Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Six Flags Magic Mountain

I was at the park today. I do agree that cars really back up at parking, and I feel they could give just two lanes for the vaccines... after all, vaccines don't even back up into a queue for a long ways past the gate. Having four lanes for vaccines seems really unnecessary. The parking did mostly go fine for me, but again, if you're stuck behind someone without a reservation/wrong date, of course that could hold everything up. That's not SFMM's fault. And while I had heard that they didn't open parking until 10:20 on April 1, for us on April 3, they opened parking by 10:05. We arrived at the parking gates by 9:50am (the park opened at 10:30), and I'd say there were already about 50 cars stacked and waiting to get in.

Since I have maintained my membership throughout the pandemic, I got upgraded to Diamond Elite VIP, which gets me up to 4 ride passes. However, they don't include: Superman, WCR, Crazanity, or X2. Even so, not a bad deal. I had Preferred Parking reserved, and since that's taken up by the vaccine, I was directed to the old Valet parking area right next to X2, which was my first time coming from that area... I loved it! But the attendant there said it probably won't last long (again, likely because of vaccinations), so try to enjoy it while you can! We were also told that in the future, we will be given a SF gift card to use for all our credit that we continued to pay during the pandemic.

We generally had a great time, and did way more than we expected to accomplish! My biggest advice is get there early , and leave early. We got a crapload of stuff done in about the first 2-3 hours of park opening, but by about 2 or 3pm, it was like suddenly all the lines for both food and rides are out of control. Get there early and leave early, and I think you'll have a great time. We left by about 2:30 (after a bit of shopping) and thought that was right, as all the lines were starting to get out of control by then.

I also agree that rides are up and down a lot... we saw nearly every ride have to shut down at some point, and then typically reopen 30-60 minutes later, so come back if you can. I don't really fault SFMM for this right now, either... the park is still trying to get it's sealegs, so to speak, and I get a sense there's a lot of new team members who are not quite used to making it all work smoothly. I think it'll get better in time, and given what they had to work with, it's a great start. Yeah, some guests are not great about having their masks over their nose or distancing in lines, but in a large group, it's inevitiable. But most people would move back if asked politely, and if on the pathway, it's wide enough you can easily avoid them. I also love all the new seating areas they've added... I hope that stays! And I'm hoping that in time, they'll add drink stations (like Knott's has) for quicker refills.

We have done the same thing. GOt their at park opening and got on a few things. I am mostly going to walk around like I always do.

I will say this. You don't even need a reservation to get into the park or to park. I am not saying that everyone should do this, but it can be done.

The same happened at the two parks in Texas when we were recently there.

In addition, I wish of those complaining on every site possible, to actually read the State's rules for theme parks reopening. No where does it say theme parks have to check IDs to see if you live in state. No where does it say you can be kicked out for not wearing a mask. Walk up ticket sales are allowed without a reservation. It is driving me nuts how people make up rules and then believe in them.

This was has been driving me crazy the most regarding in stated visitors only. it states, "In-state visitors only. Information will be prominently placed on all communications, including the Reservation and Ticketing systems, to ensure guests are aware of Reservation and Ticketing Requirements. At the time a guest makes a park reservation and purchases park tickets, the park operators must obtain an attestation that when visiting the park, the guest’s party size will not contain more than 3 households and the guest, and all members of the guest’s party will be instate visitors. " No where does it say IDs will be checked or have to be checked. People need to learn what an attestation is.

Bottom line to anyone going here, or any of the other parks in the near future is HAVE FUN!!!!!!! Don't worry about what others are doing and HAVE FUN!!!!!!

Did they secretly change the name of Fright Fest to Hallowfest? Was looking at their season pass offerings and the wording is: "Includes BOTH Hallowfest and Holiday in the Park admission*"
Hallowfest was the name they used for the 2020 "non-Fright Fest fright fest". I'd guess it's being used if there's reduced capacity or will be discarded if things return to normal operations by then.

Had a crazy day at the park today. Was DEFINITELY over 25% capacity, and the ticket takers were only taking passes rather than reservations. Ours was 3:45 (too late tbh, but totally acceptable knowing they’re pulsing), but they weren’t pulsing at all and the flash pass line was legit 2 hours. No social distancing, rude guests, and team members were sadly left with no training on important subjects (not their faults, but definitely a problem in upper management). Was able to get a pass without having to wait the ridiculous 2 hours that would literally take up the whole reservation time, manager and Team were super understanding and helpful for those that had purchased online and were faced with a mixed line of those buying and those just trying to pick up something they thought would be an instant add on. Poorly put together, potentially unsafe, but I ultimately had fun since it was my first park experience in literal years now. Not acceptable, but enough to turn it into a good time

Yeah, getting there at 3:45 when the park closes at 6pm during Spring Break... not much is going to happen. It's sad you experienced that, but I'm telling you, the park was likely a very different story right at opening. All reports I've seen so far seem to indicate the park is pretty dead for the first 2 hours of the day, and then rapidly becomes crowded after that. When we left at abut 3pm on Saturday, the line to just pick up a Flash Pass appeared to be at least an hour, maybe more.

