Six Flags Magic Mountain | Page 78 | Inside Universal Forums

Six Flags Magic Mountain

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
The park added a new photo-op today...
XAFqyRz.jpg

Also the main entrance/queue for Roaring Rapids was back in action. Still no Tidal Wave yet though. Drop of Doom hasn't reopened, BUT it did finally do some testing today. So if all goes well, it should be operating again tomorrow.

Here's the old school DC themed ride shirts I mentioned a few posts back. They're available on a rack in the Emporium, but the Looney Tunes Super Store next to the park exit also has a small stock of them too in the far back left corner.
1QMQuI0.jpg

^While I do love this shirt because it has all the pre-Justice League big rides on it. My issue is "Fear The Five", but only 2 of the rides are villain based. My point? I want 3 new DC villain themed rides to have a proper "Fear The Five" shirt haha...

1ja7coK.jpg
OCp7okQ.jpg

QGTMNtK.jpg
kUB2stM.jpg

^while I don't care for the "ride stats", I do believe the park really needs to invest more on actual ride merchandise. It really is a shame how they don't tap the ride merch market like other parks.

Ride specific merch doesn't sell, only a very small % of people will buy them.

Ride specific merch doesn't sell, only a very small % of people will buy them.
Not true actually. Of course the problem Magic Mountain has is that any merch that does sell, they refuse to order more stock of it. But to say ride specific merch doesn't sell in a park like six flags is asinine. It only doesn't sell if its got a crappy design, its not offered at all or in Magic Mountain's case- it isn't blatantly available to park guests.

Goliath & X2 both have a tshirt available, BUT its only found at their photo-pass booth when exiting the ride. So most guests won't even notice. Neither shirt is available in the main Emporium giftshop.

Went to the park yesterday!

Scream, Full Throttle, and X2 were all operating with a single train... all day. This absolutely destroyed capacity for the latter two and made riding them nigh impossible. There was a two hour wait for X2 at close. Absolutely unacceptable.

All other rides were running at least one other train and kept lines moving. Ninja saw higher crowds than usual thanks to the main path past Tatsu to Apocalypse being closed for construction/resurfacing - this forces guests to take the steps to Samurai Summit and are fed right into Ninja's entrance. Based on views from that ride, they're resurfacing that entire swath of the park... but no clear vertical construction for West Coast yet.

Props to the Tatsu team for making a very in-demand ride manageable. Was able to board within 20 minutes despite the lower queue being mostly full.

First time riding Justice League - and I really dug the actual ride experience! The projectors were mostly fine but I really dug how responsive the gameplay was. The animatronic Joker, Harley, and goons were pretty impressive, and I wasn't expecting the neat practical fire effect! Overall, a very solid effort. Would love for a similar class of ride to take up residence in the Looney Tunes area to help flesh out the park's offerings.

Superman was operating, and at a good clip. Hadn't been on in a long time and really liked it. Lex Luthor was closed at the beginning of the day but opened by mid-day, though I didn't ride. Crazanity was a very rock solid pendulum spinner, but I was confused why they didn't just theme it to Harley Quinn since it's already between the two DC-centric areas.

^ Thank you for that report. Yes, there is no excuse for the park to be running one train on ANYTHING going into Spring Break. Their maintenance team is so understaffed and their schedules so effed up because Six Flags refuses spend the money it takes to keep their attractions running as they should. They're better than they used to be, but still terrible.

Reactions: Wesker69 and Clive
I don’t know why the park doesn’t get that third Tatsu train running for spring and summer. Three trains and the two stations they’ve been using lately would mean lightning fast operations.

Scream, Full Throttle, and X2 were all operating with a single train... all day. This absolutely destroyed capacity for the latter two and made riding them nigh impossible. There was a two hour wait for X2 at close. Absolutely unacceptable. All other rides were running at least one other train and kept lines moving.

