SeaWorld Ends Orca Breeding | Page 4 | Inside Universal Forums

SeaWorld Ends Orca Breeding

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I believe they are referring to the artificial breeding. If the orcas are feeling it, then we may have another Baby Shamu.

Yeah this is how I took it also. I mean you can't stop them if they want to and since families stay together a male and female would be together.

Absolutely love Seaworld and have always defended them but I think this needed to happen for the future of the park. I also completely agree with posters above that they will find a way around this in the future.

Let's focus on the positives today though; they need a new angle which to me suggests more investment in great rides. What's always made Seaworld stand out to us was the great mixture of shows, rides and exhibits....so with major shows missing their new angle will have to be spectacular.

Did they announce Dolphins aren't being bred in captivity either?

Absolutely love Seaworld and have always defended them but I think this needed to happen for the future of the park. I also completely agree with posters above that they will find a way around this in the future.

Let's focus on the positives today though; they need a new angle which to me suggests more investment in great rides. What's always made Seaworld stand out to us was the great mixture of shows, rides and exhibits....so with major shows missing their new angle will have to be spectacular.

Did they announce Dolphins aren't being bred in captivity either?

Nope. No one cares about the dolphins. Mainly because many places have dolphins in captivity and breed them. I also think the size and how far dolphins travel in a day factors into this too.

Nope. No one cares about the dolphins. Mainly because many places have dolphins in captivity and breed them. I also think the size and how far dolphins travel in a day factors into this too.

Pleased at that as I completely adore the Dolphin show and don't think Seaworld could cope with the loss of both.

So I have been at work all day and not able to get online to reply. I see all of you are for this. I am in the minority. I have 600 Facebook friends all of them are SeaWorld fans. The overwhelming majority of comments on there are extremely negative. I would admit though that the majority of these facebook friends went to SeaWorld for the shows and animals not the rides. So I can see how this excites you ride people.

Further evidence of what will be happening was posted on HSUS Facebook page today where they commented that this is just the start that their are many more animals they want to "save" at SeaWorld and they are having dialogue with them now about that. So people, SeaWorld as you knew it today is over forever. Dolphins, Sea Lions, Beluga Whales etc. They are done. Just give it time.

SeaWorld is going to just become another park with rides. Nothing special. And Disney and Universal are far more superior and worth the visit.

Manby said today that they hope to increase attendance by 300K to 900K in the next 3 - 5 year. But at the cost of what! They have saddened their fan base, many pass members saying they are canceling passes etc. I visit every week and I know I am done.

Think in 40 years from now that poor orca who will be swimming along alone with no more pod mates. What a sad life for that one. That is if Seaworld is even here in 40 years. Never thought I would say that but they just made a huge mistake. Wonder what the new name will be. Its a sad day

I think how Mako does could be a big determiner for Sea World (or at least SWO)'s future. If Mako is a big hit, I could see them maybe focusing more on big coasters as a draw for Sea World. Maybe keeping the smaller educational stuff and aquariums (so basically everything except the orcas and stuff) to give a draw for families and schools, and adding in a few more huge, unique coasters as a draw for the older crowd. That's just my speculation though.

So I have been at work all day and not able to get online to reply. I see all of you are for this. I am in the minority. I have 600 Facebook friends all of them are SeaWorld fans. The overwhelming majority of comments on there are extremely negative. I would admit though that the majority of these facebook friends went to SeaWorld for the shows and animals not the rides. So I can see how this excites you ride people.

Further evidence of what will be happening was posted on HSUS Facebook page today where they commented that this is just the start that their are many more animals they want to "save" at SeaWorld and they are having dialogue with them now about that. So people, SeaWorld as you knew it today is over forever. Dolphins, Sea Lions, Beluga Whales etc. They are done. Just give it time.

SeaWorld is going to just become another park with rides. Nothing special. And Disney and Universal are far more superior and worth the visit.

Manby said today that they hope to increase attendance by 300K to 900K in the next 3 - 5 year. But at the cost of what! They have saddened their fan base, many pass members saying they are canceling passes etc. I visit every week and I know I am done.

Think in 40 years from now that poor orca who will be swimming along alone with no more pod mates. What a sad life for that one. That is if Seaworld is even here in 40 years. Never thought I would say that but they just made a huge mistake. Wonder what the new name will be. Its a sad day
Why would they need a new name? It's called SeaWorld, not WhaleWorld

That's because you and your 600 Facebook friends have united in a common goal of defending Seaworld, and this announcement feels like a defeat and that you have lost your battle. I think once the dust settles and you continue to visit Seaworld you will see that it's the same place you love, just evolving into something it possibly has to to survive.

Guys, please no personal attacks. This thread will be locked if we continue down this path.
Thank you. I was just posting an opinion and I am saddened by the movies they did. I didn't want to be attacked for opinions because I thought that's what we were here to talk about.

This is a controversial issue so I can understand the tenor being a little more testy than normal. I kind of consider myself a neutral observer since Sea World was never my thing, and not a park I have any desire to go to even today. I was really bored when I went to the Ohio Sea World a number of times, kind of forced by my then wife & mother in law. But I can understand why others like the park. But, lets take a look at the past a bit to see what's happening. Sea World's original incarnations were completely devoid of theme park type rides. But then, it seems like they reversed course & started adding themed attractions & coasters. And this helped increase their attendance, Then it seems they paused adding much at all. Now, they're back to adding coasters and perhaps themed rides. So really, Sea World's best avenue may be to go back to that hybrid theme park/sea animal park and increase their theme park attractions. I, for one, would actually consider going to Sea World if they would add a couple more themed dark ride attractions and start acting more like a theme park than an animal park.

Alright, I think people need a little perspective here. SeaWorld and SW P&E parks are far from dying off. They turn (very) healthy profits. Their business model is transitioning and has been since AB sold out to InBev and they sold off the parks. Under AB, it didn't matter how much of a profit the parks made (though they generally did well) they were there to create goodwill and promote the brand. They were a point of pride for the company and the Busch family. Now, they are an independent business unit that lives and dies on P&L statements and stock price so they have to work to make more profits and show continual growth for stock holders. It's just FACT of life at this point. Expect Disney to go the same way if their shareholders have their way...

The phase out of Orca shows, breeding and captivity was inevitable. It's just the way things have been going. This is a gradual phase out. SeaWorld will most likely have orcas for the next 20-30 years, probably consolidating them into a single park at some point as their numbers decrease. The shows are going away over time, not today or tomorrow, so anyone who still wants to experience "classic SeaWorld" can. People on both sides (pro SeaWorld or pro animal rights) are getting way too bent out of shape with this announcement.

Reactions: IzzyB
Stating my opinion, I'm saddened in some ways about this. Those ways are simply nostalgia driven. Going to Sea World and watching the Orcas perform is something I remember from early on. Now, I completely understand the move and I back the decision. It is amazing how much the views of the general populace has changed in my lifetime (30 years).

You guys aren't fans of SeaWorld because of their orca breeding. The entertainment shows maybe...but they just evolved into entertainment shows in the past decade. You previously went to SeaWorld and the "shows" were way more educational. Regardless, SeaWorld is not just a theme park. It's a zoological institution. It's habitats, just like attractions like at other theme parks, do need to evolve and keep up with the times. Especially when some of your fanbase, nevermind protesters, are calling for it too.

Reactions: upov