(Rumor) New Potter Attraction to Replace Fear Factor Live? | Page 94 | Inside Universal Forums

(Rumor) New Potter Attraction to Replace Fear Factor Live?

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
3 of the same exact ride system opened at the resort in the span of 2 years. 2 in the same park.
The rides were fully developed by the time they realized trackless tech wasn’t the most efficient ride system.

Not saying trackless tech is a bad ride system choice, but a lot of the stories/ideas they’ve implemented can be done through other more efficient ride systems as well.

The rides were fully developed by the time they realized trackless tech wasn’t the most efficient ride system.

Not saying trackless tech is a bad ride system choice, but a lot of the stories/ideas they’ve implemented can be done through other more efficient ride systems as well.
I mean, we got one of the best overall theme park rides period out of that addition of trackless rides in Rise and Rise, imo, absolutely could not have been done with any other ride system.

There’s a trackless Pooh ride that’s pretty much been running for what, two decades now? You never hear about that having extended down time. I wonder if part of the issue is since there’s three at the resort that are new and need maintenance to help with downtime, not all of them can always receive the love they properly need. If it was just Rise I wonder if things would be better? Then again, DL hasn’t had two until recent months and Rise is still a mess.

I mean, we got one of the best overall theme park rides period out of that addition of trackless rides in Rise and Rise, imo, absolutely could not have been done with any other ride system.

There’s a trackless Pooh ride that’s pretty much been running for what, two decades now? You never hear about that having extended down time. I wonder if part of the issue is since there’s three at the resort that are new and need maintenance to help with downtime, not all of them can always receive the love they properly need. If it was just Rise I wonder if things would be better? Then again, DL hasn’t had two until recent months and Rise is still a mess.

Though this topic might better served elsewhere, I have figured that Rise's issues stemed from combining too much. The ride has moving cannons to avoid plus a lot of other effects. Then, the elevators double as motion sim's and plague the ride as well. From what I've seen of the Pooh ride, the trackless vehicles kind of dance around each other but do not have go through as strenuous a course.

I believe the Tokyo Pooh ride uses a different trackless system and also can run if an animatronic or scene is broken, Rise not so much.

I believe the Tokyo Pooh ride uses a different trackless system and also can run if an animatronic or scene is broken, Rise not so much.
That’s true, there’s a ton of moving parts in Rise that really all need to be working for the ride to operate and the ride to not look janky.

It may not even be the RV giving them trouble in some instances. If the AAs go down, the elevator has issues, Kylo’s lightsaber in the ceiling even. All are vital to the experience. I’ve never seen any of that stuff not work, but the extended down time the ride still sees tells me there’s still issues all around that are always being addressed.

That’s true, there’s a ton of moving parts in Rise that really all need to be working for the ride to operate and the ride to not look janky.

It may not even be the RV giving them trouble in some instances. If the AAs go down, the elevator has issues, Kylo’s sword in the ceiling even. All are vital to the experience. I’ve never seen any of that stuff not work, but the extended down time the ride still sees tells me there’s still issues all around that are always being addressed.

Yes, but even Runaway and Remy, without all of that impressive stuff, still runs into trouble every day.

I definitely agree with your thoughts regarding this topic. It seems they just have trouble finding the right IP for a successful stage show.
The problem isn't lack of IP -- several have been mentioned, several more could be dusted off. The problem is that it's incredibly difficult to write an engaging, all-ages, all-cultures show that tells a satisfying 3-act story (including set-up for audience members new to the characters) in 25 minutes. For a ride, the "routine tour but something goes horribly wrong!" plotline gets reused all the time because it works. A show needs a lot more creativity.

Oh, and if it's a popular IP, music clearances might be an issue. Looking at BTTF here, as a musical or anything else.

Guests no longer want to sit through a 47 minute show, nor a 30 minute show, nor a 22 minute show. Untrainable at USB is 19 minutes long and I'm willing to bet the EU lagoon show and Potter show/Circus Arcanus.

Reactions: Alicia
Guests no longer want to sit through a 47 minute show, nor a 30 minute show, nor a 22 minute show. Untrainable at USB is 19 minutes long and I'm willing to bet the EU lagoon show and Potter show/Circus Arcanus.

Festival of the Lion King is a solid 30-minute show. It's a high-quality show that people consistently line up for, and is a highlight for many.

There's still demand for high-quality 30-minute shows (anything above that is unnecessary), but Disney has the advantage of having enough quality IPs to base a show on.

