screenz (Not to make another debate) but if anybody can do a screen justice, it's James Cameron.

I don't think the screens will be so obvious, I'm expecting a decent attraction here.

Reactions: Scott W.
Shanghai's Pirates looks awesome and to me is a great use of screens, I would be stoked if the Avatar boat ride is a patch on this, I have a feeling it will.

Not sure why, you at least have to give it a chance.

I don't think the screens will be so obvious, I'm expecting a decent attraction here.
i agree Shaghai blends screens with real sets, if thats what we re getting than this should be a nice D ticket attraction to compliment the bigger attraction

i agree Shaghai blends screens with real sets, if thats what we re getting than this should be a nice D ticket attraction to compliment the bigger attraction
Typically these type of boat rides are categorized as E Ticket attractions like PoC and Small World.

Is Small World classified as an E ticket?
It was when it originally opened in the '60s and '70s, but considering that the ticket book system hasn't been in use for decades, technically nothing is classified as any type of ticket anymore. One can only speculate. If the ticket system were still around, it would almost certainly look a lot different than it used to. I'd imagine things like "it's a small world" would slide down the scale to a D-ticket with the advent of mega-attractions like the Tower of Terror and the Indiana Jones Adventure. Disney marketing might tout things like the Little Mermaid ride as their "latest E-ticket" but in reality if the ticket system were still around it would probably just be a C- or D-ticket. So, sure, in the context of the ticket system as it was in the '60s and '70s both of the Avatar rides would absolutely be classified as E-tickets, but in the modern day without any kind of guidelines for classification that have organically evolved over the intervening years, there's no telling.

Long story short, I think it's totally meaningless to try to classify any modern attractions with the old ticket system, unless it's a truly top-of-the-line, groundbreaking attraction like the Tower of Terror that would obviously be classified as an E-ticket.

Reactions: Nick and twebber55
It was when it originally opened in the '60s and '70s, but considering that the ticket book system hasn't been in use for decades, technically nothing is classified as any type of ticket anymore. One can only speculate. If the ticket system were still around, it would almost certainly look a lot different than it used to. I'd imagine things like "it's a small world" would slide down the scale to a D-ticket with the advent of mega-attractions like the Tower of Terror and the Indiana Jones Adventure. Disney marketing might tout things like the Little Mermaid ride as their "latest E-ticket" but in reality if the ticket system were still around it would probably just be a C- or D-ticket. So, sure, in the context of the ticket system as it was in the '60s and '70s both of the Avatar rides would absolutely be classified as E-tickets, but in the modern day without any kind of guidelines for classification that have organically evolved over the intervening years, there's no telling.

Long story short, I think it's totally meaningless to try to classify any modern attractions with the old ticket system, unless it's a truly top-of-the-line, groundbreaking attraction like the Tower of Terror that would obviously be classified as an E-ticket.
Its not just type, but also popularity as the tickets were used to spread around\. "Hall of Presidents" was an E and Country Bear was a D but when the lines for CBJ got out of control, they swapped them. Since Small World still pulls decent wait times, it would probably sitll be an E

Reactions: Parkscope Joe
Status
Not open for further replies.