Peacock (Streaming Service) | Page 15 | Inside Universal Forums

Peacock (Streaming Service)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I think this really shows an organizational flaw over at Comcast/Universal.

Disney seems to view their parks more cohesively in the company. It’s why shopDisney has parks merch, Disney+ has parks shows, parks have attractions designed as movies produced, and so on.

Comcast seems to view the parks as a separate thing from the content side. There just isn’t enough synergy from both directions. They seem to push content in the parks, but they don’t push the parks the other way. It’s crazy that there’s no Universal Parks online store (or even a Universal store in general). It’s crazy there’s no parks content or parks lore like Disney’s built.
The difference is Comcast bought Universal. They are there as a profit center, but I don't know if Comcast sees the full potential.

Watch the Imagineering story, though, and you'll realize that on Disney's side, the Parks and the film division have always had close ties.

Reactions: GadgetGuru
Disney the parks are used to promote a product...(Pirates of the Caribbean, Jungle Cruise, Haunted Mansion)....Universal parks are based on IP that is not original.

As for the dreamworks catalog, Hulu has exclusivity for those products. A part of the big focus currrently on network television is Universal is waiting for the Syfy/USA/Bravo deal to end with Amazon Prime.

Last point, Universal Parks was about to get a workplace comedy on NBC but I don't know the status of that project due to COVID.

I think this really shows an organizational flaw over at Comcast/Universal.

Disney seems to view their parks more cohesively in the company. It’s why shopDisney has parks merch, Disney+ has parks shows, parks have attractions designed as movies produced, and so on.

Comcast seems to view the parks as a separate thing from the content side. There just isn’t enough synergy from both directions. They seem to push content in the parks, but they don’t push the parks the other way. It’s crazy that there’s no Universal Parks online store (or even a Universal store in general). It’s crazy there’s no parks content or parks lore like Disney’s built.
The Universal parks themselves have a somewhat competitive, “this is how we do it,” view amongst themselves, especially between Orlando and Hollywood. Universal Creative’s structure and processes aren’t even uniform across coasts. Effective, cross-media synergy isn’t something Comcast has gotten to yet.

It would be a complete miss-opportunity if Comcast doesn't include any discussion or topic of Universal theme parks upon the Peacock official launch this July. No any amusement park operator in the world can be as successfully competitive to Walt Disney theme parks than Universal Studios. Universal has some recognizable theme park attractions in history like Disney does that made the guests be so interested in these parks (like I am). I know that Universal parks don't really have the type of legacy that Disney parks have, but we shouldn't minimize how how important Universal theme parks are. They have to include at least some documentary of how Universal theme parks got started in Peacock at some point.

It would be a complete miss-opportunity if Comcast doesn't include any discussion or topic of Universal theme parks upon the Peacock official launch this July. No any amusement park operator in the world can be as successfully competitive to Walt Disney theme parks than Universal Studios. Universal has some recognizable theme park attractions in history like Disney does that made the guests be so interested in these parks (like I am). I know that Universal parks don't really have the type of legacy that Disney parks have, but we shouldn't minimize how how important Universal theme parks are. They have to include at least some documentary of how Universal theme parks got started in Peacock at some point.
Just based on the organizational structure of the parks, NBC/Universal, and Comcast itself, I wouldn’t expect anything like that for a long while.

I would kill to have a Steven Spielberg and George Lucas sit down interview discussing the conversation they had concerning the original Kong animatronic that was built for the Tram Tour in Hollywood. That conversation is key to the creation of the Universal Theme Park Empire. It would be great to capture their thoughts on it now before it's lost to the netherworld.

"In 1986, however, a bit of synchronicity came into play. Steven Spielberg’s former college roommate, Peter Alexander (a former Disney Imagineer), was working on the King Kong figure that was to be added to the tram tour in Hollywood. Spielberg was impressed by the lifelike Kong and asked Alexander to work on design ideas for Back to the Future. It just so happened that Spielberg’s good friend George Lucas was working with Disney on Star Tours, and had chided Spielberg that Universal could never produce such a ride. The game was on."

Reactions: Paulio
Just based on the organizational structure of the parks, NBC/Universal, and Comcast itself, I wouldn’t expect anything like that for a long while.
The (now indefinitely postponed) Peacock Live event gives me some hope. There was some amount of parks/content synergy that occurred to make that happen.

