Rivers of Light General Discussion and Photos | Page 36 | Inside Universal Forums

Rivers of Light General Discussion and Photos

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
So some additional thoughts from better videos. Of course I have NOT seen this in person so if anyone from WDI sees this ignore it until I see it in person a few times. ;)

1.) I think the pacing is off. They shouldn't show the fountains off in the lotus too early. With the animal floats out of commission so early they should focus on those lighting patterns and maybe more with the boats earlier? Maybe put entertainment in the stands at that point? Really focus on the local aspect.

2.) RoL lacks the scale of WoC or other shows. I really think they need eight lotus, eight animal floats, and at least four main boats to work. I hope they can add more to really build this up.

3.) The ending isn't concise. Look at Illuminations:RoE. The globe opens, fire comes up, ending. Once the fire comes up from the main lotus there's a whole arrangement.

Now for positives I've seen on video:

1.) Floating water projection screens are smart and cool. Use them more, maybe even use them first before the main fountains in the lotus.

2.) Live performers. Always my jam and I hope they expand their use.

3.) Flame Tree area projections and lasers are awesome.

4.) Better videos show this off way more. Give it another chance.

From what I've heard from friends and people on Twitter is the show is a mixed bag. The general feeling is this isn't a "nighttime spectacular" but it isn't bad or terrible. It cost too much money not to be a "thing" but if they didn't make it a "thing" it would go down much better.

I'm excited to see this in person.

So some additional thoughts from better videos. Of course I have NOT seen this in person so if anyone from WDI sees this ignore it until I see it in person a few times. ;)

1.) I think the pacing is off. They shouldn't show the fountains off in the lotus too early. With the animal floats out of commission so early they should focus on those lighting patterns and maybe more with the boats earlier? Maybe put entertainment in the stands at that point? Really focus on the local aspect.

2.) RoL lacks the scale of WoC or other shows. I really think they need eight lotus, eight animal floats, and at least four main boats to work. I hope they can add more to really build this up.

3.) The ending isn't concise. Look at Illuminations:RoE. The globe opens, fire comes up, ending. Once the fire comes up from the main lotus there's a whole arrangement.

Now for positives I've seen on video:

1.) Floating water projection screens are smart and cool. Use them more, maybe even use them first before the main fountains in the lotus.

2.) Live performers. Always my jam and I hope they expand their use.

3.) Flame Tree area projections and lasers are awesome.

4.) Better videos show this off way more. Give it another chance.

From what I've heard from friends and people on Twitter is the show is a mixed bag. The general feeling is this isn't a "nighttime spectacular" but it isn't bad or terrible. It cost too much money not to be a "thing" but if they didn't make it a "thing" it would go down much better.

I'm excited to see this in person.
I still have yet to watch a video from a public performance as i'll be going tomorrow.

I think it's worth mentioning that this show was never meant to be WoC or Illuminations though. It's certainly going to have mixed reactions based on personal preference, but it fits the tone of DAK and this was never going to be some huge "spectacular" like RoE with fireworks or otherwise.

The issue, as always, was Disney hyped this show up far too much.

Reactions: Mad Dog
I still have yet to watch a video from a public performance as i'll be going tomorrow.

I think it's worth mentioning that this show was never meant to be WoC or Illuminations though. It's certainly going to have mixed reactions based on personal preference, but it fits the tone of DAK and this was never going to be some huge "spectacular" like RoE with fireworks or otherwise.

The issue, as always, was Disney hyped this show up far too much.

It's a nighttime show in an Orlando park; they have a level they have to match when they offer FP+ and have a stadium you have to be half an hour before and they sell popcorn for and stuff. But yeah I get what you're getting.

Reactions: SeventyOne and Nick
It's a nighttime show in an Orlando park; they have a level they have to match when they offer FP+ and have a stadium you have to be half an hour before and they sell popcorn for and stuff. But yeah I get what you're getting.
And I get what you're saying, too. Obviously opening a show in the Orlando market, any show is going to have high expectations and this doesn't seem to match them.

