Shrek 4D - Hollywood | Page 28 | Inside Universal Forums

Shrek 4D - Hollywood

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
One of the main criticisms of the park is an over reliance on screens, and not enough practical effects. With the changes in the Shrek preshow, they cut back on the time spent looking at screens and added the donkey practical effect. This is a change I think most people would want.

Normally I'd 100% agree, but if it's at the cost of effing up the story and adds a plot hole, I'm not a fan. Besides, what was wrong with meeting Donkey outside? I would've rather had Donkey stay outside, and maybe introduce another live character as a puppet in the preshow, such as Puss in Boots, or someone else (even if they weren't introduced until after Shrek 4D timeline wise). At least then it wouldn't ruin the story. Sorry, I just have an issue when movies &/or attractions create such big plot holes, etc.

Just like Jon said story never made sense before the change. Dungeon to nice theater was weird. So adding Donkey to preshow is fine. After seeing it in person and how much the guests enjoyed it, makes it a smart move on Universal's part.

......and as I said, Dungeon to Theatre was explained...."Felonious! Prepare the auditorium!" says Farquad. He has a castle, makes sense that he has a theatre. And at least it's explained IN the attraction! Obviously some sense of disbelief and suspension of reality has to be applied to the attraction, but the addition of Donkey, (besides being received well), is still dumb and makes no sense at all.

It's still a dumb move, in my opinion, considering if Donkey is popular with guests, he can meet them outside in his cart as he's been doing for 10 years or so...

Easy fix. Toward the end of the preshow just have Dragon break Donkey out from the back of his cell. This can be done with sound, lighting and smoke effects plus a little dialog from Donkey. (You never actually have to see Dragon.) And during the escape, a brick from his broken cell falls and hits him on the head and he forgets everything! Problem solved. :D

Easy fix. Toward the end of the preshow just have Dragon break Donkey out from the back of his cell. This can be done with sound, lighting and smoke effects plus a little dialog from Donkey. (You never actually have to see Dragon.) And during the escape, a brick from his broken cell falls and hits him on the head and he forgets everything! Problem solved. :D
You and I should be working at Universal Creative, buddy....lol

......and as I said, Dungeon to Theatre was explained...."Felonious! Prepare the auditorium!" says Farquad. He has a castle, makes sense that he has a theatre. And at least it's explained IN the attraction! Obviously some sense of disbelief and suspension of reality has to be applied to the attraction, but the addition of Donkey, (besides being received well), is still dumb and makes no sense at all.
So how are we transported from the auditorium to Shrek's carriage? You can't selectively pick and choose different thematic elements to pick on.

The attraction has never held a strong plot, and I doubt most people will notice or even care.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree the whole "plot change" argument is moot, as the attraction never fully made sense. It was never explained how Gingy got from the dungeon/torture chamber to decorating his house in the forest, but it happens. Same goes for Pinocchio and the three pigs.

The show is just straight up more interesting to me with a live person playing Donkey in there. Really the show has never made much sense to begin with and adding Donkey doesn't kill the plot for me in any way. The characters break the forth wall on a regular basis... Kinda destroys immersion right out of the gate. Not worried about Donkey.

Side note: I think it's funny that the Star Wars joke has been removed. Probably just a coincidence that Star Wars is coming back near the same time the joke goes away. How much longer do you guys think they will be selling Star Wars stuff in Production Central?

Last edited by a moderator:
I watched the video the other day and I think they're restraining Donkey. The new spaces to add Donkey dialogue are awkward at best and overall the pre-show right now seems almost hilariously misbegotten. Ironically it's not the new addition of Donkey, it's the almost-obligatory (from every point-of-view) intrusion of the pre-show itself. If they allow Donkey to riff on it instead of pander to it, this could really work.

The pre-show was near T2-levels of dated, and now it's only halfway there.

And could they get rid of the once-funny but now puzzling DCA swipe on the signage there already?

What's going in in this little area near the queue?

Shrek_080715_1.jpg