I would kill to have a Steven Spielberg and George Lucas sit down interview discussing the conversation they had concerning the original Kong animatronic that was built for the Tram Tour in Hollywood. That conversation is key to the creation of the Universal Theme Park Empire. It would be great to capture their thoughts on it now before it's lost to the netherworld.

Not only that, they need to get on with the history of how Universal theme parks got started, starting with the opening of the Studio Tour (not the 1964 one we know today, but from 1915), letting guests in going behind the scenes during the silent film era, how the idea was revisited in the 1950s, the conversation why certain MCA executives want the theme parks to happen, etc. There's no reason why Comcast/NBCUniversal should ignore their important part of history even with their current organization regarding this topic.

Reactions: Disneyhead
So here's a question: do we have a definitive list of what will be on the Premium service versus the Free service? I ask because I saw this article on Peacock's marketing and trailers and they include a lot of different shows and movies on there while really pushing the "Free" messaging, despite the fact that some of the content, specifically Brave New World and English Premier League, are probably not on the free tier.

If everything in that trailer is really on the free tier, then no harm, no foul. But if some of it is free and some isn't, they run a serious risk of causing a backlash, when the trailer was promising free and the actual service not having it out. Peacock's leads have basically said that Peacock's free tier is a big "front porch" for the real service, which is the Premium one. That seems incongruous with the messaging of that trailer, which seems to make it suggest that everything's free. One solution might be offering everyone an extended free trial of Premium to keep their "free" promise technically intact.

Last edited:
So here's a question: do we have a definitive list of what will be on the Premium service versus the Free service? I ask because I saw this article on Peacock's marketing and trailers and they include a lot of different shows and movies on there while really pushing the "Free" messaging, despite the fact that some of the content, specifically Brave New World and English Premier League, are probably not on the free tier.

If everything in that trailer is really on the free tier, then no harm, no foul. But if some of it is free and some isn't, they run a serious risk of causing a backlash, when the trailer was promising free and the actual service not having it out. Peacock's leads have basically said that Peacock's free tier is a big "front porch" for the real service, which is the Premium one. That seems incongruous with the messaging of that trailer, which seems to make it suggest that everything's free. One solution might be offering everyone an extended free trial of Premium to keep their "free" promise technically intact.

If I remember correctly, you get like one episode of the original programming with the free tier.

During the pandemic, Peacock has been able to “accelerate our deal flow” for content licensing, Strauss says, citing pacts with A+E Networks, Warner Bros., Sony and Paramount. The Peacock Premium tier will have close to 20,000 hours of content at launch (versus the 15,000 hours NBCU projected earlier this year), and Peacock Free will have more than half the titles in the upper tier.

The streamer will feature current-season programming from NBC and Telemundo; access to hundreds of movies, like “Jurassic Park,” “Do the Right Thing” and “Shrek”; and TV comedies such as “Parks and Recreation,” “30 Rock,” “Saturday Night Live,” “King of Queens,” “Everybody Loves Raymond” and “Two and a Half Men.” Peacock also is home to dramas including “Law & Order: SVU,” “Downton Abbey,” “Yellowstone,” “Friday Night Lights” and “House,” as well as kids programming including “Curious George” and DreamWorks Animation’s “Where’s Waldo?”

Peacock will include daily programming highlights from NBC News outlets, NBC Sports, E! News and Access Hollywood, as well as late-night fare from Jimmy Fallon and Seth Meyers. It will have an NFL Wild Card game in January 2021 and sports like Premier League soccer and Ryder Cup coverage. News and sports are “an important part of our content strategy,” says Frances Manfredi, president of content acquisition and strategy for Peacock and NBCUniversal Digital Enterprises.

As Manfredi concedes, Peacock isn’t going to get content from some quarters. “It would be stupid to deny that the vertical integration isn’t happening in the market,” she says. On the other hand, the Peacock acquisitions team has had “a lot of discussions with studios that felt their content potentially gets lost on really large platforms. They felt we would give them more attention in terms of promotion,” according to Manfredi. “Nobody has said, ‘Nah, we don’t want to be on Peacock.’”

