Shanghai Disneyland | Page 4 | Inside Universal Forums

Shanghai Disneyland

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
^ yeah, when I saw the video yesterday, I was quite awed by the size of the castle. After sleeping on it, I have concluded that it is just too big, too much. Again, it is as if the Chinese said, you can build your Disneyrand, but no USA and our castle must be the largest castle ever built in any park, anywhere. If they built it any more over the top they would have the Burj Khalifa!

No MSUSA, no Frontierland.

I'd have to agree for the most part. The park enters into Fantasyland.

On top of that, most of the concepts aren't all that interesting, IMO.

I was quite awed by the size of the castle. After sleeping on it, I have concluded that it is just too big, too much. Again, it is as if the Chinese said, you can build your Disneyrand, but no USA and our castle must be the largest castle ever built in any park, anywhere. If they built it any more over the top they would have the Burj Khalifa!
Again, I don't think what they are planning now has anything to do with orders and restrictions from the Chinese government. Disney is probably just trying something new for this park, ya know, give a new Disney park a bit more originality for this time around.

Disneyrand
tumblr_lq6s7bPQHR1qz8zad.gif

Last edited:
Oh... yeah, duh... I must have confused countries. China is non-conformist; anything goes, and The Netherlands is ultra-conformist; our way or the highway. Sorry.
I don't think that's the main and only reason for this, as I've said before....

Disney is probably just trying something new for this park, ya know, give a new Disney park a bit more originality for this time around.

From Screamscape:
(5/21/12) Remember that last rumor about the all new version of Pirates of the Caribbean being planned for Shanghai Disneyland? You know… the one where they would use of magnetic LIMs underwater to not only control the speed of the boats, but give them the ability to make the boats move backwards as if pushed by an otherworldly force?
Well, that rumor just took another big step towards reality this week, with the discovery of a new Disney technology patent filed just last year for an “Amusement Park Ride With Underwater-Controlled Boats”. According to the patent, the technology would allow for “a boat ride with precise speed and orientation control.” The technology gets even more interesting than I had imagined, as describes the boats having two independent bogies (front and back) that are “operable to independently propel, with linear motors, the front and rear bogies at the same or differing first and second velocities by applying a magnetic force to reaction plates on the bogies. The track assembly includes a joined section and a divided section, which includes a primary track on which the front bogie travels and a secondary track, spaced apart from the primary track, on which the rear bogie travels. The boat may be rotated to any orientation in the divided track section.”
Translation: Not only can the boats move forward and back, but the back of the boat will be on a second “track”, allowing for the back to speed up faster than the front, thus spinning the boat AROUND. Even better… the patent exposes another interesting use for this technology on the 4th page where it shows the boat turning sideways to rotate around a central “show scene” like the hands on a clock. If this looks familiar, this very same concept was used in a few rides at Epcot, such as the original Journey Into Imagination dark ride (where you were introduced to Dreamfinder) and is still in use today at the summit of Spaceship Earth where all the cars rotate to view the projection on the domed ceiling.
This actually ties into another common and generally assumed fact… that this new version of Pirates will be themed entirely to the film series and not themed around the concepts and scenes from the previous rides. The Chinese culture was not raised over the last few decades to have a general knowledge of what to expect from Disney’s Pirates of the Caribbean rides, but is aware of the new feature film series. This brings to light another popular rumor claiming that this new version of the ride may heavily favor projection based show scenes rather than rely on animatronics. After all, why spend the money to make a Captain Jack animatronic figure try to lip sync to a soundtrack when you can just film Johnny Depp himself performing as Captain Jack?
While this new concept is not the same as the more action oriented flume ride version envisioned for Hong Kong Disneyland, I’m hearing that they may opt to keep the same iconic finale scene, which would involve an outdoor Splash Mountain style plunge, with the boats exiting out of the mouth of “Skull Rock” and plunging down through the wreckage of a doomed pirate ship impaled upon the rocky shoreline (standing in for the same visual effect as the Briar Patch on Splash Mountain.) Sounds wonderful, doesn’t it? Now how can we get one of these here in the US somehow?

