Reviews & Media - Hagrid's Magical Creature Motorbike Adventure | Page 8 | Inside Universal Forums

Reviews & Media - Hagrid's Magical Creature Motorbike Adventure

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
So I'm working on two article on Hagrid and I need some place to spit out some ideas. These thoughts are not fully processed and some might be copied into the articles. I just gotta bounce them off people.

• The coaster dynamics and track layout is unlike anything in Orlando. Most of Disney's coasters and some of Universal's focus on helixes and small hops. Even SeaWorld and Universal's B&Ms can feel same-y. Hagrid kicks that all to the curb from the second Hagrid hits the gas. Immediately you are in a slalom drop to a massive launch. After that the coaster kicks into high gear with tons of lateral forces over the lake; the forces aren't shaky or rough but feel like someone with their foot on the peddle taking some tight curves too quickly.
  • Several parts of the attraction feels like you are actually riding a flying bike piloted by a guy who barely has it under control. While turning the ride vehicle pops up and down, the bike dips and curves out of tight spaces. This is even more heightened when on the bike.
  • This is not a family coaster or kids coaster, this thing doesn't pull any punches. I've seen comparisons to Slinky, I love Slinky, this is several notches above Slinky in intensity and speed.
  • Once you hit the backwards portion the ride seems to lose some steam and pace. The speed as you go into the forbidden forest feels weak and not natural. Due to that slowness some of the issues of the centaur scene are more noticeable. Thankfully that scene just needs two fixes: 1) add some fake leaves hanging from the roof to disguise the tree tops and lighting rigs 2) add a lighting effect to reveal the centaur and make it seem like it's moving. Yeah, it's the damn Disco Yeti thing but they use it because it works.
  • The final launch is intense and packs a punch, especially with how exposed you are on the track. But after you take that launch the ride ends, making it feel a little perfunctory. I would have liked just a few more seconds of track after it to sell it.
  • There are some small touch up items that they need to fix: 1) TV screen in the reshow that was quickly added to show the load procedure 2) lighting on the bridge is semi-hidden by fake plants, a more permanent solution is needed 3) the unicorns and fawn need some major fixes. The unicorn's ears look bad and the fawn's coat looks like a cheap plastic toy, seams and all.
  • If you're a coaster head like me you'll find the ride very similar in many aspects: the tight turns of Maverick, the drop track from Verbolten, etc. For most guests this will be unlike anything else they experienced, for me it's more of a greatest hits experience. This doesn't make it bad, it just doesn't feel as unique as the two other Potter e-tickets.
  • If I had to rate the ride I'd give it five stars out of five, it really is fantastic and unique.

Only part of this post I disagree with. There's a difference between "kiddie coaster" and "family coaster"--Mummy, Everest, I would even throw Cheetah Hunt in that category, and now Hagrid. I greatly enjoy all four, but I would not consider any to be "big thrill coasters."

Other than that, very spot on thoughts. :)

Reactions: Jones14
What's your feelings on the Hagrid Barn, Fluffy, Ford scenes and the sensation of the drop track? Seems like lack of coaster uniqueness may be due to your experiencing so many coasters in your travels. Do you think it will feel unique to the typical guest.

Those scenes are fine. The drop track feels less forceful than Verbolten the same way Tower of Terror feels forceful: Hagrid is a freewill while Verbolten pulls you down.

Only part of this post I disagree with. There's a difference between "kiddie coaster" and "family coaster"--Mummy, Everest, I would even throw Cheetah Hunt in that category, and now Hagrid. I greatly enjoy all four, but I would not consider any to be "big thrill coasters."

Other than that, very spot on thoughts. :)

Hagrid is more intense than Everest or Mummy IMHO.

Those scenes are fine. The drop track feels less forceful than Verbolten the same way Tower of Terror feels forceful: Hagrid is a freewill while Verbolten pulls you down.

Hagrid is more intense than Everest or Mummy IMHO.
Definitely more intense than Mummy. But the backwards section on Everest is pretty powerful, lots of positive Gs, that some folks feel is a bit too thrilling, especially given that it’s in a long, winding, nauseating circle.

So I'm working on two article on Hagrid and I need some place to spit out some ideas. These thoughts are not fully processed and some might be copied into the articles. I just gotta bounce them off people.

• The coaster dynamics and track layout is unlike anything in Orlando. Most of Disney's coasters and some of Universal's focus on helixes and small hops. Even SeaWorld and Universal's B&Ms can feel same-y. Hagrid kicks that all to the curb from the second Hagrid hits the gas. Immediately you are in a slalom drop to a massive launch. After that the coaster kicks into high gear with tons of lateral forces over the lake; the forces aren't shaky or rough but feel like someone with their foot on the peddle taking some tight curves too quickly.
  • Several parts of the attraction feels like you are actually riding a flying bike piloted by a guy who barely has it under control. While turning the ride vehicle pops up and down, the bike dips and curves out of tight spaces. This is even more heightened when on the bike.
  • This is not a family coaster or kids coaster, this thing doesn't pull any punches. I've seen comparisons to Slinky, I love Slinky, this is several notches above Slinky in intensity and speed.
  • Once you hit the backwards portion the ride seems to lose some steam and pace. The speed as you go into the forbidden forest feels weak and not natural. Due to that slowness some of the issues of the centaur scene are more noticeable. Thankfully that scene just needs two fixes: 1) add some fake leaves hanging from the roof to disguise the tree tops and lighting rigs 2) add a lighting effect to reveal the centaur and make it seem like it's moving. Yeah, it's the damn Disco Yeti thing but they use it because it works.
  • The final launch is intense and packs a punch, especially with how exposed you are on the track. But after you take that launch the ride ends, making it feel a little perfunctory. I would have liked just a few more seconds of track after it to sell it.
  • There are some small touch up items that they need to fix: 1) TV screen in the reshow that was quickly added to show the load procedure 2) lighting on the bridge is semi-hidden by fake plants, a more permanent solution is needed 3) the unicorns and fawn need some major fixes. The unicorn's ears look bad and the fawn's coat looks like a cheap plastic toy, seams and all.
  • If you're a coaster head like me you'll find the ride very similar in many aspects: the tight turns of Maverick, the drop track from Verbolten, etc. For most guests this will be unlike anything else they experienced, for me it's more of a greatest hits experience. This doesn't make it bad, it just doesn't feel as unique as the two other Potter e-tickets.
  • If I had to rate the ride I'd give it five stars out of five, it really is fantastic and unique.

