Rogue Squadron (2023) | Inside Universal Forums

Rogue Squadron (2023)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Anyone else a little less enthused about her on this movie now? I think she's a good director, but my worry is more with the fact that she's writing the film as well. WW84 was a mess in that regard and she wrote the film, unlike the first Wonder Woman movie.

Yeah, not concerned about her ability to stage solid action sequences, but I kind of wish she wasn't also co-writing the thing.
I honestly don't understand how writing gigs work in Hollywood. You have absolutely terrible writers like Chris Terrio and Alex Kurtzman that somehow manage to consistently get good gigs. Then you get writers like Craig Maizin who one day make defining masterpieces. Maybe most screenplays are just bad and get smoothed out in the collaborative proccess of filmmaking, because everytime I read a leaked BlackList screenplay, it always ranks among the worst things I've ever read.

On an unrelated note, I really hope Olivia Wilde makes that Florence Pugh/Harry Styles movie good.

I honestly don't understand how writing gigs work in Hollywood. You have absolutely terrible writers like Chris Terrio and Alex Kurtzman that somehow manage to consistently get good gigs. Then you get writers like Craig Maizin who one day make defining masterpieces. Maybe most screenplays are just bad and get smoothed out in the collaborative proccess of filmmaking, because everytime I read a leaked BlackList screenplay, it always ranks among the worst things I've ever read.

On an unrelated note, I really hope Olivia Wilde makes that Florence Pugh/Harry Styles movie good.

Having a great agent helps. People fail upwards in Hollywood - you get to know enough people, you're amiable in a room, and folks like working with you. Some will inevitably land in director/writer jail for a high profile enough flop, but even then, things tend to boomerang if they stick it out.

Blacklist is a whole different beast. In recent years its selections are a combination of Hollywood politics (basically agents and managers working in tandem to call in favors for preferred clients they are trying to launch) and what is considered "buzzy." It's now part of the parlance that an idea might "be a great Blacklist script," meaning it may not have the cache to get made, but the premise grabs you enough to potentially stick in execs' minds and make it on the lower end of the list.

Back to the actual topic: I am less enthused post WW84 and wonder how Disney feels about the timing. They did after all announce the Josh Trank hire, only to quietly dismiss him once F4 flopped and word of his misbehavior hit the trades. Jenkins is as far as I know a total professional, and the failure here strikes me more as too much studio tinkering + iffy writing more than her ability to direct a tentpole. With that said, I agree that her writing Rogue Squadron does make me a bit nervous following WW84.

I want to point out...every Director has a movie or two you might not care for.....JJ has made some great things and some not so great things....George Lucas Made Star Wars and Indy....then made the Prequels and Indy 4, even Steven Spillberg has made some meh films. So Unlike I see a bad trailer I'll wait.
I hope its good but also will have to see how it ties into the new canon

Back to the actual topic: I am less enthused post WW84 and wonder how Disney feels about the timing. They did after all announce the Josh Trank hire, only to quietly dismiss him once F4 flopped and word of his misbehavior hit the trades. Jenkins is as far as I know a total professional, and the failure here strikes me more as too much studio tinkering + iffy writing more than her ability to direct a tentpole. With that said, I agree that her writing Rogue Squadron does make me a bit nervous following WW84.
The good thing though with Rogue Squadron is, although it's Star wars, she is sort of creating an "original" film in a way. It's set post-sequels and is sort of a standalone film. For all we know, these guys could all die at the end of the film like with Rogue One. Character choices won't be questioned as heavily as she's creating all-new characters here. The one thing that will remain a constant is criticizing her writing abilities, because that truly will make or break a film. It wasn't acting that broke WW84.

The good thing though with Rogue Squadron is, although it's Star wars, she is sort of creating an "original" film in a way. It's set post-sequels and is sort of a standalone film. For all we know, these guys could all die at the end of the film like with Rogue One. Character choices won't be questioned as heavily as she's creating all-new characters here. The one thing that will remain a constant is criticizing her writing abilities, because that truly will make or break a film. It wasn't acting that broke WW84.
I still gotta wonder what the in-universe angle for this movie is. Is it kind of like Top Gun where the state of the world is ancilliary to the personal relationships between characters, or will they introduce a new threat, and if so, will it evolve the universe beyond the typical rebel-empire conflict?

I want to point out...every Director has a movie or two you might not care for.....JJ has made some great things and some not so great things....George Lucas Made Star Wars and Indy....then made the Prequels and Indy 4, even Steven Spillberg has made some meh films. So Unlike I see a bad trailer I'll wait.
I hope its good but also will have to see how it ties into the new canon
No one's saying she's a bad director and yeah, everyone director has a bad day at the office. We're just pointing out valid concerns about her writing capabilities after WW84.

