Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Peacock (Streaming Service)

Because Universal films will end up on HBO Max...that came from Universal and WB. So I can understand the confusion on what things are going where.
(Glass, Love Actually, US, Little and Nottinghill are all Universal releases)
HBO Max Programming: TV And Film Titles That Will Stream On WarnerMedia Service – Deadline

Its a reasonable question.
OK, but none of those are tentpole franchises that will automatically make someone more likely to subscribe like Potter. That would be like if Disney just decided not to put Star Wars or Marvel films on their service and instead decided to be charitable and allow another service to put them on their platform. Or if Disney gave up the Pixar catalog to Apple TV+ because Pixar used to be owned by Steve Jobs.

You don't give away brands that will carry your service unless there's a contractual reason and I don't see any contractual reason why Potter would be obligated to go to Peacock.

OK, but none of those are tentpole franchises that will automatically make someone more likely to subscribe like Potter. That would be like if Disney just decided not to put Star Wars or Marvel films on their service and instead decided to be charitable and allow another service to put them on their platform. Or if Disney gave up the Pixar catalog to Apple TV+ because Pixar used to be owned by Steve Jobs.

You don't give away brands that will carry your service unless there's a contractual reason and I don't see any contractual reason why Potter would be obligated to go to Peacock.

@Cup_Of_Coffee

Its funny this article came out...it appears Comcast can put them on Peacock

In 2016, NBCUniversal wrapped up an exclusive deal for all Warner BrosJ. K. Rowling’s Wizarding World movies including the Fantastic Beasts spinoffs. That contract began in July 2018 and goes through April 2025, giving all Comcast TV networks all on-air and digital rights. Universal theme parks is also the home for Harry Potter experiences.

@Cup_Of_Coffee

Its funny this article came out...it appears Comcast can put them on Peacock

In 2016, NBCUniversal wrapped up an exclusive deal for all Warner BrosJ. K. Rowling’s Wizarding World movies including the Fantastic Beasts spinoffs. That contract began in July 2018 and goes through April 2025, giving all Comcast TV networks all on-air and digital rights. Universal theme parks is also the home for Harry Potter experiences.

Luckily for HBOMax, their catalog and content is so great that not having Potter is no big thing. Still, I bet they’re kicking themselves that a competing streaming service has Potter now.

Luckily for HBOMax, their catalog and content is so great that not having Potter is no big thing. Still, I bet they’re kicking themselves that a competing streaming service has Potter now.
HBO Max (which has a killer lineup right now) is an AT&T idea, not a Time Warner idea. Time Warner would never be dumb enough to pollute the HBO brand with HBO Max.
Time Warner sold the Potter rights before AT&T bought the company.

HBO Max (which has a killer lineup right now) is an AT&T idea, not a Time Warner idea. Time Warner would never be dumb enough to pollute the HBO brand with HBO Max.
Time Warner sold the Potter rights before AT&T bought the company.
I think they’re using the HBO brand in a very stealthy way. HBO has an extremely positive reputation so why not use it for your new streaming service? I mean Netflix is basically just a streaming service that has replicated HBO’s formula when you boil it all down.

Comcast should be able to reach between 10 million and 30 million paid subs and 50 million-90 million monthly active users in the next five years," says one analyst.

CNBC is still confirming a free version of Peacock will al pay tv subscribers getting it for free because its a money winner.

NBC’s Peacock is perhaps the best example of traditional media’s purgatory between innovative disruption and supplemental add-on. According to people familiar with the matter, NBC will announce an advertising-supported version of Peacock that’s free to consumers but light on content, pairing it with a limited ad version for about $5 per month and an ad-free version that has Peacock’s full offerings for about $10 per month. Comcast customers and, eventually, other pay-TV subscribers will get access to all of Peacock with limited ads for free. In essence, NBCUniversal, which is owned by Comcast, is giving away Peacock as a bonus to those who subscribe to traditional television.