Props to the Tatsu team for making a very in-demand ride manageable. Was able to board within 20 minutes despite the lower queue being mostly full.
I don’t know why the park doesn’t get that third Tatsu train running for spring and summer. Three trains and the two stations they’ve been using lately would mean lightning fast operations.
I didn't check, but I'm sure Goliath was also operating with one train still as well. But that is one of the biggest problems that Magic Mountain has when it comes to their operations. They'd rather cut down on operational costs by running only one train even it means lines being 30mins-an hour++. The hilarious irony to this is, I've seen them run two trains on a lot of the more popular coasters when the park is less busy :thud: Tatsu (as well as other coasters that are designed to operate with up to 3 trains) really do need to be using all 3 to help with crowds & waittimes. Even with two trains, Ninja hit a 90min wait yesterday.

You can complain & whine about how unacceptable their operations are done, but it doesn't mean a damn thing if you don't give the negative feedback to the survey takers and/or guest services. :deadhorse:

First time riding Justice League - and I really dug the actual ride experience! The projectors were mostly fine but I really dug how responsive the gameplay was. The animatronic Joker, Harley, and goons were pretty impressive, and I wasn't expecting the neat practical fire effect! Overall, a very solid effort. Would love for a similar class of ride to take up residence in the Looney Tunes area to help flesh out the park's offerings.
The blaster responsiveness is very sporadic. Some of the blasters work great, while others hardly work at all. You can literally ride it once & ride it again in the same vehicle but have that same blaster not respond as well as it did during the previous ride. The system really needs a good refurb.

The fire effect is hit or miss. I haven't confirmed it or not, but it might be a blaster reaction effect. I think if you hit a few of Joker's laughing gas canisters, thats what triggers it. Not sure though because the fire doesn't always happen (but then again, the fire effect on Spiderman didn't always work all the time either).

Trust me, every would love to see a Looney Tunes dark ride in Bugs Bunny World. They have plenty of space for one & more. The whole area needs a huge revamp & better selection of rides other than toddler-sized carnival rides that parents can only watch their kids ride. Its sad that Speedy, Canyon & Magic are included in Magic Mountain's coaster count. Roadrunner is the only legit coaster in that area.

Superman was operating, and at a good clip. Hadn't been on in a long time and really liked it. Lex Luthor was closed at the beginning of the day but opened by mid-day, though I didn't ride. Crazanity was a very rock solid pendulum spinner, but I was confused why they didn't just theme it to Harley Quinn since it's already between the two DC-centric areas.
Superman operating is to be expected, it hasn't rained. However they do like to only run one side most of the time. :crazy: Drop of Doom being closed at 10:30 when the park first opens is no big deal, but are you sure it was closed? Because it was open around 11am.

CraZanity and the surrounding area should have been a Joker & Harley Midway. While yes, other parks have themed their version of this ride to a DC character, Magic Mountain likes to make poor choices. This being one of them when it comes to the theme. There even used to be a tilt-a-whirl ride in that area years ago (i believe where the basketball game is across from Drop of Doom).

Whats funny is that Tidal Wave has been sitting between Metropolis & DC Universe for several years. Although back then, the areas were known as "Gotham City Backlot" & "Movie District" (which was home to Batman Stunt Show & Riddler), so in a way still DC themed. The fact that Tidal Wave hasn't been rethemed & CraZanity wasn't tied into Harley/Joker speaks volumes. Of course that area used to be called "Colossus County Fair" :look:

Oh yea, here's another look at the WCR site giving a better look at the new footers
ICRaqcV.jpg

^Was there a point you were trying to make by mentioning the tilt-a-whirl? You mentioned it, then dropped it.

And yes, they did used to be where the 3 point game is now, called the Circus Wheel (not to be confused with a trabant styled ride also called Circus Wheel that was at that same spot back in the 70s and 80s). They also enjoyed a short stint up by X2/Viper as Baile de las Flores, and they have also been located where the entrance to Goliath is now under the name Jolly Monster (not to be confused with a double armed Octopus ride also called Jolly Monster... they resued many same names for different flat rides for a while).

