Restaurants | Page 2 | Inside Universal Forums

Restaurants

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I think it's unacceptable if they tear out Mel's....if anything, I wish they'd expand it.

Unless the new Universal Plaza eatery is well themed/unique, it won't be able to beat the '50s nostalgia theme of Mel's.

I thought with this opening of the Rex BBQ we would see the closing of flintstones of at least thats what i hoped. Flintstones area needs to be changed.
I'd think that too..

Kinda off topic, Bob Dylan maybe you'd know. With us apparently getting a carnival section for Despicable Me (super silly fun land) with new games, any plans to get rid of the Flintstones games/area?

I hope so. It's so tacky. Well themed for carnival games, but tacky. It'll definitely fit better in the Minion Mayhem area.

Hey, at least we aren't getting a Jurassic Park themed midway games area like in Florida.... *rolls eyes*. Talk about out of theme and random. John Hammond obviously ran out of legit ideas in Florida and stopped going by his previous motto: spared no expense.

Anyway, if the Flintstones area leaves, it would DEFINITELY open up the Universal Plaza as a central open area even more.

On a side note, I wish the Flintstones movie didn't flop. I actually think the theme itself could've made a great ride! Heck, could've made a great whole land at Islands of Adventure!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: William
I feel like it would've made a great Cars Land type of land. Have all the Bedrock houses and restaurants, have walk around characters and prehistoric walk around creatures kind of like the USJ/USS dinos, have a Rock Vegas for the adults, a dark ride, car ride, spinners, bowling alley, etc.

Ok ill stop :p

Reactions: William
I think the likeliness of us getting Super Silly Fun Land carnival games and the T-Rex BBQ are blunt hints at the removal of the entire Flintstones Carnival Games area. It's been in our park for a while, and I'm almost surprised it hasn't been scrapped yet. We could use a little bit (or a lot) of updating in that area.

More signage went up today. It's crazy how fast this was all put together.

Keep in mind: there may or may not be soft openings this weekend. Nothing is confirmed.
Are there any pictures we can look at?? I'm getting super curious! :eek:  I hope to visit the park on Sunday so whether or not someone has some shots by then, I'll get a few as well.

Well, first off the area is themed after a 14-year-old prequel that bombed badly at the box office. The only reason it's still there is due to the fact that:

1) Carnival games are popular

2) The Flintstones brand in general is popular

So if the rumors are true and DM will get carnival games, I would not surprised at all to see the Flintstones games close sometime in 2014. That said, I have not heard anything in regards to them.
What Movie Was It Themed After?

Kinda sad this Patio area above JP was kinda quite and gives a real nice picture from above. I would sit here and watch people pass by. Do you think people will want to climb stairs to get food? will this be temp for the season or might stay because another Restaurant will close?

seating for the all you can eat T-Rex is 12:00-3:00 it closes at 4:00. It's a little pricey but I'll give it a shot.

How many people

There's an elevator right next to JP cafe, so they don't necessarily have to climb the stairs. It's an ADA requirement, so I'm sure they'll have a side entrance over that way too.
Yea but how many people will know that their is an elevator on the opposite side of the restaurant(besides someone who will need to use compared to someone who's just lazy)? Not many i forget my self when going up their. Hope they can attract people to go up. Thats not to say this place can't get quite packed during busy season and that's without a Restaurant up there. I dout this will be permanent but will have to wait and see.

They have staff downstairs directing everyone how to get to the seating area including the elevators. The waiting area is to the right of the staircase. I just talked with the manager and she said this is a test run till June 8th if everything goes well, it will become permanent.

AWESOME! Do AP members get discounts for this? How does the all you can eat restaurant work?

The restaurant opening today was a gigantic success, satisfying those consumers who are willing to spend a little more in exchange for a more intimate, sit-down dining experience that couldn't be found at USH before.The line, especially after JP went down for a while, was long and healthy. The word of mouth from both team members and guests is that the food is absolutely delicious, some of the best to be found in the entire park. And most hours they feature steel drumming entertainment. Like jmills said, the restaurant will be open daily from 12 to 4 (seating ends at 3) until June 8th. At that point they may or may not close it down for a couple weeks to install more permanent fixtures, as well as give it a fine polish... but looking at things I don't see it going away. When it reopens, I believe there may be an attempt to elongate hours to possibly include dinner, but I doubt it.

Pricing is $22 for adults, $10 for kids under 48". By contrast, Disney's Big Thunder Ranch BBQ is $30 for adults. There's an upcharge of $3 for adults/$2 for kids for soda beverages. (again, unlimited) The upcharge is lessened to $1 if you have a souvenir sipper.

The patio only seats slightly over 100 people, so expect lines to be very, very long this summer if it becomes permanent. Some may be a little adverse to that, as it would mean that public use of the splashdown bridge would go away fast.
Sounds pretty good but a bit pricey since well it's a theme park and you are there to get on the rides not to sit in a buffet and eat, but it seems somethign worth trying,