Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Peacock (Streaming Service)

If a show takes place in the 80s, the ads attached will emulate past 80s commercials during the break. That sort of thing

I was moreso struck by the one-minute ads; in the back of my mind, I was expecting Amazon ads where there's a short, skippable one in the beginning. Probably very unreasonable in retrospect, though.

Emulating ads reminds me of that one bit in Mr Robot. Could be neat, but my main worry is that ads on streaming services get weirdly repetitive sometime, so the novelty can wear off fast. Also, will companies just keep making period-appropriate ads as time goes on?

I was moreso struck by the one-minute ads; in the back of my mind, I was expecting Amazon ads where there's a short, skippable one in the beginning. Probably very unreasonable in retrospect, though.

Emulating ads reminds me of that one bit in Mr Robot. Could be neat, but my main worry is that ads on streaming services get weirdly repetitive sometime, so the novelty can wear off fast. Also, will companies just keep making period-appropriate ads as time goes on?

It was part of the deal they made with the companies they partnered with. Oh and also don’t worry about repetitive ads ;) they hit on that at 5 different conferences today that the way they are doing ads will be completely different than how people have been expecting so people will be fine with ads than no ads (ads make them money as well so it’s understandable)

I couldn’t care less about the type of commercial that plays. An ad is an ad is an ad.

everyday we are bombarded with ads anyway from self promotion to sponsored posts and so much more so commercials don’t bother me and what’s is the super bowls biggest thing which people can’t wait for besides the game...ads. People wait for movie trailers which are what adsz So sometimes commercials are more than just commercials

So does this mean they move everything from the WWE Network ? And if so how would it affect everyone not in the US with access to Peacock ?

The History content is sort of their version of having National Geographic like D+. Nothing that will make people sign up, but it's quality content on the NatGeo side. I know History Channel (ironically) plays a bit into conspiracy theories with some of their more popular shows and people tend to love that stuff.

The History content is sort of their version of having National Geographic like D+. Nothing that will make people sign up, but it's quality content on the NatGeo side. I know History Channel (ironically) plays a bit into conspiracy theories with some of their more popular shows and people tend to love that stuff.
A&E & History 'used to' have decent historical programs, with emphasis on 'used to'. Their older catalog stuff is quite good, on a par with National Geographic. But the last 7 to 10 years is mostly reality show garbage.....Peacock would be better off with the older catalog from A&E & History. There are many hundreds of shows and mini series' of high quality historical and biographical content.

Last edited:
A&E & History 'used to' have decent historical programs, with emphasis on 'used to'. Their older catalog stuff is quite good, on a par with National Geographic. But the last 7 to 10 years is mostly reality show garbage.....Peacock would be better off with the older catalog from A&E & History. There are many hundreds of shows and mini series' of high quality historical and biographical content.

From A&E, it looks like they grabbed all the crime shows which makes sense since Comcast owned Oxygen is just crime shows all day everyday. But History if you look at the shows they wanted its the UFO/SCi-Fi programming with Pawn Stars

From A&E, it looks like they grabbed all the crime shows which makes sense since Comcast owned Oxygen is just crime shows all day everyday. But History if you look at the shows they wanted its the UFO/SCi-Fi programming with Pawn Stars
Yes, that's why I added they'd be better off if they had bought the older catalog, which is pretty decent.

Anyone think this is perfect for the streaming service?

Peacock to launch tomorrow for Comcast subscribers and NBCU employees for free.

At the call today highlighting the service, the newest announcement is they have decided to add curated channels similar to PlutoTV. in addtion to on demand viewing. There will be curated channels dedicated to shows like Saturday Night Live or American Greed as well as a range of other genre and show-specific interests. There will be 20 such channels at launch, with more than 75 expected by the end of 2020.

There's an audience for this service, but it's pretty much restricted to Xfinity subscribers who don't have to pay anything. I don't see The Office+Parks and Rec being enough for people who aren't getting Peacock for free. Comcast will want to keep this service up for another year or two, but long term prospects are shaky if the original programming isn't up to par. This service is pretty comparable to CBS All Access which basically relies on the two Star Trek series to gain subs.

Did anybody try this today? The first day is only for people with the dumb Comcast streaming box, so I don't yet have it as a normal cable subscriber.

Such a huge mistake not to change the release of this service to everyone from July to now. Everyone is stuck at home right now - it's the perfect time to capitalize.

Such a huge mistake not to change the release of this service to everyone from July to now. Everyone is stuck at home right now - it's the perfect time to capitalize.
But this allows them to work out issues with a select few instead of ticking off everyone.