Seuss Landing - General Discussion | Page 3 | Inside Universal Forums

Seuss Landing - General Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Well.... the holiday season focuses on the live-action Jim Carrey Grinch. If they were were to build a ride/coaster, I would expect it to be modeled after the book/animated classic.

They do already have the original fuzzy character photo-op out in the land. So it wouldn't hinder the holiday season too much.

To clarify - I'm not saying it's improbable, just saying it takes the shine off; the same way the McRib is only special because McDonald's made it special with limited releases. I can totally see a scenario where they want to keep the Grinch as a special attraction strictly during the Holidays.

The Grinch is Grinch to the GP, they're not going to separate the two in the grand scheme of things; but being able to see him all the time on a larger scale - that matters, and a year-round Christmas ride/area is a bit different than a photo-op.

Do a Butter Side War stunt show.

Still bizarre to me that some of the (never used) extended-extended queue for High in the Sky Seuss Trolley Train ride at one point had Butter War propaganda affixed to the walls. The plaque explaining the story is still present, I believe…

I forgot about the main entrance arch being half disassembled. Can we really not get that fixed?

Reactions: Coolbfitz
I'm hearing the entrance to Seuss Landing (broken for around 3 years and counting) is "a test" to see how long the company can ignore something before repairing it.

It's also possible guest surveys show people dislike entrances and Universal decided removing half of the entrance (thereby making a worse entrance) helps the problem in the same way removing 3D from all screen-based rides (thereby making worse screens) somehow fixes that problem as well. Universal Operations Logic. :clown::clown::clown::clown::clown:

• Haha
Reactions: TylerG and IzzyB
I'm hearing the entrance to Seuss Landing (broken for around 3 years and counting) is "a test" to see how long the company can ignore something before repairing it.

It's also possible guest surveys show people dislike entrances and Universal decided removing half of the entrance (thereby making a worse entrance) helps the problem in the same way removing 3D from all screen-based rides (thereby making worse screens) somehow fixes that problem as well. Universal Operations Logic. :clown::clown::clown::clown::clown:
You gotta chill with this hyperbole…

I don't think Cat in the Hat -- even without spinning -- is boring at all. The sets and coloration are stylized in a way meant to evoke the artwork on the page, which would sometimes have individual figures of emphasis against a more stark background. It works great for me!
We rode it five times last week. Best it's looked in years. Most everything seemed to be in good working order. Sometimes it's nice to ride an attraction that's easy going and laid back. Not everything needs to be high thrill. Differentiation makes a theme park better.

I honestly think Seuss Landing is really underrated and well-themed. I love all the Suessian architecture, how everything fits the palette and forms a curve or wave shape. It's got so many little details and areas that make it feel very filled out. The little Lorax garden, McElligot's Pool out front with the waterfall, Horton on top of the spiraling Caroseussel roof, the tiny door in that one shop. If I Ran the Zoo is a wonderful play area for the little ones, and the Trolley is a nice Peoplemover as well.

Cat needs some work. Some light spinning could help it create some energy during the more blank portions and some general love to the effects is needed. The animatronics are weird and goopy looking, the CG screen is hilariously bad, and there's just not a lot of that modern Universal polish anywhere to be found here. Despite that, I think the bones are solid and I think with some plussing like E.T's been getting recently, I think it could be a really wonderful dark ride. I do like this one quite a bit, even with all of the flaws.

Generally across the land, I think there is a feeling of...lack of upkeep, I guess is what I'm leaning towards? There are quite a few sections, especially areas on the outskirts of the land that don't get utilized by Uni themselves or walked through by guests very often, that feel dried out, grimey, and overall not well polished. The area behind the Hat Cat shop with Gertrude's egg is always covered in dirt and tree leaves, and there is a big wide area towards the back behind Cat and Fish that feels like it hasn't been powerwashed since the 2000s. Feels like an area that could force Disney's hand if it was within MSHI, it's that bad imo.

I think the biggest offenders for me with that lack of upkeep are the Seuss character costumes. They are built pretty okay, definitely built in a 2000s Universal-y way, but they work fine for what they need to do. But they always look so dirty. It's a bit hard to see in photos, but in person, I've repeatedly noticed the Cat and Thing 1+2 masks look visibly aged, yellowed, and darkened. There's an extent where I could believe that the darkened white on the fabric could be intentional and for theming, the Dr. Seuss books have a very iconic style of shading, so maybe the costumers are emulating that? No, in my opinion, it simply looks like they've just not replaced the heads for a very long time and it's really starting to show.

d5b6bce7fa36ffd12acb878dbbfaf268.jpg

In conclusion, Seuss Landing is a land of contrasts. Definitely needs some major upgrading, but the bones are really solid and I'd love to see it reach it's full modern Universal potential.

I honestly think Seuss Landing is really underrated and well-themed. I love all the Suessian architecture, how everything fits the palette and forms a curve or wave shape. It's got so many little details and areas that make it feel very filled out. The little Lorax garden, McElligot's Pool out front with the waterfall, Horton on top of the spiraling Caroseussel roof, the tiny door in that one shop. If I Ran the Zoo is a wonderful play area for the little ones, and the Trolley is a nice Peoplemover as well.
I used to not be a big fan of Seuss Landing, but it has grown on me over the last 5-6 years. It has grown on me enough that it's my second favorite Island, with Lost Continent being my number one.