While I don't know for sure, I believe the fireball effect in JL is always supposed to happen, but just can be hit or miss with maintenance being what it is. I've said this before, and I'll say it again... the one time SFMM can be cheap and I wouldn't complain is if they gave up staffing all the pre-show rooms in JL and just put in a regular queue. It so makes the SR pointless in it's configuration, and there are other JL's that are run like that. I would ride it so much more if I could just walk on, but I don't have the patience to sit through the two pre-shows (and they've both fairly long!).

Its sad that Speedy, Canyon & Magic are included in Magic Mountain's coaster count. Roadrunner is the only legit coaster in that area.

I mean, that's very common. Cedar point lists their two kiddie coasters in their coaster count for the park, as well as their Vekoma Disco variant Pipe Scream (which I consider to be more of a flat ride--interestingly, Cedar Point themselves lists Pipe Scream on their "coasters" webpage, making their own coaster count 18, but the Cedar Point Wikipedia page calls it a flat ride, making their coaster count 17--discuss). I gather you complain more that there's three of them, all basically in the same spot, which is a sort of fair point.

Last edited:
Went to MM for the first time in a while yesterday. Wasn't too busy in the morning, the longest wait I had was Scream due to the 1 train operation. Didn't ride X2 or Full Throttle due to wait times though. Had a dual on Twisted which was nice. 1st time on Justice League and I liked it but my Blaster did not work. It ruined the experience for me.

I almost wish they would have just not done blasters at all on justice league. The maintenance being terrible is going to cause the ride to deteriorate to nothing within 10 years. they could have added another scene with the money. This is a good dark ride for a six flags park if it were kept up.

Reactions: Wesker69
I almost wish they would have just not done blasters at all on justice league. The maintenance being terrible is going to cause the ride to deteriorate to nothing within 10 years. they could have added another scene with the money. This is a good dark ride for a six flags park if it were kept up.

Honestly, yeah. It's harder to justify why riders are involved in the story if we aren't actively "helping..." but... focusing on shooting targets actively distracts from the relevant action happening in any given scene. That action alone is probably enough to drive the ride, especially when paired with the (very good!) physical environments. I've noticed a lot of WB-based shooter rides have this problem, including the Acme Factory trackless ride over at WB Dubai.

I was at the park today. Superman opened an hour late, Ninja 30 minutes late. FT was on single train. On the good side, TNR and Goliath were running two trains. (Didn't bother to ride anything else, only had limited time.) Drop of Doom was testing frequently, but still had not opened when I left the park at 1pm. Jet Stream is down for heavy rehab, there were workers walking all over it.

JL was fine, but I just feel bad that hardly anyone goes on it. It must be so wasteful for guests to be sitting there waiting for these pre-shows when the ride is basically cycling empty. I just don't understand why they insist on it. Even if it's for legal reasons, only the second pre-show room has any legal sounding stuff, so they could at least cut it down to just that room.

And, uh, even though temps were in the 80s, Tidal Wave wasn't open. Sign out front said "Closed for Winter, open in Spring." Spring is here. Which is why I kinda say it feels like it's closed all the time. Barring a technical issue, there's no reason for it to be closed at this point when Spring Break is already happening for so many schools.

On the other plus side, I didn't realize that if you have an early entry membership, you can go get your two front of line passes before the park opens, which is kinda nice. Still wish they'd let you use it for Superman, though.

Reactions: Clive
I was at the park today. Superman opened an hour late, Ninja 30 minutes late. FT was on single train. On the good side, TNR and Goliath were running two trains. (Didn't bother to ride anything else, only had limited time.) Drop of Doom was testing frequently, but still had not opened when I left the park at 1pm. Jet Stream is down for heavy rehab, there were workers walking all over it.

JL was fine, but I just feel bad that hardly anyone goes on it. It must be so wasteful for guests to be sitting there waiting for these pre-shows when the ride is basically cycling empty. I just don't understand why they insist on it. Even if it's for legal reasons, only the second pre-show room has any legal sounding stuff, so they could at least cut it down to just that room.

