Six Flags Magic Mountain | Page 79 | Inside Universal Forums

Six Flags Magic Mountain

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I could see the Star Flyer bit being true, but the location not being Whistlestop (the train is about nearly an acre).

Either way, they're likely to need .2 acres as a minimum for fitting it in (and I'm using New England's .16 and adding in the extra). Now, if they were to use GL; while it would be larger than just the base of NE's tower for footprint, it could be more than enough if they raze the main building, and to then just leave the queue.

Honestly, my guess for 2020 is something cheaper than that. Either an Zamperla Air Race, or something akin to what St. Louis is getting this year, the Thrill Wheel.

Last edited:
I'm wondering if a rumor will start spreading about converting the current Sky Tower into the Star Flyer.

At first, I was saying that totally as a joke, but if they did get clever, they probably could do it if they really had a mind to. After all, they put Drop of Doom on a structure that was never intended for a drop ride. And let's face it, they currently have a nearly 4000ft tower just sitting there unused, and in a great location for a Star Flyer already on the top of a hill.

Reactions: alias8703
I'm wondering if a rumor will start spreading about converting the current Sky Tower into the Star Flyer.

this has been brought up in the past. It is however, a landmark which caused SFMM to scrap the plans. I'd love a star flyer, but i dont want those huge versions. The cycles suck. I want a fun, nice, 200ft star flyer

Lots of 1 train ops yesterday. Ninja, Full Throttle, X2, Scream and Tidal Wave. Tatsu on 2 trains 1 station and waiting on the break run 3 times as long as the ride is miserable.

Pretty sad during a spring break weekend.

Reactions: Clive
I think the wear and tear of the trains from 365 day operations is catching up to them. I remember reading somewhere that their coaster shop was understaffed or they just need to order one more train for each ride.

It's also the price we pay for having idiotic and embarrassingly cheap leadership in Six Flags currently. "Looks guys, at how we can run a park 365 days and maximize our profits by continuing to squeeze their budget just as tight as we do our smaller parks"!

Reactions: Wesker69
At first, I was saying that totally as a joke, but if they did get clever, they probably could do it if they really had a mind to. After all, they put Drop of Doom on a structure that was never intended for a drop ride.
this has been brought up in the past. It is however, a landmark which caused SFMM to scrap the plans.
You guys are forgetting the biggest issue with this concept, besides the Sky Tower being a landmark... you couldn't replace it with any type of swing ride if you wanted to... Why? ...Tatsu. The first drop curves around the tower at a very close proximity.

I think the wear and tear of the trains from 365 day operations is catching up to them.
No. There are several parks that operate 365 days with multiple weather conditions. Its not the daily operation that is the issue. It is the severe neglect over the past 48 years. Magic Mountain doesn't "fix" anything, they put a band-aid on it & call it a day.

Personally, I think Whistlestop Park would be a more believable rumor.
I could see the Star Flyer bit being true, but the location not being Whistlestop (the train is about nearly an acre).
Whistlestop is not long for this world. A few months back I was told a rumor that it would be closing in the near future. I didn't really put too much thought into it at the time. It wasn't until yesterday (when I rode it ....for the first time) & saw it break down again today. The train moves at a snails pace, you could literally walk faster. The engine overheats very easily. It went down for a while yesterday & today. So yea..

*pics will be up later*

Then in some ways, I would think 2020 if it's in Whistlestop, ain't the Starflyer.

If anything, they could close it and prepare it for a potential 2021 coaster; as it could make sense to have the station and queue there (As the train ride to it's own, is about nearly .9 acres)

Last edited:
You guys are forgetting the biggest issue with this concept, besides the Sky Tower being a landmark... you couldn't replace it with any type of swing ride if you wanted to... Why? ...Tatsu. The first drop curves around the tower at a very close proximity.

That's a good point, but not insurmountable. Recall back when Knott's had Windseeker, it was programed to stop spinning fairly high up due to it's proximity to Jaguar's track and supports.

But that is playing devil's advocate. I'm sure it's impractical for lots of reasons, I was just speculating. Although is there any proof of it being a landmark? I feel I've heard that before, but always as a rumor. It's actually pretty tough for structures to be designated a landmark. I feel if it had been designated a landmark, there would be a news story about it, and I couldn't find anything.