Yeah, getting there at 3:45 when the park closes at 6pm during Spring Break... not much is going to happen. It's sad you experienced that, but I'm telling you, the park was likely a very different story right at opening. All reports I've seen so far seem to indicate the park is pretty dead for the first 2 hours of the day, and then rapidly becomes crowded after that. When we left at abut 3pm on Saturday, the line to just pick up a Flash Pass appeared to be at least an hour, maybe more.
Well, I'm not expecting to get a ton done, but during a pandemic, doesn't a two hour line at flash pass (working with all of their usual employees) seem a bit, strange? Like, would that be acceptable at any other theme park in CA? Could you even imagine Knotts or Universal making you wait in a non socially distanced line to pick up an add-on you already bought online? Poor operations are one thing, but unsafe operations are not okay when: 1. It could put your guests AND staff in unneeded danger during a pandemic, and 2. It could potentially lead to other more responsible parks to have to delay openings or lessen them due to the first park in CA being irresponsible.

Well, I'm not expecting to get a ton done, but during a pandemic, doesn't a two hour line at flash pass (working with all of their usual employees) seem a bit, strange? Like, would that be acceptable at any other theme park in CA? Could you even imagine Knotts or Universal making you wait in a non socially distanced line to pick up an add-on you already bought online? Poor operations are one thing, but unsafe operations are not okay when: 1. It could put your guests AND staff in unneeded danger during a pandemic, and 2. It could potentially lead to other more responsible parks to have to delay openings or lessen them due to the first park in CA being irresponsible.
That's a big problem right now with Six Flags. SO MANY people have those flash pass skips now, especially those that got upgraded to 4 skips! At some points in the day, the flash pass queue was longer than standby for some attractions. The flash pass skips, while a neat perk, is damaging the satisfaction of other guests and members/passholders who don't have skips, especially during this time with reduced train capacity.

That's a big problem right now with Six Flags. SO MANY people have those flash pass skips now, especially those that got upgraded to 4 skips! At some points in the day, the flash pass queue was longer than standby for some attractions. The flash pass skips, while a neat perk, is damaging the satisfaction of other guests and members/passholders who don't have skips, especially during this time with reduced train capacity.

I was about to ask how that was inevitably impacting ops. I can't imagine it's sustainable to have so many Flash Passes out there when they're already running reduced ops. (I'm of the opinion you can probably run all trains with one group per row, but I realize that's not what's happening in CA for now.)

I was about to ask how that was inevitably impacting ops. I can't imagine it's sustainable to have so many Flash Passes out there when they're already running reduced ops. (I'm of the opinion you can probably run all trains with one group per row, but I realize that's not what's happening in CA for now.)
But what can they do? They promised if you paid the last year this would be your reward along with extra free days for friends

Basically if you can't get in before noon skip, there is ZERO reasons to go past noon right now

But what can they do? They promised if you paid the last year this would be your reward along with extra free days for friends

Basically if you can't get in before noon skip, there is ZERO reasons to go past noon right now

Honestly? You pull the band-aid off now. Offer other incentives or partial refunds.

What they're currently offering isn't sustainable, and they should have known that a year ago - but the park will remain broken if they don't come up with another solution.

Honestly? You pull the band-aid off now. Offer other incentives or partial refunds.

What they're currently offering isn't sustainable, and they should have known that a year ago - but the park will remain broken if they don't come up with another solution.
I agree in a way but I mean the line for it also being long tells you there are just issues with the entire system.

Like Six Flags just has no idea how to deal with these crowds.

Honestly its go before noon or don't go...thats just how its going to be for a long time but its also on the state if by July all who wanted the shot got it..then we should be 100% open again and these problems are just gone.

Flash Pass shouldn't be a thing at all during this time, especially the skips handed to members every visit. Same reason why Disney isn't doing FastPass, because it doesn't work with the restrictions.

Flash Pass shouldn't be a thing at all during this time, especially the skips handed to members every visit. Same reason why Disney isn't doing FastPass, because it doesn't work with the restrictions.
1) They are still selling them and making money...so good luck
2) Like I said before promises were made, maybe they can find another reward but going to be hard to just take it away now that people have gone and done this

Its why I said it would be a sh%tshow....they have had issues before this and have not fixed them and now have more issues.

But we live in the real world, so if they do not fix them get in on before noon or go another day

Got word Motors on S:EFK have been replaced completely, allowing it to reach its max height at less energy.
Great to hear! I wonder if they did both sides yet or are planning to. Also would have been neat if they somehow converted the launch to a newer system found on today’s modern Intamin launch rides such as Hagrid’s Motorbike Adv.

Great to hear! I wonder if they did both sides yet or are planning to. Also would have been neat if they somehow converted the launch to a newer system found on today’s modern Intamin launch rides such as Hagrid’s Motorbike Adv.
I just wish it could be somehow quieter. I know it’s a common complaint, and I usually would never complain about how loud a roller coaster is, but that thing is notoriously earth shattering. Does anyone know if they could put sand or anything in the track?