On one hand I love that they didn't use any IP for the show and made it fit thematically within the park. On the other hand, it's only a few steps above Cinematic Spectacular from what i've seen.

Rivers of Light is set up as an event, and there's no way to escape the perception of that. It's just a tad too short and dull in pacing to pack the punch that is required with the hassle of preparing to see it that most go through. Granted, when Avatar opens that will offset the grief largely but for now I can't see this being a huge hit.

Reactions: SeventyOne
Rivers-of-Light_Full_20990.jpg;width=630;height=422;mode=crop;quality=60;encoder=freeimage;progressive=true

Haven't watched any videos. But are there even water screens with this imagery?

So some additional thoughts from better videos. Of course I have NOT seen this in person so if anyone from WDI sees this ignore it until I see it in person a few times...
I just watched the video, and I agree with a lot of this. It's lacking a lot scale, and while I think the number of barges may be part of it, I feel like it's more impacted my small disappointments that Disney is typically way better at addressing. The biggest thing to me:

Why don't the animal barges move?

I completely understand the technical reasons; weight, corrosion, the internal lighting package that mechanics would obstruct. But those aren't impossible things to address. A nodding head and flapping wings/fins would turn a momentary "Neat" into a sustained "WOW" at their reveal.

In a similar fashion, why don't they pass both "banks" where you get a good look at all four instead of the two you get.

It's odd. It really feels like something spectacular is in there, but it's still a few layers deep.

This show is just missing some things. First off the scale is a big miss. That lake is huge! Far bigger than the space WoC uses. The difference is, WoC uses a TON of fountains (well over 500) while RoL uses maybe 40-50. The animal barges come out, only two of them pass by where you seated and then they rush them off to the back and are not seen again until the end. Most of the show is the lotus barges.

I will say the fact that the lotus barges have their own projection system and water screen to make the animal projections move around is really cool. I just wish there was more of it! The music is also very good! With more fountains, they could really give guests a "WOW" moment with the music timed to fountains. The fire is a nice touch as well, but when you compare it to the amount of fire in Fantasmic and RoE, it looks like a joke. I wish the smaller lotus barges had a fire effect as well.

Now to the bigger issues. The show is not long enough, with enough of a "WOW" moment to keep guests coming back. One of the main reasons (or at least general thoughts when this project was first announced) was for this show to draw people away from what is sure to be an incredible nighttime experience in Pandora with all the touch reactive lighting and just the overall feel of the area at night. Guests have to walk clear to the other side of the park to get back to Pandora after this show, while passing by the exit of the park so quite a few will leave. Unlike other nighttime shows, I don't see myself making a point to arrive at the seating area 45-60 minutes before show time to see a 15 minute show with no real thrilling, "WOW" moments. I get that's not AK's thing, but they need to do something.

Hopefully they keep working on this show and add stuff to it quickly. Although the Orlando team doesn't like to change things for a LONG time. Just look at how long it took them to upgrade Fantasmic to HD and how long we have had Wishes (which is thankfully on its way out soon!) without any changes to that show to keep it fresh for years.

This show is just missing some things. First off the scale is a big miss. That lake is huge! Far bigger than the space WoC uses. The difference is, WoC uses a TON of fountains (well over 500) while RoL uses maybe 40-50. The animal barges come out, only two of them pass by where you seated and then they rush them off to the back and are not seen again until the end. Most of the show is the lotus barges.

I will say the fact that the lotus barges have their own projection system and water screen to make the animal projections move around is really cool. I just wish there was more of it! The music is also very good! With more fountains, they could really give guests a "WOW" moment with the music timed to fountains. The fire is a nice touch as well, but when you compare it to the amount of fire in Fantasmic and RoE, it looks like a joke. I wish the smaller lotus barges had a fire effect as well.

