Roller Coaster Tycoon 4 | Inside Universal Forums

Roller Coaster Tycoon 4

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Man this thread got me excited. Supposedly they are working on a Roller Coaster Tycoon movie and if all goes well with that we could see a real RCT4. In the meantime though, Theme Park Studio is beginning to release in phases.

Was a very big fan of RCT back in its hey day so I would be willing to at least give it a shot. A movie based on RCT? That will be interesting to see if true

:wave:I'll give it a try. If it does eventually come out in PC as a true PC game then I'll be surprised. But i would think they would release the true PC Game with the movie in the next couple of years.

surprisingly its an iOS exclusive on mobile at launch we'll see if the iOS version is successful they may expand to other platforms

Being a fan of the series, it really sucks to see this is what Atari has come up with. This is by no means an' RCT game, it's a theme park version of Farmville with social media features and micro-transactions out of the wazoo. In fact, it looks far more like Bullfrog's/EA's Theme Park rather then RCT.

RCT was known for being on the realistic side, where people could create real looking parks and coasters. RCT4 is a huge step backwards and all the signs are pointing that it's not going to be good...nor will the PC version. This is what Atari wrote on their FB reguarding the PC version.

"We hear everyone's comments on the new RollerCoaster Tycoon game and want to let you all know that the mobile game and PC experience will be 2 completely different games. Both games will release this year. The mobile game will include social features (sharing with friends, leaderboards) and the PC experience will have even more features and functionality. We are excited to bring these games to you soon!"

They can claim both the mobile and PC version of the game is completely different all they want, however there's several things which say otherwise. The fact they keep mentioning the PC version as a "PC experience" should be a red flag. (The fact that the PC version is listed as an' online game on one of their sheets is also a big red flag.) Also, that comment makes the PC version come off as being the same as the mobile, but with more features added to it.

The PC version of the game is scheduled to be released in the fall, which is about 6-7 months away. Knowing how game companies are, there is no way the PC version will be drastically different then the mobile version. After all, Atari went bankrupt last year and they had to shelve plans of porting the original RCT and RCT2 to mobile...if they couldn't afford that, then there's no way they'd shell out the money to make two compleately different games between the mobile and PC.

I don't know, I have more faith in Atari then to do that to one of their biggest titles. Fans have been waiting for RCT4 for years, and the Atari forums are still filled with creators. I think they realize how many people like to share their parks with others, and they want to make it even easier for people to share their creations, instead of having to pack it into a zip folder. And the "PC experience" is the only thing that gives me hope, when they say they will be 2 completely different games, that is not saying "The PC version will be the mobile version with more" but rather "The PC version will also have the sharing feature, but will be a different game." I predict RCT4 to have it's own scenery/ride vehicle creator so that people do not have to rely on custom scenery or custom tracked rides. Atari took a huge step forward with RCT3, they are not going to take a step back.

^ I have to be blunt, knokout. Considering RCT4 looks like every theme park app game on the market, they've already taken a huge step back.

Also, you have to consider this. No company creates a game, and then shells out the money to make a compleately different version of the game at the same time. When a company makes a game for various platforms, it's very similar and not something that can be considered compleately different.

If the PC version was truly compleately different, it would be totally seperate and have a different look, feel, gameplay, design etc. But with Atari going bankrupt last year and having the shelve plans to port the original games to mobile, there's just no way they'd shell out the money on "2 compleately different games".

^ I have to be blunt, knokout. Considering RCT4 looks like every theme park app game on the market, they've already taken a huge step back.

Also, you have to consider this. No company creates a game, and then shells out the money to make a compleately different version of the game at the same time. When a company makes a game for various platforms, it's very similar and not something that can be considered compleately different.

If the PC version was truly compleately different, it would be totally seperate and have a different look, feel, gameplay, design etc. But with Atari going bankrupt last year and having the shelve plans to port the original games to mobile, there's just no way they'd shell out the money on "2 compleately different games".

Actually, a lot of companies do it, including Atari. There was already a Roller Coaster Tycoon for the 3DS. Call of Duty usually gets a handheld release that's a different game, along with countless other games that go to either mobile or handheld (Assassin's Creed 3 off the top of my head). Of course it looks like an app, it's the mobile version, maybe the sales team has good reason to hide away pictures of the PC version. A lot of companies want to avoid setting up hype too long before a release date because by the time the release date comes people will lose interest in it. For all we know they could have been working on RCT4 with a small team for years now. I have faith in the series, if they were truly bankrupt, they wouldn't bother ruining one of their biggest series. They would go with a different mobile game like they have in the past, or go with another arcade game. They are smart enough not to ruin the RCT series, sales teams are not idiots. Have some faith.

Blarg, I agree it'll end up being more like a cross between Farmville and the Theme Park games. Basic layouts, not much stats, and it appears there't not even terrain adjusting functions. Monitization will probably be around the lines of "repair x amount of coasters, then wait 30 minutes, or BUY REPAIRS NOW" and the usual premium attractions.

:down:

Actually, a lot of companies do it, including Atari. There was already a Roller Coaster Tycoon for the 3DS. Call of Duty usually gets a handheld release that's a different game, along with countless other games that go to either mobile or handheld (Assassin's Creed 3 off the top of my head).