I just wish it could be somehow quieter. I know it’s a common complaint, and I usually would never complain about how loud a roller coaster is, but that thing is notoriously earth shattering. Does anyone know if they could put sand or anything in the track?
Sand would work but looking at the support structure, it’s mainly composed of steel I-beams so there wouldn’t be anywhere to fill with sand like a cylinder shaped steel with a hollow center.

Maybe it's just me, but I kind of like how thunderously loud it is! Feels appropriate for the IP. Would be awesome if both tracks could operate simultaneously, though.

Any on the ground reports these past few days? We have reservations for the 17th @ park opening.

Okay, trip report time. Went yesterday. Here are my thoughts:

The earliest time I could get to go in was 1:15. I got to go in with me and my friend right on time thanks to careful planning. I really didn't care about doing everything I wanted since I expected the pent-up crowds to show up full force. Not a big deal since I have the Diamond membership. I was disappointed that Justice League and Crazanity were closed but I did three rides: Twisted Colossus, Gold Rusher, and Tatsu. Twisted is my favorite so that's all I really wanted to do. I wanted my first theme park ride in California in over a year to be the best coaster (IMO) in California so that was worth it for me right there.

The biggest gripe I have are the operations. Glad to see they made some improvements here and there, but aye yae yae their operations suck the big one. The biggest offender of the bad ops was Tatsu (Waited two and a half hours!). Overload of Flash Pass, one platform running, constantly sanitizing the the ride vehicles.....ugh. I would rather they push hand sanitizer at the end of the ride because cycling all trains one time to spray 'em and let 'em dry is not practical at all. Disney and Universal in Florida, at least AFAIK, approach all of their ride sanitation as "at your own risk" and offer hand sanitizer. SFMM needs to adapt to this because this just murders capacity. If people are going to really raise this much of a stink about ride vehicles being thoroughly sanitized every four ride cycles, then, I'm sorry, but what are you doing at a theme park?

Overall, I had a nice time revisiting Tatsu and Twisted, but SFMM never seems to improve on ride ops. They need to readdress the capacity because the way they're doing things is not sustainable. I will say I prefer the new security system over the old one. Just walk right through and you're good to go. They shouldn't sell flash pass under the new procedures for the time-being but we all know how much Sux Flags needs the money.

Also, LMAO at the KAren on Gold Rusher complaining to the ride op how "rude" he was and wanted "to see a manager." The poor lad had the look on his face of "I'm just getting paid minimum wage for this."

Okay, trip report time. Went yesterday. Here are my thoughts:

The earliest time I could get to go in was 1:15. I got to go in with me and my friend right on time thanks to careful planning. I really didn't care about doing everything I wanted since I expected the pent-up crowds to show up full force. Not a big deal since I have the Diamond membership. I was disappointed that Justice League and Crazanity were closed but I did three rides: Twisted Colossus, Gold Rusher, and Tatsu. Twisted is my favorite so that's all I really wanted to do. I wanted my first theme park ride in California in over a year to be the best coaster (IMO) in California so that was worth it for me right there.

The biggest gripe I have are the operations. Glad to see they made some improvements here and there, but aye yae yae their operations suck the big one. The biggest offender of the bad ops was Tatsu (Waited two and a half hours!). Overload of Flash Pass, one platform running, constantly sanitizing the the ride vehicles.....ugh. I would rather they push hand sanitizer at the end of the ride because cycling all trains one time to spray 'em and let 'em dry is not practical at all. Disney and Universal in Florida, at least AFAIK, approach all of their ride sanitation as "at your own risk" and offer hand sanitizer. SFMM needs to adapt to this because this just murders capacity. If people are going to really raise this much of a stink about ride vehicles being thoroughly sanitized every four ride cycles, then, I'm sorry, but what are you doing at a theme park?

Overall, I had a nice time revisiting Tatsu and Twisted, but SFMM never seems to improve on ride ops. They need to readdress the capacity because the way they're doing things is not sustainable. I will say I prefer the new security system over the old one. Just walk right through and you're good to go. They shouldn't sell flash pass under the new procedures for the time-being but we all know how much Sux Flags needs the money.

Also, LMAO at the KAren on Gold Rusher complaining to the ride op how "rude" he was and wanted "to see a manager." The poor lad had the look on his face of "I'm just getting paid minimum wage for this."
This is what I feel bad about

Like the management is the issue not the CMs, is the penny pinchers who don't even have to work in park and make everyones lives suck but they get the big pay and bonuses

Insane that they are not running both stations on Tatsu, but I guess I can't say I'm surprised.

CDC has now formally issued guidance explaining that surface transmission is extremely rare, so hopefully we can also ditch the over-sanitization of vehicles. Woof.

A bit puzzled that Justice League was closed, but is what it is, I guess.