1. Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Make sure to sign up and join the community! It's fast, free, and easy! DO IT!

Please Enable Two Factor Authentication!

Discussion in 'Comments & Questions' started by GadgetGuru, Jun 4, 2017.

1. fryoj

fryoj Veteran Member

So do they have a way to use their service on both an iphone and a mac. I use both to access most of my accounts and when I change a password, sometimes it's hell trying to remember what I changed it to on the other device. And how does it insert the user/pass into apps?

2. Joel

Joel Premium Member

Not sure what you mean by a vault, but you have one ultra long password (think 10-20 word sentence) you enter every time you restart your computer (or when it times out if you prefer the extra security), and that opens the application where you store all your information. For the iPhone, you just need your fingerprint. It does have optional browser plugins to receive and inject password information, but they're completely optional to download/use. I use the plugins on all 3 browsers and have had no issues; I use the same concept of data important dictates password strength i.e. coinbase > banks > amazon > social media > etc.)

Example of what by 1pass looks like (I also love the different type of data that you can save and easily access, like my personal idendtity information):
    1pass.jpg

Yes you can export stuff but I'm not sure what you would do with that export.

ss 2017-06-15 at 11.47.59 AM.jpg

tldr: couldn't recommend 1pass enough

MrRoamer likes this.
  3. Joel

Joel Premium Member

Yes, you download 1Pass on both devices, and backup your information (encrypted) to a service such as dropbox so everything is automatically synced between devices.

You insert the user/pass info by either clicking the + button seen in the screenshot above (bottom middle of image), or if you have the browser plugins, if you insert user/pass information into a website, it will automatically ask you if you want to save to 1Password.

4. MrRoamer

MrRoamer Premium Member

I like having the option of going in and manipulating stuff all at once. Also I store url's and everything in there too, that's why the vault is important to me (which you showed in the screen shot). Exporting is mainly just a bygone habit of mine from keepass that I like to have the option of. I may have to look more seriously into changing to it.

One thing I really can't stand is those little circle icons for minimize, maximize, and close buttons on the apps.
    For the life of me, I'll never understand why people prefer using that theme for Windows :bolt:

Joel likes this.
  5. Joe

Joe aka TestTrack321 Staff Member Moderator

As @ConvolutedFrippery said yes. I personally use 1PW on my Mac (w Safari extension) and iOS. In iOS there is a safari extension and a browser built into the app.

Joel likes this.
  6. GadgetGuru

GadgetGuru Veteran Member

Thanks a lot! I appreciate all the kudos

1Password + Lastpass definitely have import/export functions. I've used them to successfully export from Lastpass into 1Password. Lastpass exports into a CSV, while 1Password exports into a OPVault file, I think (it's sort of a standard).

All of the big password managers have browser extensions for the major browsers (or at least Chrome...) and they all have mobile / desktop apps. Of the two I've used, Lastpass pushes their browser extensions hard, while 1Password goes more for native apps.

Whatever manager you choose, be sure it has some form of 2FA! I know that Lastpass supports 2FA and 1Password uses the concept of a secret key (which, after some thought, I'm willing to call a 2FA, albeit a nontraditional one)

MrRoamer likes this.
  7. Joel

Joel Premium Member

Me n @Joe are Mac people.. no windows here

GadgetGuru likes this.
  8. MrRoamer

MrRoamer Premium Member

Sorry that was supposed to be a tongue in cheek joke. :frown:

GadgetGuru likes this.
  9. Joel

Joel Premium Member

ah, my bad.. hard to tell via interwebs