Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Revenge of the Mummy (USH)

Get the vehicle number(s) next time and tell the ride operators.. That's the only way it will get looked into/fixed. By the time the ride vehicle gets back to the load platform there is no audio playing so the ride ops have no clue. There is no way to monitor the audio on any vehicle.  Was there no audio for the entire ride or just a certain scene?

Get the vehicle number(s) next time and tell the ride operators.. That's the only way it will get looked into/fixed. By the time the ride vehicle gets back to the load platform there is no audio playing so the ride ops have no clue. There is no way to monitor the audio on any vehicle.  Was there no audio for the entire ride or just a certain scene?

Pretty sure the audio cut off when it happened. 

Yeah, I make it a point to let team members know when something isn't working, just as a courtesy to them.  One time we told a TM about the sound cutting out on Mummy, and they gave us a free front of the line pass!  Once at Disneyland, when Ghost Galaxy was still fairly new, we told them the sound cut off on that, and they allowed us to re-ride on another rocket.

Obviously don't count on it, there have been plenty of times where they don't do anything other than say "Thanks".  But yes, often, they really don't know if audio cuts out or not unless someone reports it to them.  It's just nice to be helpful.

If there is no audio all together, that means the system hasn't been fully charged. If audio doesn't play in a certain scene, the ride vehicle might not be aligned with the trigger plate placed on the track. Sometimes especially in Scene 4, the audio will not trigger. Just depends on the movement/vibration/weight of the vehicle. There are 9 triggers plates placed in various areas on the track. The ride vehicle has sensors on the back of each vehicle. There is reflective tape on each of these triggers plates in binary code. This is what tells the Gilderfluke SD-50 to play the various tracks. There are two SD-50 units so they can cross mix and you shouldn't notice a change in audio (when all is working properly). The Allen Bradley control system is very intelligent. The system is programmed for continuous audio, every track is timed out perfectly (again, when everything else is working correctly). It will never play the same track twice.

Once the ride vehicle is parked at the load platform there is a DC charging system. It sends power to the ride vehicle to charge the capacitor bank (to a maximum of 28v) which is located on the back left of each vehicle. The right box is the audio control and amplification system.

Any questions class? :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I always tell them, they never seem to care. 

And the music didn't work in the coaster portion to be clear. Also the Mummy Returns main theme didn't kick in when the doors opened up at the ned ether. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I always tell them, they never seem to care. 

And the music didn't work in the coaster portion to be clear. Also the Mummy Returns main theme didn't kick in when the doors opened up at the ned ether. 

Well there is a trigger plate right before you see Imhotep before the launch which plays the "high speed" music up until u get to the Dead End. There is another trigger plate for the music from the Dead End (going backwards) to the entrance of the final scene. While on the turntable, if the music didn't trigger you wouldn't of heard the end Mummy theme as that is on the same track as the turntable music and effects. 

The ride is getting old and the vehicles take a lot of abuse. Again, if the sensors on the back of the ride vehicle do not align with the reflective tape on the trigger plates the music will not trigger. It's that simple. Every time the ride vehicle stops at the load platform the audio system is being charged to maintain the voltage. The system will work anywhere from 28v to 22v +/-. If you hear one piece of music while on the ride there is power going to the audio system. It's just that the plates and/or reflective tape isn't being sensed by the sensors and it will not play that track.

Here's some progress on the RotM locker station and photo shop. The counter has been repositioned so that it'll be on your right as soon as you get to the bottom of the staircase at the exit of the ride. Hopefully this new arrangement won't cause a ton of congestion.

31926056213_62a69afd12.jpg

This may be an unpopular opinion, but I just got off this for the first time, and I think it's actually superior to the Orlando version.

Maybe it's because it's a tighter space, but it truly feels like a more intimate, scary experience. The lead up to the coaster section is actually scary (compared to the hokey Orlando section), the effects are better, and I feel like it drops you into the experience in a way that Orlando's doesn't.

It was also just in better overall shape than its counterpart, and I felt like the onride photo was in a better place.

They each have their pros and cons. I keep expecting one of the new Universal parks to combine elements of both and create the perfect Mummy ride but they haven't so far.

This one seems to be maintained better than the Orlando counterpart from my experiences, but that may be because I don't know the ride well enough to recognize broken effects.

It is maintained a lot better. But that is also due to the fact that there's a lot less in the USH attraction. The ride vehicles, LIMs, brakes, 5 animated effects, two track switches, and the rest is lighting/audio/video. Very basic and huge money savings from when it was the ET Adventure.

This may be an unpopular opinion, but I just got off this for the first time, and I think it's actually superior to the Orlando version.

Maybe it's because it's a tighter space, but it truly feels like a more intimate, scary experience. The lead up to the coaster section is actually scary (compared to the hokey Orlando section), the effects are better, and I feel like it drops you into the experience in a way that Orlando's doesn't.

It was also just in better overall shape than its counterpart, and I felt like the onride photo was in a better place.
I'm actually fall to the floor surprised when I hear some Floridians say this. When I watched Tim Tracker's blog of when he came out to my hood to ride it, I was surprised to hear that. I've always thought the Florida version is FAR better. Better treasure scene, better opening, better coaster, fire effects; a majority of stuff there seems better, even though the set-up and story are lame. Maybe it's because I've always been on it when all of the effects are working, but I just enjoy Florida's so much more.

Maybe part of the preferences may be due to local fatigue? With the exception of the treasure room (Florida's scene is just AWESOME), I do think Hollywood's dark ride scenes are better though as well as the launch sequence. I really like Orlando's coaster portion more.

I'm actually fall to the floor surprised when I hear some Floridians say this. When I watched Tim Tracker's blog of when he came out to my hood to ride it, I was surprised to hear that. I've always thought the Florida version is FAR better. Better treasure scene, better opening, better coaster, fire effects; a majority of stuff there seems better, even though the set-up and story are lame. Maybe it's because I've always been on it when all of the effects are working, but I just enjoy Florida's so much more.

Maybe part of the preferences may be due to local fatigue? With the exception of the treasure room (Florida's scene is just AWESOME), I do think Hollywood's dark ride scenes are better though as well as the launch sequence. I really like Orlando's coaster portion more.
I think that may be part of it. I just felt that Hollywood was so much more effective at the beginning in terms of creepiness. With the dropping hands, and the tight spaces, it just felt like a horror film. The crappy looking animatronics of the assistant and Imhotep at the beginning really kill the vibe in FL, and the backwards section into turntable/launch felt clunky.

Another thing I felt is that Hollywood really set up the launch better. You whip around the treasure room corner, and then you see this (very nice) animatronic high above you, and then the two mummy soldiers DROP FROM THE SKY (the onride photo shows how surprised I was), strobes go off, and you launch into total darkness. It feels a bit more natural than Florida's clear "zones", if that makes sense.

The ending feels a bit abrupt, but I've always loathed the post fakeout ending in Florida for totally losing the (literal) momentum. Also, Florida's consistently looks and feels like Fl's Space Mountain, which is to say that it's falling apart. I'l take Hollywood's top notch visual experience with a slightly shorter, more mellow coaster over a superior track with awful effects.

If Florida were at the top of its game, I might reconsider, but even then I think it'd be close for me. With Florida being in awful condition, Cali's easily wins for me.