In other news said:
_2SpobC3hUI[/MEDIA]
That was so good! The only ride I hadn't been on or remembered was that condor thing. You know, I love goldrusher but it's soooooo beat up now and it hurts to ride it. I wish they would replace it to be honest. Or refurbish, because the area is trashed. Z-Force...omg when that came out I almost creamed myself. Reminds me of how much more intense we want thrills to be nowadays.

I agree, I ride it every time. But last time (last month) I felt like I busted a rib LOL. It would be amazing remodeled.
The trick to riding Gold rusher is to not lean back in the seat. I found it a better ride when your not taking a beating. Was one of my first coasters and sentimental favorite but sure does knock you around.

Sorry for the delay... been busy with work & then of course 2 days of Universal... Anyway, here's a few recent random pics

dL3DCpB.jpg

While track for WCR has begun to arrive (sorry, too lazy to trek across the parking lot to get pics lol), this is still the current state of the area... so don't expect any track to go vertical just yet.

EBeZXSW.jpg

Here's a pic of this waste of former ride space, also known as Pistachio Park... as you can see, The Buccaneer swings right along the edge of the area.

x1gz5KC.jpg

The Swashbuckler is such a terrible carnival hand-me-down. The park really needs a better quality swings ride, even DCA has a nice one. They're classic. This is "cheap". I'd love to see this replaced with a ride that'd better fit the loose pirate's cove/shipwreck theme. Preferably an octopus/monster ride (just not the cheap AF carnival knock-off version the park used to have).

Z1Wgq3E.jpg

The "Hall of Justice" logo on the floor is sadly only a giant sticker decal. It was removed for a few months. This is the new one they added about a month ago. Sadly, it is already getting destroyed.

zoSeDV7.jpg

Sylvester going after Tweety...... again..

TXHzGWQ.jpg

Anyone having Step by Step nostalgia?

ZmqUSXz.jpg

So if you're in the park lately, you might see the employees rocking these new shirts.... apparently Six Flags has "5 Star - World Class Service" :huh:

XEXJhXc.jpg

"In brightest day, in blackest night, Green Lantern will never again take flight"

Q1PSnOW.jpg

WXG8D6h.jpg

FOE7rV9.jpg

TvWcec2.jpg

ZO10pwZ.jpg

jSpUmGC.jpg

As you can see, Whistlestop has better landscaping than the rest of the park... haha.. But yea, there is honestly a good amount of space that this whole area sits on & under utilizes. You could comfortably fit a main ride & two flats within this space if the train & magic flyer were removed.

Also, after riding Hippogriff again... Magic Mountain really needs a family coaster like it. Hippo is bigger/longer than Roadrunner but small enough to not intimidate kids. Plus its well themed and landscaped. This park could benefit from having the same rather than an "off the shelf" coaster.

I would gamble that a typical, GP (non-enthusiast) visitor would not be able to tell the difference between FotH and Roadrunner's track layout. They certainly wouldn't care that one was "off the shelf" and one wasn't.

Reactions: AlexanderMBush

At first, I was saying that totally as a joke, but if they did get clever, they probably could do it if they really had a mind to. After all, they put Drop of Doom on a structure that was never intended for a drop ride. And let's face it, they currently have a nearly 4000ft tower just sitting there unused, and in a great location for a Star Flyer already on the top of a hill.

Too many zeros. It's only just under 400 feet tall.

Are you saying the tower is landmark seen from good distances, or a historical landmark and that is why it can't be replaced. Because it is not a historical landmark. Just a landmark. No protections.

We are talking about MM though. They would rather just leave it there instead of fixing it.

Reactions: Rideguy70
^ They have been met with protest before about it though. SFMM caved and just said keep it. But they are SFMM so yeah they could change they mind if they need it to improve the aesthetics of the park.

Reactions: AlexanderMBush
The current Park President has expressed the desire to reopen Sky Tower, but the cost and renovations that would have to be done to pass inspection are pretty daunting. I'm not sure at this point if even Cedar Fair would bother with it.