Now to the bigger issues. The show is not long enough, with enough of a "WOW" moment to keep guests coming back. One of the main reasons (or at least general thoughts when this project was first announced) was for this show to draw people away from what is sure to be an incredible nighttime experience in Pandora with all the touch reactive lighting and just the overall feel of the area at night. Guests have to walk clear to the other side of the park to get back to Pandora after this show, while passing by the exit of the park so quite a few will leave. Unlike other nighttime shows, I don't see myself making a point to arrive at the seating area 45-60 minutes before show time to see a 15 minute show with no real thrilling, "WOW" moments. I get that's not AK's thing, but they need to do something.

Hopefully they keep working on this show and add stuff to it quickly. Although the Orlando team doesn't like to change things for a LONG time. Just look at how long it took them to upgrade Fantasmic to HD and how long we have had Wishes (which is thankfully on its way out soon!) without any changes to that show to keep it fresh for years.
The show is plenty long enough.

At 15 minutes, it's longer than Wishes and the same time as Illuminations. The issue is it doesn't pack enough of a punch within the show.

RoL is no nighttime "spectacular"

For a show you need to sit down 30+ mins ahead and reserve Fastpass, it is short.
True.

The only comparison for a stadium seating show is Fantasmic, which is 22-minutes. The original length of RoL was 24 mins, but if those other 9 mins dulled up the show even more, was it worth it to be so long?

Would I have liked an action packed 24 minutes? Absolutely. But we've got what we got at this point and can only hope they improve it over time.

Reactions: Parkscope Joe
I'm just not sure why 9 months after the show was supposed to premier, it's still not a finished product. And, if it's not finished why is it opening?

I understand "it takes time to make the magic right", but at some point they need to get it done!

And, if it's not finished why is it opening?
Because the show can perform nightly and isn't terrible. They wanted this open for the spring break/Easter crowds and they got it.

From what I know, there isn't much missing from the show, but if you want to keep waiting months and months for them to simply add floating lanterns and a few other things than no one is forcing you to go see the show yet.

Reactions: Parkscope Joe
Because the show can perform nightly and isn't terrible. They wanted this open for the spring break/Easter crowds and they got it.

From what I know, there isn't much missing from the show, but if you want to keep waiting months and months for them to simply add floating lanterns and a few other things than no one is forcing you to go see the show yet.
I get that, but are they giving a disclaimer "this show is still a work in progress" before it starts? It just seems un-Disney like to open an unfinished show, especially when they've been working on it for over a year now and have been re-tooling it for over nine months.

Reactions: Nick
I get that, but are they giving a disclaimer "this show is still a work in progress" before it starts? It just seems un-Disney like to open an unfinished show, especially when they've been working on it for over a year now and have been re-tooling it for over nine months.
I agree, but the technical aspects of the show really bogged things down (unnecessarily imo). Much like Kong, I'm not sure why this show needed to use such advanced technology. Drivers on the boats could have solved much of this shows woes.

This show is just missing some things. First off the scale is a big miss. That lake is huge! Far bigger than the space WoC uses. The difference is, WoC uses a TON of fountains (well over 500) while RoL uses maybe 40-50.

More accurate. WOC uses 1,300 fountains and effects (strobes, smoke, fire, ect). RoL uses around 30 (counting the screens)

I have mixed feelings about RoL. There are some really great moments and I love the original song, but the last act is where things go downhill. The finale is just laughable. The moving barges need to be closer to the audience.

Last edited:
I agree, but the technical aspects of the show really bogged things down (unnecessarily imo). Much like Kong, I'm not sure why this show needed to use such advanced technology. Drivers on the boats could have solved much of this shows woes.

I fully agree, I honestly feel all the tech issues and delays stem from the driverless barges. An' considering the R&D and tech probably did not come cheap, one has to question if it was really worth it. This isn't like trackless darkrides where you can do plenty of things a tracked ride can't do, and it can really enhance the experience.

With driverless barges on the other hand, there's really no visable enhancement. It's nothing more then a behind the scenes tidbit, and if issues with the tech is preventing them from having more barges out there...then that is expensive tech which is gimping the show in more ways then one. I would rather pay to have drivers on the boats, themed jetskis pulling strings of lanterns etc, then limiting what can be on the water just to say "It's all wireless!"

Reactions: Nick

Disney probably wanted to save their $10/hour.