Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Pirates of the Caribbean Refurb

Really? This was really necessary? At this rate, I'm expecting we will see Splash Mountain being closed down for a retheme since its based on a story that is not allowed to be seen. Just rework and rewrite everything so that any sense of history that someone might have issue with (giving up our ability to learn from and discuss it) is lost.
They already did that.... Uncle Remus became a frog

It's pretty crazy how differently the public and us are taking the auction scene changes.

Personally, I don't really care either way. But, I can see why Disney wants to change the ride. This is no longer a ride based on a historical time period. It's a ride based off a movie. From their perspective, I can imagine they want a very family friendly ride to mimic the very family friendly movies.

Those movies aren't very family friendly either at times. Also, they're awful but I digress lol.

From Blog Mickey,

giphy.gif

Videos of the new scene are popping up now... and I think it's pretty much a total misfire. All of the classic dialogue is gone ("We wants the redhead" is now "We wants the rum"), Paul Frees' voice is totally gone, and the scene itself has had all its personality stripped away. It's fairly bland filler now.

Had this been the scene from day one, nobody would have ever been talking about it as one of the best in the ride.

The way they try to force in changed versions of classic lines is almost painful. “Strike your feathers?” “Show ‘em your flock?!” Get outta here.

I have just realized how this scene should have played out...

The Auctioneer asks the crowd to makes offers for the hens, Redd (that's apparently her name, now) replies that they’d rather have the rum. Then the guys go, “No, we wants the redhead! We wants the redhead!”

Redd then fires a warning shot at them. Wait a beat. “We wants the rum! We wants the rum!”

It’s still lame, but at least then you get to keep one of the great lines, and you give the scene a structure that ends with a punchline and a payoff.

The way they try to force in changed versions of classic lines is almost painful. “Strike your feathers?” “Show ‘em your flock?!” Get outta here.

I have just realized how this scene should have played out...

The Auctioneer asks the crowd to makes offers for the hens, Redd (that's apparently her name, now) replies that they’d rather have the rum. Then the guys go, “No, we wants the redhead! We wants the redhead!”

Redd then fires a warning shot at them. Wait a beat. “We wants the rum! We wants the rum!”

It’s still lame, but at least then you get to keep one of the great lines, and you give the scene a structure that ends with a punchline and a payoff.
I actually really like this idea. It would’ve been a good laugh and a fitting tribute to the scene as it once was. Plus you have a strong female figure showing the men that she won’t take their crap. Seems like a win-win. Oh, what could’ve been

I like the design of the new Redhead model, but dear god is that audio bad. I hope they go in and fix that up for the California version, because it doesn't make sense, let alone is not good at all..

Videos of the new scene are popping up now... and I think it's pretty much a total misfire. All of the classic dialogue is gone ("We wants the redhead" is now "We wants the rum"), Paul Frees' voice is totally gone, and the scene itself has had all its personality stripped away. It's fairly bland filler now.

Had this been the scene from day one, nobody would have ever been talking about it as one of the best in the ride.
Could be worse... look at Paris' version... They basically swapped clothes and dialogue, the redhead remains stationary.

I just got off the ride and yeah... what was once an iconic scene is now just sort of filler. Lacks anything memorable.

Just all around disappointing.

And as a little something, it seems like they are reusing an old figure from Great Movie Ride, instead of using a figure similar to the likes of what is seen in Disneyland Paris's version that got updated last year.