1. Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Make sure to sign up and join the community! It's fast, free, and easy! DO IT!

Reviews & Media - Hagrid's Magical Creature Motorbike Adventure

Discussion in 'Islands of Adventure' started by Joe, Jun 10, 2019.

1. Mad Dog

Mad Dog Premium Member

Such a thoughtful, beautiful, wonderful review. Thank you!!! :thumbsup::toast:

Disneyhead, Quint and violarum like this.
  2. rhino4evr

rhino4evr Veteran Member

You sure the ride is an “A” ? that’s a lot of negative thoughts about the quality of the overall theming.

That’s too bad you got into a shouting match about leaving the ride early. I would have just listened to the cast member and left if they asked me too.

3. Magic Feather

Magic Feather Newcomer

To me it is a 93/100, I just skimmed over the very good, as I believe we are all very familiar with that.
    Also, I, thankfully, did not get into a yelling match. In fact, I tried to break one up. That was just an “everybody around me” type thing.

snayberry, rhino4evr and Mad Dog like this.
  4. rhino4evr

rhino4evr Veteran Member

One comment id like to see in reviews is wether you feel this is a proper replacement for Dueling Dragons. I would imagine it will be for most people, but I’m curious if there are any hold outs

5. Frankyg123

Frankyg123 Rookie

Havnt ride yet but from everything I’ve seen I feel it’s a more than worthy replacement for dragon challenge after it stopped dueling. Now I loved dueling dragons the queue was fantastic and the roller coaster was revolutionary. But after the switch to DC it lost a lot of what made it special and the end of dueling made it a regular coaster.

6. Evan

Evan Member

Thank you for the fair and even review. I’m glad I’m not alone in the pole/mural
    moment being a bit of a detractor. I hope it can be plussed in the future.

violarum likes this.
  7. Jones14

Jones14 Rookie

Absolutely worth it. Dragons was a fun coaster, but by the end it was little more than that.

Hagrid is a step up in nearly every way, and it is a better representation of what Universal is capable of in 2019 and beyond than Dragons ever could be.

Alicia likes this.
  8. OhHaiInternet95

OhHaiInternet95 Veteran Member

Yup. Dueling Dragons was collectively one of the best attractions in Florida. But neither on their own--without the awesome queue or the dueling--were anywhere near as good as Montu. I wish they could rebuild them at FW but I know that ain't happening.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2019
  9. Andy

Andy aka Hatetofly V.I.P.

I’ll post an in depth review sometime soon but in the meantime wow this is one heck of an incredible experience. It’s not the most themed, or most immersive or technologically advanced. But it is the most fun ride on property and easily the most re-rideable. They hit an absolute home run with this one y’all. I mean it, it’s incredibly good!!

Joel, jtsalien, JoeCamel and 12 others like this.
  10. UNIrd

UNIrd Premium Member

This ride just did not let up once it gets started. As long as it is, it didn't actually feel that that it was when you're on it because the pacing is that relentless. I'm not gonna lie.. I actually there was going to be more after the unicorn scene because I was like.. I don't think that was 3 minutes. :lol:

The queue.. keep it. I don't need to see it again. Single Riders and Express will be fine, especially since the most impressive room is the one right before load which I'm sure all guests will experience. Loved that ceiling effect.

But this is really about the ride and honestly you'd be hard-pressed to find a better themed coaster that offers this much THRILL stateside. This is another ride in the upper echelons for Universal and a total knockout. Everyone will love this ride from a pure fun standpoint.

Is it the greatest attraction ever? If you ask me, no way. Does it hit my top 10 of rides ever? If we're talking strictly Orlando, yes. It was full of surprises for me even being glued to these boards. So either I wasn't paying attention or I did a good job of keeping away from spoilers.

As far as it how it ranks amongst the other Harry Potter attractions, I'd probably still give to the edge of Gringotts. That experience just starts at the entrance to the bank, plus the queue, preshow, elevator... all that makes it tops for me. If we're looking strictly ride to ride, that can be debatable.

But this ride is such a strong addition to the resort, especially when the focus on thrills has been pretty absent from both resorts but seems to be changing in the next few years. It deserves all the hype it gets. Come end of August, y'all enjoy "Star Tours with buttons." I'll be on Hagrid's.

Joel, frenchy2475, Cheezbat and 3 others like this.
  11. NYG

NYG Rookie

AWESOME! Waited about 3 hours and was lucky enough that it broke down in the devils snare scene for a minute so they let us re-ride.

Motorbike side is amazing, the speed is incredible, the thrills are top notch....Universal has killed it with this ride and created something that has no true equivalent in Orlando.

Is it my favorite ride?...that’s tough. On first inspection, possibly, but it’s definitely top 5 at least.

The queue is the only part that I thought was good, but not nearly as high-grade as FJ or Gringotts. That said, the musion scene in the pre-show is the most flawless implementation I’ve seen yet. They finally got the colors right where the characters don’t appear brighter than their environment.

