Shrek 4D - Hollywood | Page 8 | Inside Universal Forums

Shrek 4D - Hollywood

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
So, show of hands? Despite everyone here basically agreeing that Shrek 4D is not that great of a theme park attraction, who here DOES own the DVD of it (that comes in that horrible blue/red 3D and 2D)? I couldn't help but seek out, because really, how often does ANY theme park release an ENTIRE attraction on video (apart from Universal going even further with it's Back To The Future The Ride DVD/BLU release)? I also actually thought it was a cute mini-sequel to the first film (bringing back John Lithgow's Farquad as a ghost was a nice touch, I thought), and find it odd that despite it's stand-alone release (is it still in print?), it has not been put on as a bonus feature (as far as I know) on any of the BluRays. It could use an update on that format for the newer 3D TVs. I will say, though, that because I actually own this, it definitely makes me NEVER have any desire to go on the actual attraction at USH unless I am with someone who wants to or has never seen it. Granted, the DVD doesn't include any of the pre-show, but it wasn't all too great anyway.

But yeah, who actually does own the DVD of this? And do you own it for completeness sake, or because you actually like it? It's a bit of both for me. Oddly enough, I do not own any of the other Shrek films! One day I'll get that set of them when it's cheap (even though I only like the first two, and the Puss 'N Boots spinoff film).

Reactions: BruceTheShark
I'm fairly sure DreamWorks has made it a point to milk every single bit of possible cash from that franchise. Even the freaking Broadway musical is now on DVD!

^ Agreed I'm hopping after harry potter we get a new ride that is not a simulator or 3d. I feel as if were 10 years away from every ride being a simulator. Yikes.... We need more rides like jurrasic park, and mummy (even though our mummy version is far from perfect) It still nice to have some physical thrills instead of visual thrills.  Maybe another indoor coaster would be nice. 

I'm not going to lie,  January 18th 2014  was my first time EVER to Universal Hollywood (We moved to California 2 years ago), We skipped Shrek the first time and I can see why now, visiting the second time  a few weeks ago and I wish I could take that 45 mins of my life back (had 30 min wait) I had very low hopes for this ride before going on, So the ride could have  easily impressed me, but sadly it did not. The D-BOX Seats at Movie theaters are way better technology than whats in this theater, and I can just goto a movie that and get that vastly superior experience.....Even Muppets 3d at Disney is a better experience than what shrieks offers and that attraction was opened around the same time. I am just shocked its lasted this long.  So if it looks like this to me a new guest of the park, I can only imagine how bad this attraction will look to new visitors who come to see the place once harry potter opens. 

The only two things preventing them from demolishing this thing tomorrow is prob the lack of children attractions currently and the fact they might have a agreement to abide with Viacom to have the attraction the X amount of years, really hope to see something new in the next few years. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Yikes, you've missed out on a lot of great attractions. In my opinion, better made attractions. The audience in Shrek today actually was laughing and seemed like they enjoyed the show, so something must be clicking with the younger audiences. 

Yikes, you've missed out on a lot of great attractions. In my opinion, better made attractions. The audience in Shrek today actually was laughing and seemed like they enjoyed the show, so something must be clicking with the younger audiences. 
I know it really sucks, because Back to the Future and Terminator are two of my favorite movies.  I've done everything at Universal Hollywood now twice now, The current situation reminds me of the first time I went to Disney California Adventure (2011) It was construction wall central, they had characters out everywhere, and side shows going on to distract people.  When it was all said and done at DCA, the place was Vastly different. Some things for the better, some not. So I'm prepared to re-expirence Universal once the walls comes down.  Wish I knew what it was like before :(

And you right I know in the podcast it was mentioned how Universal seems to be gearing towards those family audience now, and allot of what Ive been seeing in the parks lately is those younger family audiences. It most likely where the money is. I don't blame them just hope they keep some interesting things coming for us older folks. 

Last edited by a moderator:
They will continue to build rides for the older guests. Forbidden Journey for example is not exactly a kid friendly ride.

That said, this park desperately needs a dark ride aimed at family's and with little or no hight requirement. I think something along the lines of Spaghetti Space Chase would be a huge hit for this park.

Reactions: BruceTheShark
Looks like those queue modifications that the editors were talking about are finally coming to fruition.

I never actually knew exactly what the queue modifs were, but I didn't expect them to be this extensive. They seem to be just completely rerouting the queue.

IMO, it could've been easier getting rid of NY Street and funneling them through the door by the employee gate, but I have a feeling nobody here wants that haha.

Still... all this for freaking Shrek. What a waste.

Definitely feels like a waste, but hopefully this is only temporary permanent, as Jon once said. Afterall, it's inevitable that they reroute the entrance and queue if they're gonna keep it even for 5 more years. Can't be the sloppy mess it currently is...

But USH really needs a good dark ride.

Funny enough, Shrek can be REALLY improved if they switch out the current "back and forth" seats for D-BOX seats, which have a wider range of motions. That would improve Shrek SO much. Obviously demoing it would be ideal, but does everyone agree that seats with a higher range of motion would greatly improve the show?