Six Flags Magic Mountain | Page 189 | Inside Universal Forums

Six Flags Magic Mountain

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
How is this really any different then them trying to block microsoft/activision blizzard? Sure they lost that case, but six flags and cedar fair are the two biggest national theme park brands combining. I don't think necessity goods are really factored in at all.
Because they still would not be the only game in town in any market.

Because they still would not be the only game in town in any market.
Yeah but the same can be said for MS, except there are far more large game publishers than amuement brands. Knowing the aggressiveness of the FCC I wouldn't rule them out.

I believe any merger over 100 million is automatically reviewed.

Reactions: tankart150
I think it would help MM and Knott’s both to have the same owner. Between both parks they still wouldn’t have the attendance of Universal or Disney. Pass holders make up a large share of the attendance for both, so the model for drawing guests would be offering unique festivals in each to encourage repeat business and spending.

I bet this will save some of the smaller parks, as both companies were likely looking to downsize their portfolio to free up more cash flow (similar to CGA).

I will admit I'm still a little worried about SFMM's future, I hope I'm wrong. I'd love to see the park finally rebound into a great place like Kings Island was able to do.

I actually see this as a great thing for management at SFMM. I know monopolies are a bad thing but this is a theme park chain. Who cares. I just want this park restored to some type of nostalgic glory.
Also Knotts and SFMM are pretty much two entirely different parks (and different clientele)

IMO knotts is competing more with Disney as a family destination than Six flags

Socal ain't the amusement park monopolies I am worried about regarding this merger. (looking at four parks on the East Coast)

As @coaster31 said, both parks hit different areas of Socal. Maybe the merger further allows the opportunity for Knotts to grow as a family theme park destination with thrills here and there while the merger for Magic Mountain helps restore that focus of being the coaster capital of the West Coast.

it would be an extremely asinine decision if they were to actually close SFMM.

That would also kill the Valencia economy. If its run well it would be one of the most profitable chains for the company.
As a long time resident of SCV, Magic Mountain closing will not kill the economy here. MM is not the powerhouse it used to be for Santa Clarita. Lot of the economy is based on the movie studios out here now, the industrial centers, and many businesses.

Reactions: chris.g
I have heard recently that SF had been exploring the value of the land Magic Mountain sits on. Now that's not all that unusual, and it's just smart business.

But with CF coming in, with FAR less attachment to the property, I am a little concerned if this park continues it's current downwards spiral...

I have heard recently that SF had been exploring the value of the land Magic Mountain sits on. Now that's not all that unusual, and it's just smart business.

But with CF coming in, with FAR less attachment to the property, I am a little concerned if this park continues it's current downwards spiral...
I mean does the fact that SF announced the huge solar project this week sort of show that they still have things planned for MM (that does not involve selling the land)
I mean we only found out about the merger this week, but I am 99.999999999999999% sure this merger discussions were probably going on behind the scenes for most of this year..

They had no obligation to announce that solar project this week or even announce it at all.. Yet they did..

Reactions: Rideguy70
As of
I mean does the fact that SF announced the huge solar project this week sort of show that they still have things planned for MM (that does not involve selling the land)
I mean we only found out about the merger this week, but I am 99.999999999999999% sure this merger discussions were probably going on behind the scenes for most of this year..

They had no obligation to announce that solar project this week or even announce it at all.. Yet they did..

Not just that, but there’s a sizable ride being planned for the park as well. I’m thinking farther down the line, if the park’s recent mismanagement continues or is deemed not worth the long term investment. A lot will depend on how the next 5 years or so goes.

SFMM has had a rough couple of years as we all know. I hope someone will give it the care it deserves

Last edited:
As of

Not just that, but there’s a sizable ride being planned for the park as well. I’m thinking farther down the line, if the park’s recent mismanagement continues or is deemed not worth the long term investment. A lot will depend on how the next 5 years or so goes.

SFMM has had a rough couple of years as we all know. I hope someone will give it the care it deserves
It’s also meant to be Six Flag’s flagship park, if not also the most profitable. It’s the only Six Flags park in the chain open all-year round so it likely is.

With that said, I’m fairly confident Cedar Flags (What I’m calling it now lol) will likely give better TLC than Six Flags did. I mean, it’s the California Cedar Point. They can still also run Knott’s as the “cheaper Disneyland” by focusing a bit more on family/themed rides and SFMM big thrill machines. Not to say they won’t think about coasters for Knott’s every now and then.

And the solar project has started. The supports are already laid out in the employee lot.