This ride will go down as one of the best Universal has ever put out...and as someone who has been on the “no more Potter train”, I kind of want the Ministry of Magic now :)

Cheezbat, rinacee, Alicia and 2 others like this.
  12. Scott W.

Scott W. Premium Member

Not that it counts for anything but in my ever going quest to get my parents to return to Orlando, i showed the POV to my parents. My dad was blown away but my mum simply said: is that it?

Joel likes this.
  13. Joe

Joe aka TestTrack321 Staff Member Moderator

In The Loop posted their Saturday impressions video featuring me, the male pattern bald spot I just found out about, and my massive maw. Yay!

Sithina, Scott W., Mad Dog and 2 others like this.
  14. Mad Dog

Mad Dog Premium Member

Guessing you got a full ride through, with no breakdowns, on your second ride. Did your impressions change from what you said on Friday, after an incomplete ride......

15. OLSinFLA

OLSinFLA Veteran Member

So today rode it, and have to say the videos do not do it justice. The twists and turns were fun, Hagrid looks much better in person, and that last launch really packed a punch. I have to kind of disagree about the musion pre-show though. So much of it was video, it pretty much looked just like a film to me

hr13, Mad Dog and gabe3235 like this.
  16. P@n!K_Sw1tC#

P@n!K_Sw1tC# Veteran Member

Don’t be so hard on yourself you look great considering morning Florida humidity can ruin anybody’s look, even Beyoncé and Dolly Parton

Joel likes this.
  17. Cheezbat

Cheezbat Veteran Member

B&M inverts are one of my top favorite models of coasters...I loved the Dragons...I was not happy about their removal....but my goodness the replacement does not disappoint. Maybe someday Universal will revisit an Invert...

OhHaiInternet95 likes this.
  18. UniversalRBLX

UniversalRBLX Veteran Member

Got lucky both days I decided to go. Saturday and Sunday right at park opening, first hundred people. Ride was amazing. 10/10. Sure there are a few things I would change, just like on any other ride, but it did not distract me from the rest of the experience. Universal definitely has a win.

hr13, Alicia, LieutLaww and 2 others like this.
  19. Joe

Joe aka TestTrack321 Staff Member Moderator

So I'm working on two article on Hagrid and I need some place to spit out some ideas. These thoughts are not fully processed and some might be copied into the articles. I just gotta bounce them off people.

• The coaster dynamics and track layout is unlike anything in Orlando. Most of Disney's coasters and some of Universal's focus on helixes and small hops. Even SeaWorld and Universal's B&Ms can feel same-y. Hagrid kicks that all to the curb from the second Hagrid hits the gas. Immediately you are in a slalom drop to a massive launch. After that the coaster kicks into high gear with tons of lateral forces over the lake; the forces aren't shaky or rough but feel like someone with their foot on the peddle taking some tight curves too quickly.
    • Several parts of the attraction feels like you are actually riding a flying bike piloted by a guy who barely has it under control. While turning the ride vehicle pops up and down, the bike dips and curves out of tight spaces. This is even more heightened when on the bike.
    • This is not a family coaster or kids coaster, this thing doesn't pull any punches. I've seen comparisons to Slinky, I love Slinky, this is several notches above Slinky in intensity and speed.
    • Once you hit the backwards portion the ride seems to lose some steam and pace. The speed as you go into the forbidden forest feels weak and not natural. Due to that slowness some of the issues of the centaur scene are more noticeable. Thankfully that scene just needs two fixes: 1) add some fake leaves hanging from the roof to disguise the tree tops and lighting rigs 2) add a lighting effect to reveal the centaur and make it seem like it's moving. Yeah, it's the damn Disco Yeti thing but they use it because it works.
    • The final launch is intense and packs a punch, especially with how exposed you are on the track. But after you take that launch the ride ends, making it feel a little perfunctory. I would have liked just a few more seconds of track after it to sell it.
    • There are some small touch up items that they need to fix: 1) TV screen in the reshow that was quickly added to show the load procedure 2) lighting on the bridge is semi-hidden by fake plants, a more permanent solution is needed 3) the unicorns and fawn need some major fixes. The unicorn's ears look bad and the fawn's coat looks like a cheap plastic toy, seams and all.
    • If you're a coaster head like me you'll find the ride very similar in many aspects: the tight turns of Maverick, the drop track from Verbolten, etc. For most guests this will be unlike anything else they experienced, for me it's more of a greatest hits experience. This doesn't make it bad, it just doesn't feel as unique as the two other Potter e-tickets.
    • If I had to rate the ride I'd give it five stars out of five, it really is fantastic and unique.

20. Mad Dog

Mad Dog Premium Member

What's your feelings on the Hagrid Barn, Fluffy, Ford scenes and the sensation of the drop track? Seems like lack of coaster uniqueness may be due to your experiencing so many coasters in your travels. Do you think it will feel unique to the typical guest.