Why is NBCUniversal doing this? First, Comcast is a traditional cable company that, all else equal, would like you to continue to buy cable TV. Second, NBCUniversal makes about $6 per month per subscriber for its basic cable networks, which include CNBC, MSNBC, USA, Bravo, E!, Golf Channel and others, according to research firm S&P Global. NBCUniversal makes even more on regional sports networks, of which they own nine, that can cost several dollars per month per subscriber.

That means new NBCUniversal CEO Jeff Shell stands to lose $7 to $9 per month for a given household that cuts the cord on cable. Simply swapping cable TV for Peacock, a product that’s either free, $5 or $10, is probably going to be a money-losing proposition. Burke said last year he was targeting getting about $5 per month for every Peacock subscriber in advertising revenue. That’s a great new revenue stream. It’s not a great replacement revenue stream.

Though the NBC head refused to go into specifics about Peacock’s programming, he highlighted how integral the streaming platform will be to NBC moving forward. “It’s a strong brand, a sub-brand, an extension of our brand as we’re going into the future,” Telegdy explained. “Those conversations don’t just involve programming. There are people who talk about branding, talk about marketing, have big ideas about how to bring this to life to American consumers.”
Those conversations also extended to series creators, producers, and NBC’s talent. “So, as I’ve announced Jimmy Fallon’s new show for NBC, the NBC family will be making contributions to originals on Peacock. I very much see it as the future of our digital distribution for a lot of what we do here,” Telegdy said. “We’re talking on every level. And our talent will be seen on both NBC and Peacock — the stars from our cable division, the creative kind of ecosystem of talent and shows we love that live between our linear distribution and our digital distribution.”

NBC Head Says Its Stars Will Be on Both NBC and Peacock

Comcast’s NBCUniversal is set to introduce its Peacock streaming service to investors Thursday, according to the company’s corporate event page. The Peacock investor meeting is scheduled for 4 p.m. EST. Comcast is hosting a live webcast of the Peacock investor meeting on its company website.

Last edited:
@Paulio

Looks like more adult animation will make its way to Peacock through Syfy animated originals

I'm gonna wait and see what NBCU's adult animated shows have to offer. They have to be as good and relevant as F is for Family and Bojack Horseman so they need to hit their shows out of the ballpark.

I'm gonna wait and see what NBCU's adult animated shows have to offer. They have to be as good and relevant as F is for Family and Bojack Horseman so they need to hit their shows out of the ballpark.

Peacock is getting an animated version of the hit McElroy Family podcast "The Adventure Zone" and I'm so so so here for that.

The Park, written and exec produced by Mike O’Brien and Shelly Gossman, centers on a Midwest couple who move to Hollywood to pursue their dream of making it in the character world at a theme park. Along the way, they find the world extremely competitive but soon realize their co-workers (and competition) become their biggest supporters and family.

Based on the information I see for Peacock, I don't think Comcast/NBCU would be doing anything to promote its theme parks as well as the history behind them.
Universal Creative doesn’t have the same great story. Disney Imagineering has a great origin story about Walt Disney and his renegade animators.
Universal Creative was founded as a division of a multinational company looking to expand into new markets.
I think it would be really hard to tell the Universal Parks story because of that.

The Park, written and exec produced by Mike O’Brien and Shelly Gossman, centers on a Midwest couple who move to Hollywood to pursue their dream of making it in the character world at a theme park. Along the way, they find the world extremely competitive but soon realize their co-workers (and competition) become their biggest supporters and family.

No, I meant like documentaries and the like.

Universal Creative doesn’t have the same great story. Disney Imagineering has a great origin story about Walt Disney and his renegade animators.
Universal Creative was founded as a division of a multinational company looking to expand into new markets.
I think it would be really hard to tell the Universal Parks story because of that.

Yeah, I knew it. Universal, like most studios, didn't/doesn't have a Walt Disney on its own. However, it should use the Peacock service in anyway to promote its theme parks. Give consumers the reason want to go to that specific Universal park, and it's the least something Peacock could have used.

More details at peacock ads have come out. Each ad will last one minute and won't be traditional ads for the original shows and select others. They will fit within the shows universe.

0-4.jpg

Last edited: