Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Six Flags makes Aquisition Bid on Cedar Fair

If it wasn't for Disney acquiring 21CF, I would think that this would be a large monopoly.

The thought of it worries me, and I hope this goes nowhere.
This is different than Disney acquiring 21CF though. There's still plenty of major studios beyond 21CF plus Amazon, Netflix, Apple, etc now. In the regional amusement world (in the US), it's really only Six Flags and Cedar Fair outside of a few places. This would be an EXTRAORDINARY monopoly.

Not surprising. It almost happened years ago when H-Partners took over as majority shareholders of Six Flags. They met with Dick Kinzel and almost made it happen then. I'm kind of surprised it wasn't SeaWorld they were trying to acquire, but Cedar Fair is a much better fit. I feel bad for the Cedar Fair parks if they are acquired by Six Flags, but strategically it's a good fit for Six Flags.

This is the most ridiculous news I have heard in a while. Like isnt six flags pretty broke? Are they gonna jack up rates to pay for this while building even less rides as people just kind of don't go? Margins are bad enough for amusement parks as it is. Saleries are already pitiful. Where is the money coming from? Shouldn't cedar fair be the one buying them if anything?

I find it hard to believe that Six Flags would buy the entire chain.

I could see them picking up the bottom tier of CF’s parks (glares at Michigan’s Adventure).

I don’t really understand the financials of this at all. How could Six Flags run a more successful chain by having more theme parks? If SF picks up Michigan’s Adventure, it doesn’t make Great America more profitable or enticing

I’m in orlando this week. I did nearly spit out a mixed drink I was having at Endless lol
Niles is saying he doesn't think the report is credible....and you're a lot safer in Orlando. No many tall buildings. :lol:....Enjoy the rest of your vacation. :toast:

This would be the worst news for theme parks as long as I can remember. Say goodbye to clean Cedar Fair parks and hello to "ugh". Worse than the Paramount days for the parks that were owned by them at that time.