I still gotta wonder what the in-universe angle for this movie is. Is it kind of like Top Gun where the state of the world is ancilliary to the personal relationships between characters, or will they introduce a new threat, and if so, will it evolve the universe beyond the typical rebel-empire conflict?
It's possible we get a preview of what this movie could be like in the Rangers of the New Republic series. Obviously none of those characters will be around, but i'm more so speaking to what the feel of the movie might be.

No one's saying she's a bad director and yeah, everyone director has a bad day at the office. We're just pointing out valid concerns about her writing capabilities after WW84.

It's possible we get a preview of what this movie could be like in the Rangers of the New Republic series. Obviously none of those characters will be around, but i'm more so speaking to what the feel of the movie might be.
I'm sure John and Dave will help guide the story. Also no magic besides the force will be here. I think its going to be a more "grounded" story about flying. Also think she gained some owner ship of WW since she made what most consider the best new DC film...I think SW is going to have John/Dave help lead the story's from now and on and won't let it get out of her hands.

I'm sure John and Dave will help guide the story. Also no magic besides the force will be here. I think its going to be a more "grounded" story about flying. Also think she gained some owner ship of WW since she made what most consider the best new DC film...I think SW is going to have John/Dave help lead the story's from now and on and won't let it get out of her hands.
Unless Kathleen Kennedy put John and Dave on this project or Patty Jenkins hires them herself, they may not be on set or in a writers room to guide her.

Also, yes, she did make Wonder Woman and it is considered one of, if not the best DCEU films. However, she only directed that, and I stress again, no one here is saying she can't direct a movie. She's a great director. It's the writing that people are expressing concern about and she had no hand in writing the original Wonder Woman. The script was done by Allen Heinburg.

I also think it's a valid concern to wonder if Jenkins has too much on her plate right now. She has a Cleopatra movie which is supposed to be coming out in 2022 with Paramount, Rogue Squadron in 2023 and Wonder Woman 3 probably in 2024 or so. That's a lot to focus on in a short amount of time and also make sure that it's a quality product.

Unless Kathleen Kennedy put John and Dave on this project or Patty Jenkins hires them herself, they may not be on set or in a writers room to guide her.

Also, yes, she did make Wonder Woman and it is considered one of, if not the best DCEU films. However, she only directed that, and I stress again, no one here is saying she can't direct a movie. She's a great director. It's the writing that people are expressing concern about and she had no hand in writing the original Wonder Woman. The script was done by Allen Heinburg.

I also think it's a valid concern to wonder if Jenkins has too much on her plate right now. She has a Cleopatra movie which is supposed to be coming out in 2022 with Paramount, Rogue Squadron in 2023 and Wonder Woman 3 probably in 2024 or so. That's a lot to focus on in a short amount of time and also make sure that it's a quality product.
That's fair...but I think since John/Dave are literally making like 10ish shows that are link in a way or another and this is set in that same universe they would talk. I'm just not going to worry until we see it looking bad.

I kinda have faith in Disney right now...they see how big something small like Mando can get and how much it can make them and think they will want this small movie to become BIGGER than it should be but yeah the head of Lucasfilm could be a dumb dumb and let Patty do whatever and we are screwed in the end and get another meh Star Wars film.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's fair...but I think since John/Dave are literally making like 10ish shows that are link in a way or another and this is set in that same universe they would talk. I'm just not going to worry until we see it looking bad.

I kinda have faith in Disney right now...they see how big something small like Mando can get and how much it can make them and think they will want this small movie to become BIGGER than it should be but yeah the head of Lucasfilm could be a dumb dumb and let Patty do whatever and we are screwed in the end and get another meh Star Wars film
I'm not down on the movie, i'm just proceeding with caution :lol:

Although it wouldn't be unprecedented for the head of LucasFilm to let a director just screw around and do whatever they want. She let it happen with the sequels, Rogue One (luckily that movie turned out good), AND she let it happen with Solo to the point where Lord and Miller were making an entirely different kind of movie than they agreed to make. That's all five Star Wars movies made under Kathleen something has gone wrong. Not to mention the announced trilogies that didn't get made (Benioff & Weiss, Rian Johnson).

I dislike that this is set post sequels. Might be a fine film, but my attachment to the name "Rogue Squadron" comes from the videogames where all the missions were set in either the prequels timeline, OT timeline, or right after the OT and follow the adventures of Luke and Wedge as fighter pilots, assembling the best pilots to take on the most high risk missions against the remnants of the empire and fighting to snuff out it's re-emergence.

Taking the name, then plastering it on a completely new story set after the sequels irks me a little bit.

Why not use a new name? Respect the legacy content where it can tie directly into the original content?

I'd like to hope Disney takes more of a "Reboot, not Reimagine" approach to how they handle some of the content they play with.

