Peacemaker (HBO Max) | Page 2 | Inside Universal Forums

Peacemaker (HBO Max)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
So I dont hate the show...but the really positive reviews confuse me. Its good but people are making this sound like its amazing.

I think so far its cool and a chill show, dont love it as much as say Young Justice which is the public seems to ignore because its a cartoon
It’s because it’s got a vibe similar to The Boys in tone and we know how popular The Boys is. This is a show that’s very easy for most comic book audiences to love.

Reactions: SeventyOne
So I dont hate the show...but the really positive reviews confuse me. Its good but people are making this sound like its amazing.

There's something to be said for rock bottom expectations. (Contrast with Boba Fett, who's biggest fault seems to be not being nearly as good as The Mandalorian.)

That said ... sorry, this show is amazing. R-rated, unchecked James Gunn. Dark comedy mixed with characters with true heart.The music alone is phenomenal. Obviously not to everyone's taste--if you didn't like The Suicide Squad, don't even bother--but I looked forward to watching the new episode all day.

Reactions: Journey_On and Nick
Obviously not to everyone's taste--if you didn't like The Suicide Squad, don't even bother--but I looked forward to watching the new episode all day.
Exactly this. This show is 100% not going to be for everyone. I’d even say it’s catering to a niche market in a way. Like you said, if you didn’t like The Suicide Squad, this simply isn’t your show.

Reactions: SeventyOne
Just watched this week's episode and oh boy did this episode do a ton of great things! Non-spoiler review below although some minor plot details, but if you're in this thread, i'm assuming you watched the episode.

The comedy kept up like the previous three episodes, but what I loved about this episode in particular is that it managed to do a lot of the things that Book of Boba Fett has been struggling with, do it effectively, and make it look easy. It naturally told some backstory without drowning us in it, there was a ton of character development, that Vigilante fight was great, and THAT REVEAL. What a twist.

Reactions: Nico and SeventyOne
Just watched this week's episode and oh boy did this episode do a ton of great things! Non-spoiler review below although some minor plot details, but if you're in this thread, i'm assuming you watched the episode.

The comedy kept up like the previous three episodes, but what I loved about this episode in particular is that it managed to do a lot of the things that Book of Boba Fett has been struggling with, do it effectively, and make it look easy. It naturally told some backstory without drowning us in it, there was a ton of character development, that Vigilante fight was great, and THAT REVEAL. What a twist.

I get what you mean, and exactly right about making it feel natural. Also, yeah the fight was great (as was an earlier one), but the lead-up ... it's hard to have a character spout off curse words a mile a minute like he has Tourettes and do intelligent comedy at the same time, but Gunn and the actor pull it off. Tarantino-esque, and as I Gen Xer I mean that as the highest praise.

Reactions: Nick and Nico
So my opinion is slowing starting to love the show...but I still didn't care for the first two episodes..and think its because Peace Maker had to become "better" and lost a little of what him unique in TSS but Vigilante is a show stealer.

Vigilante is just such an interesting character and he has such a range of being goofy to serious. I hope he doesn't get "too" good or human as well, I like when characters are a little off

Here's that Episode 4 Vigilante scene that I was saying was great for everyone to enjoy again. The way Gunn was able to write this scene to be both comedic (without being cheesy) and you still believe him as the threatening ninja like character that he is. Sure he's human, but he's also bad ass.

This along with The Suicide Squad itself are the best things that the DCEU have done by far imo. I really wonder what the viewership is like for this show though and if it's enough to warrant a second season.

I like the show and would like to see more like, I doubt this show gets "amazing" numbers unless unlike TSS people seemed to give this a chance. But I feel like this show will be a slow burn and be something people watch months from now after hearing their friends talk about it for soooo long.

Episode 5 has some cool action but mainly the bonding of the group was the best part...and that ending. This show likes to make sure you want to tune in next week to see what happens
As soon as Adebayo put on that helmet, I knew exactly what was gonna happen. I have a feeling he'll snap out of it and then the group will figure out what to do. Or John Cena will just come out of nowhere and shoot his head off :lol:

I am ready for next week episode

God this show should have a great ending from the set up. This show has a great cast and I can't believe i like these side characters more than superman..lol

Was thinking the other day, if you include The Comedian from Watchmen (a Peacemaker pastiche but essentially the original character), Peacemaker is 3-0 in live action projects. No other DC hero has close to that good a record.

Reactions: Jerroddragon
While i love the show for a multitude of reasons, including some incredible characters, writing, and kinetic cemera work and direction, Peacemaker being revealed as Bi really made me love this show a lot. As a bi dude, it means a lot to see a good hearted, despite shitty behavior, character representing our weirdly avoided community. I guess since queerness is seen as some type of lack of masculintiy, having someone like John Cena play a queer character is super rad and could be helpful in changing stereotypes and stigmas. Sorry to dwell a bit on this, but i just really loved it and feel its emblematic of many great decisions the show makes. Also, Vigilante is the best and i need him to gain an animal sidekick for himself.

Reactions: PenguinCowboy
While i love the show for a multitude of reasons, including some incredible characters, writing, and kinetic cemera work and direction, Peacemaker being revealed as Bi really made me love this show a lot. As a bi dude, it means a lot to see a good hearted, despite shitty behavior, character representing our weirdly avoided community. I guess since queerness is seen as some type of lack of masculintiy, having someone like John Cena play a queer character is super rad and could be helpful in changing stereotypes and stigmas. Sorry to dwell a bit on this, but i just really loved it and feel its emblematic of many great decisions the show makes. Also, Vigilante is the best and i need him to gain an animal sidekick for himself.
I must have totally missed this reveal, was this related to the conversation about the found diary?

Share your views about Vigilante, he is a highlight for me. Loving the show.

I just caught up on episodes 6 & 7. While I don’t have many thoughts to share overall, I just love this show, think it’s one of the best things the DCEU has done, and really hope it gets a Season 2.

It was mentioned during White Dragon’s monologue at the end of the episode
Additionally, he has a threesome with Vigilante and the Neighbor early on, which i think was hinting that Chris is down for anything lol. Also, didn't put it in my earlier comment, but i genuinely cannot rewatch the opening scene of the newest episode. I'm very rarely disturbed, but Gunn really just went all out, and I think it helps us connect with peacemaker super deeply.

Also, on the the topic of vigilante, I weirdly love seeing a truly sociopathic character in media. Too often, a character like vigilante's arc would be that he predictably learns to love and respect other people, but (and with respect to anyone experiencing sociopathy) he seems way too mentally ill to ever actually achieve that? Also, the actor for Murn will be portraying a major character in GOTG 3, very excited to see him again!

Reactions: Nico