Unfortunately, those examples don't fit with what I've been saying. I've been saying that companies don't make 2 compleately different versions of a game at the same time.

What you mentioned was the norm for companies, a game on multiple platforms...but ultimately they're quite similar to each other. An' RCT for the 3DS doesn't count in this debate since that was a stand-alone with no other RCT game being made and released that year.

Also, Atari has no excuse for making a mobile version of RCT that looks like every other cheap and terrible theme park knock-off on the market. They could've just ported the original games and they alone would've stood out amongst the competition. (If games like GTA:SA can be ported to mobile very well, I don't see how RCT can't.)

Believe me, I wish I could have faith and not be smashing them at the moment, but there's been no sign whatsoever that this is going to be good. I would love to be proven wrong, but I have a feeling that when they release screenshots and info of the PC version...it'll be a case where I hate being proven right.

Unfortunately, those examples don't fit with what I've been saying. I've been saying that companies don't make 2 compleately different versions of a game at the same time.

What you mentioned was the norm for companies, a game on multiple platforms...but ultimately they're quite similar to each other. An' RCT for the 3DS doesn't count in this debate since that was a stand-alone with no other RCT game being made and released that year.

Also, Atari has no excuse for making a mobile version of RCT that looks like every other cheap and terrible theme park knock-off on the market. They could've just ported the original games and they alone would've stood out amongst the competition. (If games like GTA:SA can be ported to mobile very well, I don't see how RCT can't.)

Believe me, I wish I could have faith and not be smashing them at the moment, but there's been no sign whatsoever that this is going to be good. I would love to be proven wrong, but I have a feeling that when they release screenshots and info of the PC version...it'll be a case where I hate being proven right.

I wasn't saying it was the same game over multiple platforms, I was saying it will be same name, different game, on handhelds. It does happen a lot. Not same game, listen closely there, usually it will be developed by a different studio of the company, in a completely different state or country. And if they are doing a PC version it is not unreasonable for them to bank on those ALWAYS on their phone with a RCT mobile. I am sure the mobile target market doesn't have much interest in the PC game. And who cares that RCT 3DS was a stand alone that year, being made in separate years suddenly changes things? Atari COULD be making a crap facebook like game for the computer, but personally I don't think they will due to how long they have been "in the game". Just my opinion.

Let me clear things up.

Atari has stated that both the mobile and PC experience will be 2 compleately different games. Both are also coming out the same year.

When it comes to companies releasing a game on both a console/PC and handheld/mobile the same year...the games are not compleately different from one another. For example CoD:MW3 on consoles/PC is a first person shooter. While CoD:MW3 on the 3DS is...a first person shooter. It is by no means compleately different. It may have a little difference here and there, but nothing radically different. That is the norm for companies in that situation.

So while RCT4 for the PC may have a difference or two, it's not going to be compleately different from the mobile version like Atari is saying. The PC version is going to be quite similar to the mobile game, which is a huge problem considering the backlash the mobile version is getting.

Let me clear things up.

Atari has stated that both the mobile and PC experience will be 2 compleately different games. Both are also coming out the same year.

When it comes to companies releasing a game on both a console/PC and handheld/mobile the same year...the games are not compleately different from one another. For example CoD:MW3 on consoles/PC is a first person shooter. While CoD:MW3 on the 3DS is...a first person shooter. It is by no means compleately different. It may have a little difference here and there, but nothing radically different. That is the norm for companies in that situation.

So while RCT4 for the PC may have a difference or two, it's not going to be compleately different from the mobile version like Atari is saying. The PC version is going to be quite similar to the mobile game, which is a huge problem considering the backlash the mobile version is getting.

Honestly that clears nothing up...

"For example CoD:MW3 on consoles/PC is a first person shooter. While CoD:MW3 on the 3DS is...a first person shooter."

RCT4 on mobile is going to be a theme park simulation game, RCT4 on the computer is going to be a theme park simulation game. Obviously all games in that genera are going to have some similarities, but that does not mean that they are exactly the same. They do not need to make one of them a Role-Playing Game for it to be a completely different experience.

^ Apologies, I wasn't fully awake when I wrote that and that wasn't the best of examples.

The main gist is, Atari is claiming both the Mobile and PC versions are compleately different games. But in that situation with the game having both PC/console and handheld versions...and both being released the same year...companies just don't make the console and handheld versions radically different from one another. Just look at any major game that released on both PC/Console and handheld the same year, the handheld versions arn't drastically different from their console counterparts.

So what you see on RCT4 Mobile, that's going to be similar on what you'll see for the PC version. The PC certainly won't be like the previous versions of RCT, it's going to be more like the theme park knock-off that the mobile version is. Atari can say they're two compleately different games, but the industry shows otherwise in this situation.

So basically it all boils down to whether or not we think Atari will completely ruin their series by making a half ass PC version as a money grab, or want to make a new and spectacular RCT4 and just don't want to throw too much hype out yet. Being a long time fan of RCT since RCT1 I just don't see them ruining the name, but it is possible. If I am wrong I will be right there with you cursing Atari. I just have seen too much done by sales teams of games to know how they like to work the hype train, especially with song a long awaited game with an announcement right out of the blue.