Rogue Squadron (2023) | Page 2 | Inside Universal Forums

Rogue Squadron (2023)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
It’s lore from a video game that I don’t even think is canon anymore.

I think they should tread carefully on what they overwrite though. Especially since wedge is still alive in the sequels... Albeit a gunner for lando.

Also, I googled it, apparently the "new canon" orgin for Rogue Squadron is almost exactly the same as before... Still with Luke and Wedge leading, but now it's a reference to Rogue One and Jyn Erso... And Rogue Squadron wasn't in the battle of endor?

I mean, really. It's almost like they are just trying to shoot themselves in the foot by making unnecessary changes to the lore. I get it won't matter to non-fans. But, that's precisely the point... It also convolutes the story they've already established.

I think they should tread carefully on what they overwrite though. Especially since wedge is still alive in the sequels... Albeit a gunner for lando.

Also, I googled it, apparently the "new canon" orgin for Rogue Squadron is almost exactly the same as before... Still with Luke and Wedge leading, but now it's a reference to Rogue One and Jyn Erso... And Rogue Squadron wasn't in the battle of endor?

I mean, really. It's almost like they are just trying to shoot themselves in the foot by making unnecessary changes to the lore. I get it won't matter to non-fans. But, that's precisely the point... It also convolutes the story they've already established.
My point is, it’s a fighter pilot movie like Top Gun, I think. They’re just using an existing Star Wars name. I honestly don’t care about anything except if it’s good or not.

Apparently, Jenkins has scheduling issues for 2022, thus the delay. Could be simple scheduling issues, sure.

However... "scheduling issues" is many times code for how companies cancel a high-profile movie in a slow manner. TBH, after WW84, i'm not sure I care too much if this movie has to change directors. Maybe Top Gun: Maverick is amazing and they bring on Joseph Kosinski.

Last edited:
I think it's DOA.
I don't know if the movie is DOA, I think Patty Jenkins is out and they just don't want to say it yet. Like I said in my post above, if Top Gun: Maverick is great (which is a similar movie to what Rogue Squadron is supposed to be), I could see Joseph Kosinski coming on board. He does have a pre-existing relationship with the mouse as he directed TRON: Legacy.

Reactions: MrBlonde
Not surprising to here, but...

Meanwhile, Kathleen Kennedy gets rewarded for her incompetence running LucasFilm over the past decade or so (aside from the streaming success)

Last edited:
I've seen a bit of conflicting reports on that, more specifically from Steven Weintraub (Before he deleted it).

Meanwhile, Kathleen Kennedy gets rewarded for her incompetence running LucasFilm over the past decade or so (aside from the streaming success)

Honestly, the fact that Star Wars was mostly absent from D+Day makes me think we may need to keep watch of things. Because there are other reports that Rian's project is also shelved for "Creative differences".

Honestly, the fact that Star Wars was mostly absent from D+Day makes me think we may need to keep watch of things. Because there are other reports that Rian's project is also shelved for "Creative differences".
Yup, the fact that they seem to be avoiding showing any Star Wars content from their new shows has me worried about a plethora of issues behind the scenes.

Just look at the since about 2015 or so when LucasFilm started making live-action movies again. Indy 5 has taken forever to finally come together after going through development hell, the D&D trilogy which got cancelled, Rian's movie (which was already paired down from a triogy), Jenkins' movie being shelved, Solo, Rogue One, and TROS needing to change directors, and also, let's not forget that Obi-Wan and Andor have had production issues so far.

Kathleen Kennedy was one of Hollywood's best producers for about 40 years before taking over this role. But just because she's a great Producer doesn't mean she should be running a studio. IMO, she has proved that she can't do this job properly time and time again, and i'm far from the harshest of Kennedy critics.

I mean I'll be honest...I wasn't too excited for these Films anyway. So who knows, maybe they sucked and are just not up to the Shows standards.

WW2 was fine and most people are split on last Jedi...so for me these are whatever new.

I would like to see less Star Wars films and only films come out that are worth it....Rogue Squadron to me is much better as a Video game or show anyway.

I would like to see less Star Wars films and only films come out that are worth it....Rogue Squadron to me is much better as a Video game or show anyway.

To me Star Wars always felt like the Olympics. It stops the normal pop culture and everything revolves around that for a bit around release. I hope they can recapture that magic.

Lucasfilm I think is having issues on defining what they want the corporate line of star Wars to be, but it can be so many different things to different people. But once they got successful with Mando, it's "we want that."

I hope these things can get straightened out because I don't care who's in charge, there just needs to be fun stories in the sandbox that is the SW galaxy.

To me Star Wars always felt like the Olympics. It stops the normal pop culture and everything revolves around that for a bit around release. I hope they can recapture that magic.

Lucasfilm I think is having issues on defining what they want the corporate line of star Wars to be, but it can be so many different things to different people. But once they got successful with Mando, it's "we want that."

I hope these things can get straightened out because I don't care who's in charge, there just needs to be fun stories in the sandbox that is the SW galaxy.
Agreed but since Mando, I dont think they have put really anything bad out

Clone Wars, Mando season 2 and Bad Batch were all good

Agreed but since Mando, I dont think they have put really anything bad out

Clone Wars, Mando season 2 and Bad Batch were all good
Yeah, you have to give her credit where it's due if we're going to criticize Kennedy, too. And beyond that, even with all of her blunders, 4 of the 5 movies that have been released under her time at the helm at LucasFilm have made over $1B and TFA made over $2B.

Chapek is looking to grow Disney+ and if you look at the upcoming slate for Star Wars, if those shows are of the same quality as Mando, then we'll have little to complain about and she'll be doing her job right.

Jenkins is dropping Cleopatra from her schedule to focus of Wonder Woman 3 and Rogue Squadron.

Patty Jenkins claims Rogue Squadron is back in active development. Of course she says literally one sentence later that she doesn’t know whether this will happen or not so…

More of the same. I’d love to see this movie get made if the script is any good. A Rogue Squadron movie has a lot of potential.

Reactions: MrBlonde
They literally had Rogue Squadron books. Maybe they should, you know... tap from that for a script.

I'd be disappointed if it didn't have Top Gun style filming for the X-Wing POVs. But I don't see this movie happening in this galaxy or one far far away