And, uh, even though temps were in the 80s, Tidal Wave wasn't open. Sign out front said "Closed for Winter, open in Spring." Spring is here. Which is why I kinda say it feels like it's closed all the time. Barring a technical issue, there's no reason for it to be closed at this point when Spring Break is already happening for so many schools.

On the other plus side, I didn't realize that if you have an early entry membership, you can go get your two front of line passes before the park opens, which is kinda nice. Still wish they'd let you use it for Superman, though.

I don't quite get what's going on with Drop of Doom. Open on Saturday (for most of the day), but closed for most of Sunday, too? What gives?

It's criminal to run a coaster like Full Throttle with one train. Shouldn't even open at all.

It doesn't help that with Tidal Wave and Jet Stream down, we're left with the Roaring Rapids, which has a pitiful capacity of three 12-person rafts that load like molasses. That ride ought to go for something more substantial.

- The park also sells mini metal models of X2, Goliath & Tatsu for $35 in the giftshop. (I have a pic, will post later)

Wait, like the build them yourself metal earth models or just a premade? I have Diamond Elite so I could go for a half off model!!

Reactions: Rideguy70
Not true actually. Of course the problem Magic Mountain has is that any merch that does sell, they refuse to order more stock of it. But to say ride specific merch doesn't sell in a park like six flags is asinine. It only doesn't sell if its got a crappy design, its not offered at all or in Magic Mountain's case- it isn't blatantly available to park guests.

Goliath & X2 both have a tshirt available, BUT its only found at their photo-pass booth when exiting the ride. So most guests won't even notice. Neither shirt is available in the main Emporium giftshop.
Weird, last time I was there I bought a goliath and full throttle shirt at the emporium. Granted they were on sale.

While I don't know for sure, I believe the fireball effect in JL is always supposed to happen, but just can be hit or miss with maintenance being what it is. I've said this before, and I'll say it again... the one time SFMM can be cheap and I wouldn't complain is if they gave up staffing all the pre-show rooms in JL and just put in a regular queue. It so makes the SR pointless in it's configuration, and there are other JL's that are run like that. I would ride it so much more if I could just walk on, but I don't have the patience to sit through the two pre-shows (and they've both fairly long!).
Its funny too because all of the Justice League rides at other Six Flags parks are set up differently. Hell one I saw had the formation of the hero trio statues swapped around. The one I've seen a few pics of, it seems to use an indoor queue with videoscreens along the way like Spiderman/Transformers. I love the pre-show rooms, but the execution of audio & whatnot is beyond terrible. Hell, even the outdoor queue is awful, especially in summer.

I mean, that's very common. Cedar point lists their two kiddie coasters in their coaster count for the park, as well as their Vekoma Disco variant Pipe Scream (which I consider to be more of a flat ride--interestingly, Cedar Point themselves lists Pipe Scream on their "coasters" webpage, making their own coaster count 18, but the Cedar Point Wikipedia page calls it a flat ride, making their coaster count 17--discuss). I gather you complain more that there's three of them, all basically in the same spot, which is a sort of fair point.
I'll defend Woodstock Express & Jr Gemini over our trio of carnival "coasters" any day haha... Funny you mention Pipe Scream, I've been referring to SeaWorld's new "Tidal Twisters as a Roller Coaster/Thrill Ride hybrid. They both walk a very fine line, but I'd also count Pipe Scream as a flat ride.

Tidal Wave was scheduled to reopen literally a week ago. Honestly, it probably needs an entirely new operating system. Considering how rust covered it is, I'm surprised its even still standing. SIGH.

