Skull Island: Reign of Kong - General Discussion | Page 388 | Inside Universal Forums

Skull Island: Reign of Kong - General Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Keep in mind that he has used the camera/photoshop to make the image brighter than what you'll see in reality. Think of how dark Hogwarts actually is in reality versus all the "bright" looking images you can find of it online.

And it has to be "natural lit" because the lower halves of the channels on either side of the entry door will have flame pots that flare up each time a vehicle goes by.. but i didnt tell you that because it's a spoiler-free thread.

yeah they're long exposures

Really bummed out that Kong doesn't have a gift shop. The small bits of merch I have seen so far are really lacking. I don't want a shirt / hat with CGI Kong on it, or some boring 8th wonder logo slapped on something. They made an entire area in Universal that is basically just an excuse for Potter gift shops, yet Kong can't even get one?

Really bummed out that Kong doesn't have a gift shop. The small bits of merch I have seen so far are really lacking. I don't want a shirt / hat with CGI Kong on it, or some boring 8th wonder logo slapped on something. They made an entire area in Universal that is basically just an excuse for Potter gift shops, yet Kong can't even get one?
I think they have a souvenir cart outside of the ride exit from what it appears...I'm sure we'll see more merch pop up around the park as well

Well, the popularity of Potter far outweighs Kong. There isn't much Kong merch they can make. It isn't transformers which is a toy line already or Spiderman either.

Well, the popularity of Potter far outweighs Kong. There isn't much Kong merch they can make. It isn't transformers which is a toy line already or Spiderman either.
You must not have much imagination if you think Kong couldn't lend itself to tons of cool merch. There's already a whole bunch of neat creative gorilla themed products out there online and in stores. Most of the potter stuff in the parks is just stuff you can buy for half the price online or in normal stores anyway.

Why spend millions of dollars on a huge attraction only to not sell any product for it outside of basic generic stuff? Even the random Jimmy Fallon "ride" is going to have a store.

You must not have much imagination if you think Kong couldn't lend itself to tons of cool merch. There's already a whole bunch of neat creative gorilla themed products out there online and in stores. Most of the potter stuff in the parks is just stuff you can buy for half the price online or in normal stores anyway.

Why spend millions of dollars on a huge attraction only to not sell any product for it outside of basic generic stuff? Even the random Jimmy Fallon "ride" is going to have a store.

People go with a budget in mind to spend on merchandise and if it comes to a choice between Kong and Harry Potter, it's pretty obvious what people will choose.

Reactions: Ryan

I really think this is a silly argument. Kong was never meant to be a huge merchandise seller. There really isn't nearly as much opportunity as there is for Potter, DM, Marvel or even Jimmy Fallon. Fallon's story will be a replica of the NBC Studio store in NY, which is insanely popular. Not to mention that NBC IS Universal. When Skull Island the movie was being made at Uni, it might make sense going forward to want merch for that new series. Now that it's at WB, there really isn't a lot going forward to promote. A merch cart is more than fine for this attraction.

People go with a budget in mind to spend on merchandise and if it comes to a choice between Kong and Harry Potter, it's pretty obvious what people will choose.
Despite what Universal might think there are TONS of people who have no interest in Potter, myself included. Universal's parks have lost so much character, having no push for creative Kong merch is foolish.

Reactions: Cheezbat
There are loads of Kong merch in the store on the right located just before the Islands exit.

Good the hear, hoping it's better stuff than what I have seen so far online. I've seen basic "video game" CGI Kong printed on mugs, shirts and hats but that is about it. Hoping Universal actually gets creative with Kong's products when it opens. As somebody who loves classic Universal I have no interest in the JK Rowling / Michael Bay era attractions and I'm extremely excited and hopeful for Kong to be a return of what once made Universal such an awesome place.

Good the hear, hoping it's better stuff than what I have seen so far online. I've seen basic "video game" CGI Kong printed on mugs, shirts and hats but that is about it. Hoping Universal actually gets creative with Kong's products when it opens. As somebody who loves classic Universal I have no interest in the JK Rowling / Michael Bay era attractions and I'm extremely excited and hopeful for Kong to be a return of what once made Universal such an awesome place.

What ideas do you have? Just curious what type of merch would you like to buy? Maybe send off a letter to universal merch with suggestions
I personally like the idea of an attraction that doesnt dump into a gift shop. Its kinda refreshing for a change

Reactions: Mike S and Ryno27
there are late rumors out there so take it with a grain of salt but some people are saying theres a chance kong could open mid to late july at the earliest

Reactions: Ryno27