Shanghai Disneyland | Page 9 | Inside Universal Forums

Shanghai Disneyland

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Well, sorry for not being serious about it. In all honesty; i'm more disappointed about this occurring, as it shows possible poor planning on disneys part. That being said, as I hope for the best; I am eagerly preparing for the worst in this situation.

I can only blame Disney for going into China. There's not much they can do concerning planning. Most of it is out of their control. Universal is going to run into the same problems. These business executives need to study China's history and their government better instead of being so wide eyed over the number of people in their market.

Reactions: IAmFloridaBorn
I can only blame Disney for going into China. There's not much they can do concerning planning. Most of it is out of their control. Universal is going to run into the same problems. These business executives need to study China's history and their government better instead of being so wide eyed over the number of people in their market.
And Disney is already in China in Hong Kong... which SHDL may very well take visitors away from.

Reactions: Mad Dog
And Disney is already in China in Hong Kong... which SHDL may very well take visitors away from.
Another big mistake, no attendance park. Just think how many WDW expansions we could have had if they stayed out of China, even semi-China Hong Kong (which still has a strange mix of the remnants of their western capitalist govt. but overseen by their corrupt nepotistic totalitarian Central Government).

There's a couple of recent pictures on WDW's last Spirit ten thread. There's no way that whole park will be open in June. It's going to be bits and pieces for a good while. Much of it looks about the same shape as Volcano Bay.

There is a huge difference between Disney and Universal involvement with China.

Disney isn't "loved" in China like in America and other areas whereas Viacom/Universal have so many stragetic alliances already in place with many companies. (China has Nickelodeon whereas China won't allow a disney channel). Universal is already partnered with a lot of the big businesses and Wanda Group just bought out Legendary (you know the guys with a 5 year film deal with Universal and coproduced Jurassic World/Straight out of Compton). That makes them the most powerful entertainment company in China with owning AMC theatres and Australia's Hoyt theatres. Therefore most of the IPs being used in China are shared properties as a Chinese owed company which they will want even more success.

Disney was just the worst company to try to work in China as they have the smallest media presence of all the companies and the people have no connection with Disney films.

Also all of Universal's major films next year were also have partnerships with all of Chinese biggest companies (Alibaba, Tencent, Weibo) for promotion and marketing pre the announcement of a theme park so I think Universal was a bit more prepared than Disney.

Last edited:
There's a couple of recent pictures on WDW's last Spirit ten thread. There's no way that whole park will be open in June. It's going to be bits and pieces for a good while. Much of it looks about the same shape as Volcano Bay.
I believe recent inside rumblings have said the park will open with about only 10 attractions and others will trickle open as they finish.

I do wonder how this will affect the Soarin’ Around the World openings in the states seeing as Shanghai is supposed to have the rights to open the ride first.

There is a huge difference between Disney and Universal involvement with China.

Disney isn't "loved" in China like in America and other areas whereas Viacom/Universal have so many stragetic alliances already in place with many companies. (China has Nickelodeon whereas China won't allow a disney channel). Universal is already partnered with a lot of the big businesses and Wanda Group just bought out Legendary (you know the guys with a 5 year film deal with Universal and coproduced Jurassic World/Straight out of Compton). That makes them the most powerful entertainment company in China with owning AMC theatres and Australia's Hoyt theatres. Therefore most of the IPs being used in China are shared properties as a Chinese owed company which they will want even more success.

Disney was just the worst company to try to work in China as they have the smallest media presence of all the companies and the people have no connection with Disney films.

Also all of Universal's major films next year were also have partnerships with all of Chinese biggest companies (Alibaba, Tencent, Weibo) for promotion and marketing pre the announcement of a theme park so I think Universal was a bit more prepared than Disney.
You make some good credible points. Universal is in a better strategic marketing position than Disney. The choice of Beijing as a location though may be a bit problematic, what with the cold weather season and major air quality problem. Reminds me of the Paris cold season problems, only they have air you can breathe at least. Very good points on marketing though. :)

I do wonder how this will affect the Soarin’ Around the World openings in the states seeing as Shanghai is supposed to have the rights to open the ride first.
They should have Soarin hand gliding through Beijing. They could use the Terminator fog system to show Beijing, or what you hope is Beijing from above. :lol:

For those interested, this is what SDL currently looks like... Let it be known that I really dislike the look of the Castle.
Shanghai-Disneyland-800x400.jpg

Alright..this is the official attraction list, with the map..

upload_2016-1-12_19-34-9.png

Fantasyland:
Hunny Pot Spin (Spinner)
The Many Adventure of Winnie The Pooh (Its official, and..we know nothing on if there'll be changes
Peter Pans Flight
Alice in Wonderland Maze (based on the 2010/2016 adpatations)
7DMT
Enchanted Storybook Castle
Once Upon a Time Adventure

Adventure Isle:
Camp Discovery
Roaring Rapids
Soarin Over The Horizon

Treasure Cove:
POTC - Battle for the Sunken Treasure
Explorer Canoes
Sirens Revenge

Tommorowland:
Tron
Launch Bay
Marvel Universe
Stitch Encounter
Buzz Lightyear - Planet Rescue

Gardens:
Dumbo
Fantasia Carousel

I have to imagine a future expansion for this park that we'll see not underway not too long after opening will be SWL.

Hong Kong still is fiercely independent and different than mainland China. That's the issue with construction, bribery, pollution, and more. It's really, really different.

Also, Disney has reported the "expansion" attractions will not open with the park.... yet all the attractions listed have been announced before? I'm starting to think this expansion was a cash infusion just to get the park open on time and with a decent sized attraction roster.