- The park also sells mini metal models of X2, Goliath & Tatsu for $35 in the giftshop. (I have a pic, will post later)
Wait, like the build them yourself metal earth models or just a premade? I have Diamond Elite so I could go for a half off model!!
Lastly here is a look at the those mini metal coaster models they sell in the main Emporium giftshop, as well in the giftshop across from Dive Devil
II1coxh.jpg

O9oseSn.jpg

dh945as.jpg

KESrHCK.jpg

These mini models are very cool, but also kinda cheap for their $35 price tag. Best advice- if you're friends with a teammember, abuse their discount (35-40%) or if you know someone insane with a Diamond Elite pass, abuse their 50% discount.

Weird, last time I was there I bought a goliath and full throttle shirt at the emporium. Granted they were on sale.
Yea. They were probably one of the old last remaining shirts. I'll try to get a pic tomorrow of the two that are only found at their respective rides.

In other news, I stumbled across this 20min video from the 80s.. thought you'd all love it..

Reactions: Dykealiscious
Here's my overdue update from Six Flags the past few days...

Sadly... the park did not get rid of a poop emoji midway game, just relocated it within the area.... :poop:
m3SBg6A.jpg

This right here tells you all you need to know about the classy level Magic Mountain is at... :poop:

2uayMp3.jpg

Another BUSY "Spring Break" day at the park... and yet, Full Throttle was STILL only operating with one train.

AC821vl.jpg

Tidal Wave was FINALLY open as of thursday (April 4th), however... it was only operating with ONE boat!

DLry7Jb.jpg
jm3BWBo.jpg

9oTDskz.jpg

xbPROx1.jpg

Look at that pitiful splash!
euPnWR6.jpg

XEEXyJK.jpg
k9tnCC6.jpg

Drop of Doom (and Superman) has been operating without issue.. and The Emporium also had this Superman tshirt available too.

hcOJTvT.jpg

This shirt can be found at the on-ride photo booth at the exit of Goliath. Its not a very stylish tshirt as if sold at AE, A&F or Aero

8iUT69S.jpg

Tatsu has been operating with only two trains instead of 3... but it also keeps breaking down too...

go1b2tI.jpg

X2 is STILL only a 1-train operation. Park closed at 8pm the other day, they were still cycling the ride well after 8:30pm due to the waittime.
FUN FACT: X2 is actually designed to operate with 3 trains, instead of the usual 1 (2 if your lucky) train operation. Unfortunately, the onboard audio is still MIA. When it does work, it is barely audible.

67tahN5.jpg

Batman: The Ride just recently turned 25 on March 26th, 2019.... No acknowledgement from the park at all sadly. (even if it is clone #3)

jtIEDsT.jpg

This past thursday, April 4th... Riddler's Revenge turned 21. Like Batman, this is still a very strong coaster in experience & themeing.

Oh yea... so it seems that the ticket booths under the classic white archway are no longer being used. Guests now can purchase their tickets at the "will call" windows. I will double check this tomorrow.

I can't remember if there is anything I'm forgetting at the moment. Also, the Full Throttle stage will be back in use "soon" for Grad Night... god forbid the spring break guests get to enjoy any entertainment in the park. sigh..

Reactions: Clive
Anybody see the rumor on Screamscape regarding a potential Star Flyer going in at Pistachio Park?
Well now I have... and yea, I don't believe that rumor to be very accurate, at least for that particular location. It'd require the Buccaneer swinging ship to be removed/relocated. Now if they wanted to replace the swashbuckler swings with a "star flyer", that would be more believable for that area... unless they wanted to remove the Whistlestop Park train/magic flyer, then there is that area..

Well now I have... and yea, I don't believe that rumor to be very accurate, at least for that particular location. It'd require the Buccaneer swinging ship to be removed/relocated. Now if they wanted to replace the swashbuckler swings with a "star flyer", that would be more believable for that area... unless they wanted to remove the Whistlestop Park train/magic flyer, then there is that area..

Personally, I think Whistlestop Park would be a more believable rumor. But it's early and I'm not buying this rumor just yet. Since SFMM is one of the few parks left without a Star Flyer, it's a pretty safe prediction any novice could make. We'll see I guess.