Peacemaker (HBO Max) | Page 3 | Inside Universal Forums

Peacemaker (HBO Max)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Not to double post. But…I mean - I am very very happy that DC is taking this direction with their television production. I hope we can amass some more quality content on HBO quickly. I know we have Batgirl, Penguin, Green Lantern Corp, and Gotham PD in the works. If they are 3/4s as strong as this show, I’ll be very happy.

Also, I really wasn’t expecting those cameos. Telling Aquaman to f off to his face. Just great.

This show was so freaking good from front to back. I know James Gunn is doing a 40 minute GotG Holiday special, but if they have any brains, they'll grab him to direct a Marvel show from front to back. This is the first Max Original connected to the DCEU and imo it's better than any Star Wars or MCU Disney+ originals, only matched by other DC shows like Watchmen, The Boys, or *maybe* Doom Patrol as far as genre shows go.

I went into this show with very low expectations. Peacemaker was my least favorite character from The Suicide Squad and seemed fairly one-note. However, I'm incredibly satisfied with this show. The supporting cast is so lovable and very well cast, the plot is engaging and feels like television and not a movie cut up into several episodes. I'm excited to see where season two will go.

Reactions: SeventyOne and Nico
I do think it's interesting who was displayed as a part of the Justice League. No Batman in a JL group is crazy, but i'm assuming that's because Affleck is leaving and Batgirl is coming in?

Reactions: Nico
I do think it's interesting who was displayed as a part of the Justice League. No Batman in a JL group is crazy, but i'm assuming that's because Affleck is leaving and Batgirl is coming in?

So Gunn actually talked about it! He got Jason due to relationships with him from past talks, and Ezra was more a surprise that came in as an extra incentive. In-fact, Marvel was the one that shot Ezra's portion.

Reactions: Nick
Loved it! and love how Gunn made it all happen.

My biggest take-away is the character arcs. Chris, Adebayo, John, are all better people now. Most notably, Vigilante is not! :lmao:

I loved this more than The Boys and maybe Doom Patrol*.

*i read those Grant Morrison DP issues in high school so many of those episodes hit me right here.

You reached out and touched my heart.

So Gunn actually talked about it! He got Jason due to relationships with him from past talks, and Ezra was more a surprise that came in as an extra incentive. In-fact, Marvel was the one that shot Ezra's portion.

That's wild that Marvel let him shoot content for DC and Peacemaker during filming of GotG 3. I guess I don't see Feige as the kind of guy who minds too much and tbh, they're probably just glad that Gunn finally came back from DC and they were able to get the Cosmic Rewind & Holiday Special footage shot and are in the process of filming GotG 3 finally almost done as well.

Loved it! and love how Gunn made it all happen.

My biggest take-away is the character arcs. Chris, Adebayo, John, are all better people now. Most notably, Vigilante is not! :lmao:

I loved this more than The Boys and maybe Doom Patrol*.

*i read those Grant Morrison DP issues in high school so many of those episodes hit me right here.

You reached out and touched my heart.

I think Vigilante is an intentionally static character. He's there to represent the violent tendencies from Peacemaker's past and is a good foil for Chris.

IMO, this right here is the end of the debate of whether dropping a big event series like this all at once (i.e. almost everything on Netflix) or doing a weekly release strategy works better.

Biggest single day performance for a show, sure, that's great. But the finale viewership being up 44% over when the show debuted?!? They almost doubled their audience from when they dropped the first three episodes to when the finale happened, which would've never happened if they weren't releasing weekly.

I'm glad HBO Max, Amazon, Disney+, Apple TV+, Peacock, etc (pretty much all that aren't Netflix) have now moved to some form of weekly release strategy whether it's one episode per week or episodes are released in batches.

IMO, this right here is the end of the debate of whether dropping a big event series like this all at once (i.e. almost everything on Netflix) or doing a weekly release strategy works better.

Biggest single day performance for a show, sure, that's great. But the finale viewership being up 44% over when the show debuted?!? They almost doubled their audience from when they dropped the first three episodes to when the finale happened, which would've never happened if they weren't releasing weekly.

I'm glad HBO Max, Amazon, Disney+, Apple TV+, Peacock, etc (pretty much all that aren't Netflix) have now moved to some form of weekly release strategy whether it's one episode per week or episodes are released in batches.

