Photo Editing Software | Page 2 | Inside Universal Forums

Photo Editing Software

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
So Adobe is releasing a new Photoshop and heard the only way to get it is to pay to sign up for the monthly subscription or they year payment plan. A lot of people I know aren't too happy about this change of policy since you aren't wont be able to flat out buy the program and if you stop your payments the program wont be accessible.

Right now it doesnt include Lightroom lets keep out fingers crossed it never will. I did hear something about a new LR features that would only be available to those who paid the subscription fee. I'm not recalling all the details on that one though

I'm really on the fence about upgrading or sticking with 3. I've gotten so used to the levels adjustment system in 5 that I don't know if I want to go back. Not sure if I have the extra coin to drop on this right now, though.

UOR's new official photo editing software:

recycle-bin.png

OK, this noob needs help! I just got a new laptop after I got sick of my old HP laptop, which has gone to sh*t in every aspect possible. My new laptop is an awesome ASUS machine, that apart from the retarded Windows 8, I'm loving everything about. Most importantly, it's got the specs that will allow me to finally delve into serious photo and video editing.

Coincidentally, this morning I got an e-mail from Adorama, who are giving me a special offer for having purchased lenses from them in the past. The offer is Lightroom 5 for $99.

I've also been eyeing the Adobe Photoshop & Premiere Elements 11 for a while, and it's around that same price on Amazon.

So, here lies my dilemma... What should I get? Are Lightroom and Photoshop Elements similar or quite different? Should I maybe get both or is one better/more useful than the other?

I know Premiere Elements 11 is video editing, which would be cool to have, but if Lightroom is "better" than Photoshop Elements, I don't mind not having Premier.

I appreciate any input or advice! :thumbs:

OK, this noob needs help! I just got a new laptop after I got sick of my old HP laptop, which has gone to sh*t in every aspect possible. My new laptop is an awesome ASUS machine, that apart from the retarded Windows 8, I'm loving everything about. Most importantly, it's got the specs that will allow me to finally delve into serious photo and video editing.

Coincidentally, this morning I got an e-mail from Adorama, who are giving me a special offer for having purchased lenses from them in the past. The offer is Lightroom 5 for $99.

I've also been eyeing the Adobe Photoshop & Premiere Elements 11 for a while, and it's around that same price on Amazon.

So, here lies my dilemma... What should I get? Are Lightroom and Photoshop Elements similar or quite different? Should I maybe get both or is one better/more useful than the other?

I know Premiere Elements 11 is video editing, which would be cool to have, but if Lightroom is "better" than Photoshop Elements, I don't mind not having Premier.

I appreciate any input or advice! :thumbs:

If you are doing photo editing, Lightroom hands down. Photoshop is more for computer graphic designs.

Felipe, download the trial versions and take them for a spin to get a feel for them and see which you prefer. I really have no experience with Elements so cant comment on which one would be better as far as that and Lightroom. I do love LR and the way its laid out and how well its organization is with all my photos. I think Elements might be a water downed version of Photoshop CS6 and does have a lot of the same features. I use Lightroom and Photoshop CS6 along with Nik Color Efex for my pictures.

Alos not sure about Elements but def look into this. Adobe is switching things over with a lot of their programs and the big requirement now is a monthly licences fee, which means no longer can we buy the software but instead must rent it and if you stop paying you dont get to use the program. This has a lot of photographers up in arms who use Photoshop, LR hasn't been put on that but not sure about Elements. Something to look into also since if it does require the monthly plan you would be paying a lot more over time.

Last edited:
Felipe, download the trial versions and take them for a spin to get a feel for them and see which you prefer. I really have no experience with Elements so cant comment on which one would be better as far as that and Lightroom. I do love LR and the way its laid out and how well its organization is with all my photos. I think Elements might be a water downed version of Photoshop CS6 and does have a lot of the same features. I use Lightroom and Photoshop CS6 along with Nik Color Efex for my pictures.

Alos not sure about Elements but def look into this. Adobe is switching things over with a lot of their programs and the big requirement now is a monthly licences fee, which means no longer can we buy the software but instead must rent it and if you stop paying you dont get to use the program. This has a lot of photographers up in arms who use Photoshop, LR hasn't been put on that but not sure about Elements. Something to look into also since if it does require the monthly plan you would be paying a lot more over time.

That is insane....

Thanks guys! :thumbs:

I think I'm gonna take that offer and get Lightroom :cheers:

(For video editing I actually have a Pinnacle software that I got a long time ago and never used it, so I just have to make sure it's compatible with Windows 8, and if it isn't I can always use it on the desktop at home.)

I have Elements on my old computer and it absolutely sucks compared to the real deal! I can make basic things on Elements but MUCH prefer CS6. The monthly thing is stupid, I want to get CS6 by christmas time...I can get the student discount so hopefully I can get it before its pulled off the shelves. I've been using trials up to now, just haven't had the money for Photoshop.

I have Elements on my old computer and it absolutely sucks compared to the real deal! I can make basic things on Elements but MUCH prefer CS6. The monthly thing is stupid, I want to get CS6 by christmas time...I can get the student discount so hopefully I can get it before its pulled off the shelves. I've been using trials up to now, just haven't had the money for Photoshop.

CS6 is out of the question, unfortunately. I'm in quite a bit of debt as is, especially after buying the new laptop, so I gotta be moderate in my spending :p Plus, if I'm gonna spend that kind of money, I'd rather get a new lens. I've wanted that fish eye for so long...

Unless you're looking to spend hours on processing, Lightroom is your best bet.

Awesome! :cheers: