Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Running Universal (Orlando)

I'm curious what the routes will be and how much of it will be spent in the parks and Citywalk.

I enjoy the runDisney events (despite how expensive they are) so it's nice to see some competition from my preferred parks.

To be honest though, the name is terrible. Mind as well call it the Corporate Mandated Adjective & Character Run. They should've had something specific like Jurassic Park (which the gates would make for a great starting or finishing line).

I'm curious what the routes will be and how much of it will be spent in the parks and Citywalk.

I enjoy the runDisney events (despite how expensive they are) so it's nice to see some competition from my preferred parks.

To be honest though, the name is terrible. Mind as well call it the Corporate Mandated Adjective & Character Run. They should've had something specific like Jurassic Park (which the gates would make for a great starting or finishing line).

I think that's the plan.

I received a survey from UO a few months back about this and on the survey it asked about various combinations of theming/M&G/price points/distances.

Making up these example combinations:
Would you do a Minions 5K with a M&G for $200?
Would you do a JP 10K with no M&G but a souvenir water bottle and shirt for $150?
Would you do a Scooby Doo 1/2 marathon with M&G for $250? How about $200? $150? If you'd pay $200 for this, would that change if we removed the M&G but added a free frozen yogurt?
etc.

/ I don't know what was decided from this and I have no insider knowledge.

I think that's the plan.

I received a survey from UO a few months back about this and on the survey it asked about various combinations of theming/M&G/price points/distances.

Making up these example combinations:
Would you do a Minions 5K with a M&G for $200?
Would you do a JP 10K with no M&G but a souvenir water bottle and shirt for $150?
Would you do a Scooby Doo 1/2 marathon with M&G for $250? How about $200? $150? If you'd pay $200 for this, would that change if we removed the M&G but added a free frozen yogurt?
etc.

/ I don't know what was decided from this and I have no insider knowledge.
I am amazed why people would spend an obscene amount of money for running. Can't you do that for free?

I am amazed why people would spend an obscene amount of money for running. Can't you do that for free?
Oh most definitely! I liked getting into running for that aspect since all you need is time, the space, and shoes.

I typically don't do a lot of race unless it's for something and somewhere I'd be inclined to go anyway, but the races to me are fun ways to focus my running efforts for the events and staying healthy. The medals are usually really cool and typically come with a shirt, etc.

But for Universal to aim for a $200 race they're gonna have to really add a lot of perks to it besides a meet and greet.

For comparison, Disney is having a Food & Wine festival 1/2 marathon in November for $205 that includes the race, meet and greets during and before the race, and the shirt, the medal, food (mini-care package type of thing) right after the race, $15 Disney gift card, and Epcot admission that night to celebrate from 5 PM to 1 AM, with 10 PM and after being just for runner and their guests who buy admission.

The admission really is a big value added to me because that's a night at the park with short lines and being able to eat my way around the showcase guilt free.

I think Universal has really iconic locales to run through but they can't price $5 less and deliver a fraction of the value, but yeah just do Scooby-Doo. That'll really get people. :thud:

Oh most definitely! I liked getting into running for that aspect since all you need is time, the space, and shoes.

I typically don't do a lot of race unless it's for something and somewhere I'd be inclined to go anyway, but the races to me are fun ways to focus my running efforts for the events and staying healthy. The medals are usually really cool and typically come with a shirt, etc.

But for Universal to aim for a $200 race they're gonna have to really add a lot of perks to it besides a meet and greet.

For comparison, Disney is having a Food & Wine festival 1/2 marathon in November for $205 that includes the race, meet and greets during and before the race, and the shirt, the medal, food (mini-care package type of thing) right after the race, $15 Disney gift card, and Epcot admission that night to celebrate from 5 PM to 1 AM, with 10 PM and after being just for runner and their guests who buy admission.

The admission really is a big value added to me because that's a night at the park with short lines and being able to eat my way around the showcase guilt free.

I think Universal has really iconic locales to run through but they can't price $5 less and deliver a fraction of the value, but yeah just do Scooby-Doo. That'll really get people. :thud:

Like I said, the examples I listed were made up but in the spirit of what was being surveyed. (combos of IPs/race lengths/prices/extra perks). None of the combos and numbers were really on the survey - I don't remember that level of detail!

I wouldn't want folks to get out their virtual pitchforks and storm Universal's corporate offices due to what some idiot (me) said on the internet...

They’re going to do it in order to compete with Disney. I think any offering they do would be on par and be a similar value especially for a new race you have to pull people in.

I think they’re smarter than being that barebones for a first event so no worries.

Next year I might look into entering a race, but I'd never pay that much, feels like a vanity thing more than a running thing.

Also, I have a question for people who have run races, how different does it feel from just running regular solo?

Last edited:
Next year I might look into entering a race, but I'd never pay that much, feels like a vanity thing more than a running thing.

Also, I have a question for people who have run races, how different does it feel from just running regular solo?

It's very much a vanity thing. It's more of an ego boost to decide you're going to do a race and then spend 4-5 months prepping for it just so you can earn a big ol' shiny piece of medal you already paid for. To me, though it's a fun thing to focus my healthy habits for.

The difference between running solo vs. runDisney/bigger structured running events is the energy. Running is perpetually fun for me because I know I'll never be the greatest runner, but every course, every time is a chance to do my best time. I'm competitive only against myself in that regard.

To the actual running the event, the difference for me is getting to do cool courses: runDisney you're up at 3 am but for the longer distances you're getting to run through 3 of their parks with everybody cheering each other on and being very supportive. It's a very feel-good situation to me.

Sorry for the rambling but I can keep going haha