Aladdin at DCA was 45-60 minutes of great quality entertainment. There's definitely demand out there, just a matter of choosing the right story/IP/scale.

I'm almost never going to choose to watch a show over getting in line for another ride ... or just find a shady spot to have a beer, if I really need to take a load off. but there still seems to be a healthy appetite for some sort of 30-minute show if the premise is intriguing, the IP is well known or if word of mouth is excellent. disney could have run the aladdin show until we're all 6 feet under because of that combo.

I'm almost never going to choose to watch a show over getting in line for another ride ... or just find a shady spot to have a beer, if I really need to take a load off. but there still seems to be a healthy appetite for some sort of 30-minute show if the premise is intriguing, the IP is well known or if word of mouth is excellent. disney could have run the aladdin show until we're all 6 feet under because of that combo.
We did the Aladdin show everytime we went to DCA until it was closed.

Reactions: Jake S
Festival of the Lion King is a solid 30-minute show. It's a high-quality show that people consistently line up for, and is a highlight for many.

There's still demand for high-quality 30-minute shows (anything above that is unnecessary), but Disney has the advantage of having enough quality IPs to base a show on.

Aladdin at DCA was 45-60 minutes of great quality entertainment. There's definitely demand out there, just a matter of choosing the right story/IP/scale.

Aladdin is closed, they shortened Nemo, shortened several nighttime shows, and this isn't even counting all the AA driven shows they shortened. Plus a shortened show puts more guests through. My ultimate point is the sub-20-minute show keeps guests and operations happy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Aladdin is closed, they shortened Nemo, shortened several nighttime shows, and this isn't even counting all the AA driven shows they shortened. Plus a shortened show puts more guests through. The ultimate point is the sub-20-minute show keeps guests and operations happy.

Aladdin was closed and replaced by Frozen which had a similar (if not longer) runtime than Aladdin, but was not well received because it didn't fit well.

We all know Nemo being shortened was a cost-cutting/operations effort. I'm not saying every show needs to be longer than 20 minutes, but every park needs at least one Broadway-caliber stage show. Fantasmic at DHS gained an additional 2-3 minutes.

The great thing about stage shows is that if you are not interested in doing them, you don't have to do it and it helps reduce demand for the rides you want to experience. Look at the effect Fantasmic has done on DHS since they brought it back up in November, wait-times are 15-20 minutes at most.

The amount of people that STAND through a 25-29 minute Fantasmic! or World Of Color show (length dependent on which version of WoC is showing) and the packed theater that DCA's Aladdin and Frozen played to at a clip of 45 and 55 minutes respectively tells me you're wrong (and Hyperion Theater is not small).

They just don't want to watch a crappy show.

The amount of people that STAND through a 25-29 minute Fantasmic! or World Of Color show (length dependent on which version of WoC is showing) and the packed theater that DCA's Aladdin and Frozen played to at a clip of 45 and 55 minutes respectively tells me you're wrong (and Hyperion Theater is not small).

Exactly!!!

Next time you're there turn around and watch the people walk out during the last half of these shows.

Reactions: ReelJustice
Next time you're there turn around and watch the people walk out during the last half of these shows.
That’s a weak straw man.

Was just in Disneyland seeing Fant! and WoC. I’m sure people left early but it was still PACKED when those shows ended right in those areas. Not a ton of people had up and left.

Also saw WaterWorld when it was about 60 degrees out. WaterWorld is a tad shorter coming in a bit over 20 mins I think, but again - packed theater and with the set up of the theater for that show, you’d notice if a large mass got up and left. It didn’t happen.

I’m sure the theater shows empty out a bit more at DCA but even still. A portion leaving is totally ignoring the VAST MAJORITY that stay.

That’s a weak straw man.

Was just in Disneyland seeing Fant! and WoC. I’m sure people left early but it was still PACKED when those shows ended right in those areas. Not a ton of people had up and left.

Also saw WaterWorld when it was about 60 degrees out. WaterWorld is a tad shorter coming in a bit over 20 mins I think, but again - packed theater and with the set up of the theater for that show, you’d notice if a large mass got up and left. It didn’t happen.

I’m sure the theater shows empty out a bit more but even still.

I know people who've walked out on these shows! I've seen them! In a world where there are ILL, LL, and dining reservations you can't wrap people up for an hour or more (show + wait + seating). And I LIKE these shows and enjoy long theatrical productions. But they just don't do well in theme parks anymore.

• Haha
Reactions: OrlandoGuy