Wow. Talk about re-inventing the wheel. It's about time they took a step forward with their boat rides. This sounds like it could be pretty impressive.

My sister used to work in Shanghai and is extremely excited about this. She is currently working in England til next month and then heads to Budapest. Once she is done there she wants to return to Shanghai once again. She would love to work there one day.

Looks lovely. Interesting that they're keeping the Adventureland Rivers of America style layout from HKDL and not a full featured Frontierland.

From Screamscape

(11/26/12) Disney and More has some interesting thoughts about how the new Legend of Captain Jack Sparrow attraction at the Studios may have links to the future new Pirates ride destined for Shanghai Disneyland. We’ve already discussed the permits found for the new unique ride hardware that seems to be for this new Shanghai attraction, but this takes a bit deeper into how this ride may handle the various show scenes, which were said to rely more on projected effects and have very few animatronic figures.

Meanwhile Luke & the Temple of Fun have also posted some new Shanghai developments, as layout plans showing off the Shopping / Dining Area next to the park (another Downtown Disney I suppose) have surfaced.

Screamscape posted a link to a Disney and More article in which they believe the not so subtle aesthetic similarities between Test Track 2.0 and the production design of Tron was intentionally done to try out the concept for Shanghai's Tron ride.

(12/4/12) Disney and More mentioned in their update on Test Track, what I had been thinking, but decided not to say last night. Much like now the new Legend of Captain Jack Sparrow attraction at the Hollywood Studios park is seen as lifesized “Proof of Concept” for some new technology intended for the Pirates ride going into Shanghai Disneyland, the obvious Tron inspired comparisons with the new version of Test Track is also very likely to be intentional. Think of it as a giant sandbox experiment for Disney Imagineers to test out just the right way to take park guests into the world of Tron, which is the themed of a rumored Tron Light Cycle coaster heading to Shanghai Disneyland in place of a Space Mountain. Given the videos I’ve seen so far, I think they’ve managed to capture the look of Tron perfectly within Test Track.

yeeup. I have a feeling there will be a lot more Musion and projection mapping to the POTC ride in Shanghai. Sparrow as Musion rather than an Animatronic. I would not even put passed the thought of them getting a lot of that recording work for the musion done when they were recording the material for the legend of jack sparrow 'attraction' at DHS

As much as I tire of potc movie tie ins with the parks, the thought of what could be done with boats and LIMs is very cool. At least one of Disney's resorts is building new rides.

Really interesting documentation HERE of the castle construction, drawings, CAD Renderings and the such.

Any guesses as to what the $800 million for additional attractions in Shanghai is going to be? Apparently, it's not to cover going overbudget - we're extra in addition to what's planned.

Guesses -
Star Wars Land
Frozen E-ticket in Fantasyland
Avengers/Iron Man attraction in Tomorrowland
Cars Land
Pandora

I see either Frozen/Avengers plus one land. Frozen + Avengers + Star Wars would be perfect, but I doubt Disney would give all three at once :lol:

Any guesses as to what the $800 million for additional attractions in Shanghai is going to be? Apparently, it's not to cover going overbudget - we're extra in addition to what's planned.

Guesses -
Star Wars Land
Frozen E-ticket in Fantasyland
Avengers/Iron Man attraction in Tomorrowland
Cars Land
Pandora

I see either Frozen/Avengers plus one land. Frozen + Avengers + Star Wars would be perfect, but I doubt Disney would give all three at once :lol:

Seeing how its Disney and how they spend their money . . . . an additional bathroom :lol:

I see this in the second park, not the first one. The second park would kill it if they had star wars, pandora, marvel. thats the true mystical 5th gate we all desire. Sucks they are making an iron man ride utilizing star tours tech in HK.