Skull Island: Reign of Kong - General Discussion | Page 48 | Inside Universal Forums

Skull Island: Reign of Kong - General Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
NearMap has very recent aerial imagery of the Kongstruction plot showing a layout of the building and the area surrounding it. With this in mind, does anyone have any guesses as to what path the ride vehicles will take during the outdoor portion of this attraction? I can see some of it, but can't determine the entire route.

Kong_zpsunx36ai7.jpg

Last edited:
NearMap has very recent aerial imagery of the Kongstruction plot showing a layout of the building and the area surrounding it. With this in mind, does anyone have any guesses as to what path the ride vehicles will take during the outdoor portion of this attraction? I can see some of it, but can't determine the entire route.

Here's my guess.

Attachments

• Kong_zpsunx36ai7.jpg
    Kong_zpsunx36ai7.jpg
    525.7 KB · Views: 163
Are you talking about that quadrifons looking thing? Is that the entrance to the temple?

goodness violarum... I had never heard the word quadrifrons before. What crack did you pull that out of?

But yes, that is the outdoor covered queue which connects to the interior queue. Unless it has been added to since, they have altered it to a degree. Another change in the matrix.

Here's my guess.

You can smack it pretty tight up against that curved wall JS.

Architecture textbooks make weird terms like quadrifons (also known as tetrapyla) layperson. Sorry!

Also that's interesting. You said the queue itself will be barren save for a few dead-looking plants and some vines, right? Which means we can expect lots of queue space.

My predictions (sketched out horribly on a work computer eugh):
Blue - ride track
Red - queue icons (entrance to queue and entrance to temple)
Green - queue space

Attachments

• Kong_zpsunx36ai7.jpg
    Kong_zpsunx36ai7.jpg
    534.1 KB · Views: 160
You said the queue itself will be barren save for a few dead-looking plants and some vines, right? Which means we can expect lots of queue space.

I wouldn't call it barren, but less heavily themed in the extended parts. Once one enters the covered outdoor queue, it will be themed to what I once guessed it would, a stereotypical 1920's British base camp with some ruins or collections waiting to be packed in crates here and there. The building is where the temple caves leading to more finished temple rooms the further in one goes. The tempo and pacing should be very nice, I hope.

btw, the outdoor covered queue is supposed to be larger than that foundation shape in the nearmap image. I don't believe they had started the whole thing yet.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mad Dog
Just curious if anyone knows. When it comes to making blueprints for rides and putting the concept together. is it done in orlando offices or hollywood? Where are these drawing boards located?

Just curious if anyone knows. When it comes to making blueprints for rides and putting the concept together. is it done in orlando offices or hollywood? Where are these drawing boards located?

ORLANDO is the home base of Universal Creative.

However, they contract out all over the country and world. Many of the engineering firms hired to create final plans (so-called blueprints) for construction are out of Florida.

The landscape engineers for Volcano Bay are out of Boulder, Colorado as odd as that might seem. I doubt this has changed.

The minutiae between napkin scratch and final engineering continues to mystify me to some degree. I have a ton of respect for the process, especially at UOR and UC.

Last edited:
Does this ride path seem right to those of you in the know? Exiting the building after load and then traveling around the loop before re-entering through the temple gates?

kong_overview_path.jpg

Edit: Okay, just saw JungleSkip's post above... looks just like mine.

I was finally able to get my video from last week online. Had some major computer issues so took me a little while. There's already been newer images since I shot this, but I did get some good angles of the short wall surrounding the ride path. More images posted on my blog.

A few screenshots and pictures as well:

P1040999-1024x768.jpg

P1040995-1024x768.jpg

P1040996-1024x768.jpg

00144.MTS_.Still002-1024x576.jpg

00144.MTS_.Still001-1024x576.jpg

P1040994-1024x768.jpg

P1040991-1024x768.jpg

That's all for now. Check out my blog for more. And let's all have a moment of silence for my old computer, may she rest in peace. She's in a better place now, probably in the cloud... or wherever dead computers go.

Does this ride path seem right to those of you in the know? Exiting the building after load and then traveling around the loop before re-entering through the temple gates?

Yes basically, but specifically, the curves will be far far more severe in reality. A city bus or tractor trailer could not make any of the corners; never in a million years, and yet, the Kong vehicles will be easily the length of a city bus.

And now I just gave you the reason for something else I revealed recently... the answer to the why.

Reactions: anihilnation
Yes basically, but specifically, the curves will be far far more severe in reality. A city bus or tractor trailer could not make any of the corners; never in a million years, and yet, the Kong vehicles will be easily the length of a city bus.

And now I just gave you the reason for something else I revealed recently... the answer to the why.
Because it will be using "crab-steering" I assume? (A term I only learned by following this forum.)

Reactions: anihilnation
I can see the crab steering being very useful for a abrupt slide motion if something big struck the vehicle on the side even a slow spin motion tossed in and hard 90 degree lefts and rights for creature evasion and escape.

What potential these vehicles possess for thrill dark ride applications

Oh the horrors the drivers MIA and were still moving