I always thought a release schedule over time vs a binge model was better for allowing people to catch up and actually have time to have discussion on shows.

Reactions: ghostsarejerks
I always thought a release schedule over time vs a binge model was better for allowing people to catch up and actually have time to have discussion on shows.
I remember before Disney+ really started it (as far as I know) by doing it with The Mandalorian that there was a lot of talk about if Netflix needed to change up the way they released things. They had so many shows out one after another that even a huge show like Stranger Things was in and out of the zeitgeist within a pretty short period of time and sort of forgotten pretty quickly. They have started changing a bit by releasing seasons shows of with a more established fanbase in parts. Ozark just took this route and funny enough, Stranger Things 4 will also be taking the route in May.

I wonder if this show will get Disney back on track with their shows a little more

Bigger is not always better and fans just want more characters they can love that make sense over....here is this character he's from "x" that makes this cool

I wonder if this show will get Disney back on track with their shows a little more

Bigger is not always better and fans just want more characters they can love that make sense over....here is this character he's from "x" that makes this cool
What made this show so great was exactly that - it was as loosely connected to the DCEU as possible and it was basically GotG if it was Rated R, which made it extremely likable.

I think the problem with Disney+ shows (both Marvel and Star Wars) is that they aren’t just telling a full and fun story based around a character for fun.

The Disney+ shows all have to fit within an existing Universe, whether it’s the MCU or the Star Wars Universe AND they have to be capped at PG-13 because Disney. That’s what puts Peacemaker above the Disney+ shows imo.

Reactions: Journey_On
What made this show so great was exactly that - it was as loosely connected to the DCEU as possible and it was basically GotG if it was Rated R, which made it extremely likable.

I think the problem with Disney+ shows (both Marvel and Star Wars) is that they aren’t just telling a full and fun story based around a character for fun.

The Disney+ shows all have to fit within an existing Universe, whether it’s the MCU or the Star Wars Universe AND they have to be capped at PG-13 because Disney. That’s what puts Peacemaker above the Disney+ shows imo.
But you can fit into great characters into the MCU without them connecting or even if they are connecting

The bigger issue is people in the MCU aren't focusing on the characters we have already. Loki I think people really like because it focuses hard on the main character and then on the two other main side characters

Hawkeye and Boba seem more wanting to just throw people into a show because its cool, even if they dont fit or are used in a poor way....like Why the F is jack in Hawkeye...he isn't a villain and basically takes away from the main story/characters and then you have Boba which while yes the mando stuff is cool its the wrong show...I hope they just focus on the main characters more andalso make better villains for the TV shows

Reactions: SeventyOne
But you can fit into great characters into the MCU without them connecting or even if they are connecting

The bigger issue is people in the MCU aren't focusing on the characters we have already. Loki I think people really like because it focuses hard on the main character and then on the two other main side characters

Hawkeye and Boba seem more wanting to just throw people into a show because its cool, even if they dont fit or are used in a poor way....like Why the F is jack in Hawkeye...he isn't a villain and basically takes away from the main story/characters and then you have Boba which while yes the mando stuff is cool its the wrong show...I hope they just focus on the main characters more andalso make better villains for the TV shows
What you are describing is a problem of all of the shows being connected to a shared universe.

Reactions: SeventyOne
What you are describing is a problem of all of the shows being connected to a shared universe.
PK is literally in the DC

They make references all the time and had a Cameo at the end

So it can be done, my point isn't Moon Knight can't have Ghost Rider or Black Knight show up...its about them not taking away from the focus of the show and mainly just better Villains that work.
I bet in PK season 2 we see more hero's from other movies/shows but as long as Harley doesn't take away from the main cast, then cool.

PK is literally in the DC

They make references all the time and had a Cameo at the end

So it can be done, my point isn't Moon Knight can't have Ghost Rider or Black Knight show up...its about them not taking away from the focus of the show and mainly just better Villains that work.
I bet in PK season 2 we see more hero's from other movies/shows but as long as Harley doesn't take away from the main cast, then cool.
It was as loosely connected as possible.

It was as loosely connected as possible.
Takes place after a movie in the DCU, has characters from said movie, then has cameo's from characters outside the movie PK came from, and every episode name drops someone from the DCU.

Surreeeeeee not at all apart of the DCU at all and sure season 2 wont be as well.