Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Should Universal Parks be more Nostalgic?

Yes, but that "Synergy" strategy sure fell flat when they pushed to open sub par F&F attractions in Hollywood & Orlando instead of taking their time and putting a good attraction out there, something that UC actually wanted to do. ...But I do agree they will be using those new classics, but the Universal/NBC executives may be listening to UC's advice now, and avoiding putting junk out there just to coincide with a movie opening in the year or two window. Synergy only works when 'quality' new attractions coincide with the movie IP's.

I think that's debatable. USF has certainly seen dramatic change over the last decade, but I don't think it's been particularly for the better. And not because individual attractions aren't good, but because so many of them are so similar, either to each other or to better rides in IOA.

For me, USF still needs a lot of work to get it up to IOA's level. Nintendo would have dramatically helped in one fell swoop, but that's apparently off the table now.
Comcast has only been on the scene for a short time...Not everything will be a hit....I also feel UC has gone through a bit of a restructuring itself...I see more of Mike West, for instance, than I do of Woodbury or Coup

I think that's debatable. USF has certainly seen dramatic change over the last decade, but I don't think it's been particularly for the better. And not because individual attractions aren't good, but because so many of them are so similar, either to each other or to better rides in IOA.

USF is better in the last decade, I think no questions asked. But DHS has changed a ton too, and I think in the end it'll be for the better, also.

USF is better in the last decade, I think no questions asked. But DHS has changed a ton too, and I think in the end it'll be for the better, also.

I guess it all comes down to personal taste.

Purely in terms of placemaking and theme work, certainly Diagon Alley and Springfield are huge upgrades over what was there, but I think the USF of 10+ years ago had a much better variety of attraction types than are in play right now, and that's a huge factor for me. 2018's USF just feels awash in a sea of simulators and Spider-Man riffs.

But I don't want to turn this into another SCREENZ thread!

I guess it all comes down to personal taste.

Purely in terms of placemaking and theme work, certainly Diagon Alley and Springfield are huge upgrades over what was there, but I think the USF of 10+ years ago had a much better variety of attraction types than are in play right now, and that's a huge factor for me. 2018's USF just feels awash in a sea of simulators and Spider-Man riffs.

But I don't want to turn this into another SCREENZ thread!
Funny, I thought Kong and JAWS were wildly similar the first time I went to Universal (which they were)...This is not to say we have don't have an issue today with simulators, because we do...I just find it interesting

IOA has always felt more fleshed out to me...Even without Kong and Potter

Funny, I thought Kong and JAWS were wildly similar the first time I went to Universal (which they were)...This is not to say we have don't have an issue today with simulators, because we do...I just find it interesting

To the extent that Jaws and Kongfrontation both involved spieling and large animatronics, there was a similarity, yes.

I would argue, however, that they were much more distinct from each other than Minion Mayhem, Race Through New York, and Simpsons are from each other, and more than Transformers and Gringotts are from Spider-Man.

Being on the water has a totally different energy than being suspended from above. One was outdoors, the other was indoors (although doing an "interior for exterior" thing). One was nautical in nature, the other was urban.

I can’t help but feel Ghostbusters is eventually what replaces Mummy. Considering the possible/rumored ride system for Newt’s Coaster at EU, it’s almost TOO obvious to make into a Ghostbusters attraction too

Ghostbusters is pretty much the only (even semi-plausible) property that I'd be okay losing Revenge of the Mummy for. I fear that would also probably mean MIB would be on the way out, too, and I don't know if I could handle losing both Mummy and MIB in close proximity (or at all!).

I’d love to see GB replace RotM and return NY to its theme. Mummy makes the most sense to replace once EU opens since it’ll have presence there.

MIB will be demo’d for something new since the ride system is beyond outdated. Plus, I dont think it’ll be for MoM - that’ll be the FF amphitheater, and Universal has invested in the infrastructure between the two for HHN. So connecting WWoHP all the way to MIB won’t work.

Jaws needs a better presence in USF. That movie changed the entire film industry forever, and is one of Universal’s biggest hits and merch sellers, and all we have now is a hanging fish. Mini lagoon show with a Bruce is a no brainer. So is the Universal’s Classic Movie ride concept where you ride through movie scenes in a Deloreon.

Nostalgia for the classics is why I love Disney Parks so much more than Universal. I used to always be a Uni die hard until the last several years. Now I’ll only go for HHN, but I’ll hit up Disney anytime.

Going back to the original topic of this thread- I think the only opening day Universal attraction that shouldn't have closed was The Art of Making Movies. Looked like a timeless and beautiful attraction that could've been updated throughout the years.

I can’t help but feel Ghostbusters is eventually what replaces Mummy. Considering the possible/rumored ride system for Newt’s Coaster at EU, it’s almost TOO obvious to make into a Ghostbusters attraction too
It’s a bad idea to close Mummy and MIB, they’re amazing rides.