If they make this movie, and it doesn't even nod to some of the ideas presented by the Rogue Squadron games, It's really going to be a slap in the face to the long time fans, and the fans that grew up with those games. Why, even after post-palp do they even need a "Rogue Squadron"?

I dislike that this is set post sequels. Might be a fine film, but my attachment to the name "Rogue Squadron" comes from the videogames where all the missions were set in either the prequels timeline, OT timeline, or right after the OT and follow the adventures of Luke and Wedge as fighter pilots, assembling the best pilots to take on the most high risk missions against the remnants of the empire and fighting to snuff out it's re-emergence.

Taking the name, then plastering it on a completely new story set after the sequels irks me a little bit.

Why not use a new name? Respect the legacy content where it can tie directly into the original content?

I'd like to hope Disney takes more of a "Reboot, not Reimagine" approach to how they handle some of the content they play with.

If they make this movie, and it doesn't even nod to some of the ideas presented by the Rogue Squadron games, It's really going to be a slap in the face to the long time fans, and the fans that grew up with those games. Why, even after post-palp do they even need a "Rogue Squadron"?
Dude.

No one ever would've thought we'd be getting a Rogue Squadron movie to begin with. Like, I get you like the game, but as fans, I think we have to realize when we're spoiled. Because we're spoiled we always want more or want to criticize, etc, but like, you're lucky this movie is even getting made and the name is even being used for a movie. And it could be really cool! I hope they set it a few hundred years after the sequels tbh. Give it a clean slate to work with.

Dude.

No one ever would've thought we'd be getting a Rogue Squadron movie to begin with. Like, I get you like the game, but as fans, I think we have to realize when we're spoiled. Because we're spoiled we always want more or want to criticize, etc, but like, you're lucky this movie is even getting made and the name is even being used for a movie. And it could be really cool! I hope they set it a few hundred years after the sequels tbh. Give it a clean slate to work with.

We're spoiled because we expect some previously established lore to be acknowledged? I mean, Wedge is basically the Boba Fett of the rebellion. He's a pilot in all of the originals, plus he was given a cameo in TROS. Thank god they didn't do him like they did Ackbar. Rogue Squadron is kind of his thing in what has been established... My question is more or less why use the name?

Like I said, It might end up being a fine film. It could end up being the best star wars film ever.

But, considering the game was made by lucasarts and was supposed to be cannon... I just take the opinion that perhaps rather using the name that the fans would know and acting like the content they/we would associate with it didn't exist they distance themselves from writing all over everything that was established. This is one of those moments where they could show us something new, without stepping all on the lore and it would be fine... There is space in what they are doing with the lore now to have the fabled rogue squadron in the timeline occupied by Mando. Recasting young wedge... Super easy. His story, for most fans and new fans is a blank slate. He occupies space they could absolutely get away with rewriting all over because he was never THAT major, but he is known. A fairly new and unexplored concept on screen for old and new fans alike? Why not take that shot?

This is like throwing away a slam dunk opportunity to try and shoot a 3. They might get the 3... But considering they are just now winning back the fans after the sequel trilogy do they really want to go back to taking risk with the franchise?

It is just in poor taste imo. They could have named the movie "Rebel Squadron" or something.

But, really this is all speculation, we don't know what they are going to do with it... But I hope they acknowledge the lore associated with the name of the movie.

My issue is more about how they are managing the property.

We're spoiled because we expect some previously established lore to be acknowledged? I mean, Wedge is basically the Boba Fett of the rebellion. He's a pilot in all of the originals, plus he was given a cameo in TROS. Thank god they didn't do him like they did Ackbar. Rogue Squadron is kind of his thing in what has been established... My question is more or less why use the name?

Like I said, It might end up being a fine film. It could end up being the best star wars film ever.

But, considering the game was made by lucasarts and was supposed to be cannon... I just take the opinion that perhaps rather using the name that the fans would know and acting like the content they/we would associate with it didn't exist they distance themselves from writing all over everything that was established. This is one of those moments where they could show us something new, without stepping all on the lore and it would be fine... There is space in what they are doing with the lore now to have the fabled rogue squadron in the timeline occupied by Mando. Recasting young wedge... Super easy. His story, for most fans and new fans is a blank slate. He occupies space they could absolutely get away with rewriting all over because he was never THAT major, but he is known. A fairly new and unexplored concept on screen for old and new fans alike? Why not take that shot?

This is like throwing away a slam dunk opportunity to try and shoot a 3. They might get the 3... But considering they are just now winning back the fans after the sequel trilogy do they really want to go back to taking risk with the franchise?

It is just in poor taste imo. They could have named the movie "Rebel Squadron" or something.

But, really this is all speculation, we don't know what they are going to do with it... But I hope they acknowledge the lore associated with the name of the movie.

My issue is more about how they are managing the property.
It’s lore from a video game that I don’t even think is canon anymore.