Yes to the Unicorn situation and inside of drop track... Skrewt pole needs a fix. I basically think overall they need to fix some of the theming elements.

I'd also add that although the mural isn't bad from the queue or further back, but the backward portions goes right by the mural wall, with no trees to ever hide this... I'd love if they could re-theme and fix this in a few years somewhere....

Reactions: Trumen882
Yes to the Unicorn situation and inside of drop track... Skrewt pole needs a fix. I basically think overall they need to fix some of the theming elements.

I'd also add that although the mural isn't bad from the queue or further back, but the backward portions goes right by the mural wall, with no trees to ever hide this... I'd love if they could re-theme and fix this in a few years somewhere....

The skrewt pole is over blown, but painting it a neutral color similar to the nest and not black will help. I forgot to mention that small 20 ft portion of the mural, I agree there too, but it's not as bad.

The skrewt pole is over blown, but painting it a neutral color similar to the nest and not black will help. I forgot to mention that small 20 ft portion of the mural, I agree there too, but it's not as bad.

Totally, they both aren't the end of the world, but if they want to call it the worlds highest themed, most immersive coaster, it's those little details I think they should tackle and plus in the coming years.

Reactions: hr13
Good review. I read that earlier today. Alicia rates it her #3 attraction, with SpiderMan #1 and FOP #2. Forbidden Journey at #4 and Tower of terror at #5 round out her top 5 attractions. So she has Hagrid's rated as her top Potter ride.
We’ll see if that changes after I ride again tomorrow. But as far as fun rides I’ll never get tired of, yea, definitely ranks above the other Potter rides.

Reactions: RFRees
So. I've had time to think about it and I would have to say that Tom Morrow on Magic best sums up my feelings towards this ride. It's a LOT of fun, clearly a winner for Universal. The launches are surprisingly powerful, the vehicles are very cool, the landscaping is gorgeous, and the drop track got me. But I don't think it's quiiiiiiite a GOAT contender, at least not yet--putting hay or something like that around the skrewt would be a (fairly cheap) help. I do think parts of it felt a little too exposed, so I think there's a good chance of this ride getting better with age as the trees grow.

Overall I prefer OG Dragons, but it's definitely an improvement over post-Potter Dragons. I would definitely recommend checking it out if you haven’t already, and I hope this truly is the start of a "post-screenz" era.

Last edited:
Reactions: belloq87
Just got to ride tonight after being turned down the past 3 days!
Positives:
- First Ride was motorbike side, front row, at night
- Sight lines were not an issue at night
- The whole ride is very well-paced
- Light Package is AMAZING
- FLUFFY (Best animatronic IMO)
- That final launch PACKS A PUNCH
- Drop track & Backwards parts were well-handled
- The ride is SO DANG FUN

Negatives:
- The skrewt on a pole
- On-ride audio was muffled / not loud enough (would have loved to hear more of the score)
- I missed the button pushing? Has anyone figured that out yet?
- The whole "class" scene is very rushed for my liking

Undecided:
- Queue: The preshow is AMAZING and the outdoor queue parts better than Gringotts or FJ, but the interior is rather bare at times [CAVES], and again muffled audio
- Pixies: The two in the Anglia moved (lit at night) but I'm sure there's more.

These are just my initial thoughts, I'm sure with rerides some of this will change!

Just got to ride tonight after being turned down the past 3 days!

- On-ride audio was muffled / not loud enough (would have loved to hear more of the score)
- I missed the button pushing? Has anyone figured that out yet?

1. Really? Must've been turned down since opening, or you had a faulty sound.

2. The final launch, as you exit the Forbidden Forest.

Reactions: Writing Rides
TimTracker

He gave it a really great review, said it's the best ride at Universal,partly due to it's rerideability, and said it was worth the four hour wait...I'm kind of surprised that he evidently didn't get an invite to the media day, so he had to wait in line like everyone else.

Reactions: Coasted
He gave it a really great review, said it's the best ride at Universal,partly due to it's rerideability, and said it was worth the four hour wait...I'm kind of surprised that he evidently didn't get an invite to the media day, so he had to wait in line like everyone else.

He was in San Fran doing a paid thing for a hotel.

Reactions: Joel and Mad Dog
He was in San Fran doing a paid thing for a hotel.
Oh OK, that makes more sense than. But that circumstance and waiting in a long line (like you did for your rides and thoughts on the attraction), actually gives his review more credibility, so I guess it worked out well.

Reactions: Coasted