Pixar’s “Onward” | Page 2 | Inside Universal Forums

Pixar’s “Onward”

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Just watched the movie on Disney+. A fairly weak effort by Pixar standards, imo. The first half drags, but does manage to pick up in the second half.

It does have the typical deeper meanings and emotional moments you would expect from a Pixar outing, but this movie is unfortunately far closer to The Good Dinosaur than to a top-tier Pixar movie.

Pixar set an impossibly high standard for itself during the aughts.Too high for its own good, I'm afraid.

Reactions: belloq87
Pixar set an impossibly high standard for itself during the aughts.Too high for its own good, I'm afraid.
This movie always seemed off to me from the first trailer, though. This was a bit too Dreamworks for me in some ways and coming off of what was not only a heartfelt and emotional movie, but also possibly the funniest Pixar movie in Toy Story 4.

Soul looks a lot more like what I love and expect from Pixar.

It’s a much better movie than people are giving it credit for. And gelatinous cubes.
It’s not bad. But I watched it with three others and all of us came away generally feeling kinda “meh” about it. I definitely enjoyed Frozen 2 better when I caught it a few weeks ago.

I just didn’t develop any sort of true connection with the characters until maybe the very end. Other wise the characters were fairly forgettable.

I thought it was ok. I found the characters annoying but got better as it went on.

The problem with Pixar is that they've set such a high standard that even a good movie can seem worse than it is.

Reactions: OhHaiInternet95
I thought it was ok. I found the characters annoying but got better as it went on.

The problem with Pixar is that they've set such a high standard that even a good movie can seem worse than it is.

Exactly. Because it’s inevitably going to be compared to Incredibles, WALL-E, etc.

Liked it a lot more than I thought I would. That might be a generational thing. Felt very much like Pixar's take on a John Hughes teen film, almost an 80s period piece -- to a point a couple of 2010s Millennial tropes they slipped in for laughs felt anachronistically out-of-place.

The world here makes even less sense than in Cars, so if you could never get over "who built everything in Radiator Springs???", going to have a hard time with this movie. That said, the conceit allows them to pack the screen with nerdy in-jokes and Easter eggs. I almost want to go thru frame-by-frame to see them all. I'll neither confirm nor deny I wasted probably 100s of hours in my teens playing D&D rather than getting laid, but if you did -- yeah buddy, there's a ton to unpack here.

The climax is inspired visually. I liked the voice work on all the characters. And honestly appreciated that it's not another Pixar movie about the mixed emotions of becoming a new parent. Not Tier 1 Pixar, but definitely worth a watch. I think if it had had time to grow an audience over Spring Break and beyond, it would've proven a modest hit.

I saw it in theatres and went in with fairly low expectations and enjoyed it much more than I thought I would. Maybe not top tier Pixar, but not everything can be. Definitely felt a little dreamworks-y but that’s not a bad thing. HTTYD is one of my favorite trilogies. I thought the premise would get old and schtick-y real fast, but I was pleasantly surprised on that front. The jokes landed for me and there were some narrative twists I genuinely didn’t see coming. The climax/ending felt inspired and unique in a way I wasn’t expecting from an animated buddy comedy. It’s not for everyone, but definitely worth watching to form your own opinion, at least.

I saw it back in theaters but would be interested in rewatching it sometime. I think the movie drags until they reach Octavia Spencer's character; from there, it's fun, and I love the ending. Everyone who says this feels like a Dreamworks movie is spot on, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. It's definitely one of Pixar's weakest but I'd probably take it over half of their films from the 10s.

Reactions: belloq87 and Nick
I saw it back in theaters but would be interested in rewatching it sometime. I think the movie drags until they reach Octavia Spencer's character; from there, it's fun, and I love the ending. Everyone who says this feels like a Dreamworks movie is spot on, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. It's definitely one of Pixar's weakest but I'd probably take it over half of their films from the 10s.
Agreed on almost all accounts.

Reactions: ThemeParks4Life
I actually really liked this. All the Dreamworks comparisons are weird since I went in with the expectation that this was going to be Boss Baby level bad or something. I really appreciated the fact that it didn't play it cliche with its ending. That said it's no where near the top of the food chain of what Pixar has done. Some clever moments and it got really fun in the second half. Solid 3 out of 5

Last edited:
I caught it in theaters and figured out the ending beforehand, but it was a fun Pixar movie.

Calling it a Dreamworks movie doesn't do justice to it as it has much more heart and density to the jokes with a very clean outer shell of a world. Just because it isn't the best Pixar movie doesn't mean it's bad.