Using data from the initial Comcast test, reaching 15 million Xfinity X1 and Flex customers, Strauss and the Peacock team have made some adjustments ahead of the broader midsummer launch. Strauss had T-shirts made for the crew with the word “Pivot”— a well-known Shell directive — emblazoned across the back.

Among the learnings: People were looking for an escape from the news, with viewing of classic movies like “E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial” and Hitchcock films performing well, along with nostalgic comedies like “30 Rock,” “Frazier” and “Everybody Loves Raymond.” Peacock adjusted to account for the viewing behavior.

Also, Peacock users gravitated to the curated channels on the service, around brands like NBC News Now, shows like “SNL” and genres like true crime. For the U.S. launch, Peacock will more than double those channels, to more than 40, with a longer-term target of having around 75. (That will include a channel around “Keeping Up With the Kardashians.”)

“Sometimes when you turn on the TV, you just want to watch TV,” Strauss says. “There’s this notion that ‘Nobody watches TV’ — but the data suggests something different.”

I'll use the free (ad-supported) version, because... free. But unless there's some A++ content that's a must see hitting this service one the Premium side, I don't see myself paying anytime soon. Although, like HBOMax, they still don't have a deal with Roku or Amazon Prime yet, so that could be problematic for them at launch if they don't solve that. It has severely botched HBO Max. Although that's a bit different because Roku and Prime are saying to Warner, "You guys already have an app on here called HBO Now and this isn't much different, why should we bend to you?"

Last edited:
Reactions: rageofthegods
I'll use the free (ad-supported) version, because... free. But unless there's some A++ content that's a must see hitting this service one the Premium side, I don't see myself paying anytime soon. Although, like HBOMax, they still don't have a deal with Roku or Amazon Prime yet, so that could be problematic for them at launch if they don't solve that. It has severely botched HBO Max. Although that's a bit different because Roku and Prime are saying to Warner, "You guys already have an app on here called HBO Now and this isn't much different, why should we bend to you?"

Nah...it has to do with revenue sharing and Comcast is in a lawsuit with ROKU.

I'll use the free (ad-supported) version, because... free. But unless there's some A++ content that's a must see hitting this service one the Premium side, I don't see myself paying anytime soon.

My family's on Xfinity so I get premium for free. So far, Angelyne and Battlestar are serious ear-perkers for me, and I'm excited to see what Julie Plec and Seth MacFarlane do, but really I don't know what I would do if I didn't get the premium content for free.

Part of me wonders why there isn't more of an effort to get Sky series over. There's three on the docket right now, not bad, but stuff like Gangs of London (which was apparently being shopped around after Cinemax let it go, before it went to AMC) aren't going on the service. They paid 40b for it and are supercharging its pipeline, so why isn't there more on it right now? Idk, just weird.

Nah...it has to do with revenue sharing and Comcast is in a lawsuit with ROKU.
It's always revenue sharing. Roku is the biggest streamer and they deserve a higher share than if your app is going on Xbox for example. Roku always has disputes over this. Disney+ had a similar thing (but were able to get it solved in time for launch).

My family's on Xfinity so I get premium for free. So far, Angelyne and Battlestar are serious ear-perkers for me, and I'm excited to see what Julie Plec and Seth MacFarlane do, but really I don't know what I would do if I didn't get the premium content for free.

Part of me wonders why there isn't more of an effort to get Sky series over. There's three on the docket right now, not bad, but stuff like Gangs of London (which was apparently being shopped around after Cinemax let it go, before it went to AMC) aren't going on the service. They paid 40b for it and are supercharging its pipeline, so why isn't there more on it right now? Idk, just weird.
I heard there's still ads on Premium, is that true?

It's always revenue sharing. Roku is the biggest streamer and they deserve a higher share than if your app is going on Xbox for example. Roku always has disputes over this. Disney+ had a similar thing (but were able to get it solved in time for launch).

I heard there's still ads on Premium, is that true?

Yup, goes free (ads and some content), Premium (ads and all content), then ad-free.

Sky is still separate from NBCUniversal which is probably the big issue with pushing more Sky series over for now.

Reactions: rageofthegods
Yup, goes free (ads and some content), Premium (ads and all content), then ad-free.
I can't imagine paying extra and still getting ads, but I just looked at the price and there's a deal for $30 for the first year, which is $2.50/month. So I guess at such a low price point, I could deal with a few ads.