Skull Island: Reign of Kong - General Discussion | Page 513 | Inside Universal Forums

Skull Island: Reign of Kong - General Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I'm aware of all those thing thanks, and they are different beasts all together, and make sense within the constraints of their building locations (or rather, there possibly building locations). I'm talking specifically about this attraction and reality of those "cuts" mentioned, as some (like the high speed chase) make absolutely zero sense as a realistic planned addition to the ride given the size of the area. And he clearly lists those as cuts made to the ride as we see it now and planned in its current location, not the previous iteration planned in Disaster!, which he addressed in a later post.

I'm not saying cuts were not made, cuts are always made in amusement attractions. All I'm saying is he rather obviously trying to overplay the idea of "cuts" by bringing up things that may have never been real concepts actually considered for the final iteration for the ride aside from the initial "blue sky" phase (in which Creative teams usually throw everything and the kitchen sink at the wall) as a way to bash the ride.

He has always looked and spoken down at Universal, and when he make remarks like the ones made in that post (especially about the Creative team) that I know personally and first hand are outright false, it makes me question his intentions and length of his insider info, at least on the Universal front.
Sorry, I know Whylightbulb personally and I can tell you for an absolute fact that he is heavily involved in some of these projects and is more than fair when it comes to both Disney and Universal in my opinion. I don't specifically know about the chase scene he is referring to but he does say that it was something they tried to pitch early on, and they had a solution to the space limitations but UC management did not want to entertain the pitch.

Reactions: DrakeParker
The only time I've seen him post and edit is when he gets nervous about posting something that could reveal his identity. He posted about Nintendo and then quickly took it down because it hadn't been announced at that time for example. I'm not sure what info you are referring to that turned out not to be correct but he has been right on target, along with Spirit, as far as I can see.
Budget cuts. A number of times.And they were refuted by our insiders plus the end results. ... And Spirit has a pretty poor record when it comes to Universal also, though his stuff on Disney isn't bad. We've had in depth discussions on both of them in the past on OU. I don't really care to revisit them since that's all old stuff.

Yea, but the big picture window overlooks the splashdown at River Adventure, hence the name Thunder Falls. With a view of JP it'd be a hard retheme to Kong IMO.
That could easily be changed if they wanted to. It's just not worth their time and resources most likely.

That could easily be changed if the wanted to.
Yea, but I wouldn't want it to. Love the view out that giant window. (Even with the added Jurassic World decals they slapped on there to cash in on a successful franchise.)

Now if they made the left side Skull Island themed and the right side Jurassic Park, I'd be all for that. They do have two food lines, two sides of seating, and two outside eating areas. Just throwing that out there.

Regarding whylightbulb's comments....

There's many MANY reasons why things get cut/changed and they're not always to do with budget. Especially when dealing with a unique ride system...perhaps the original "jeeps" we saw in the concept art were going to be smaller and lower capacity and a forest chase would have been more possible....but possibly the capacity would have been a bigger issue.

I do agree that Universal does have some problems with storyline between the queue and the attraction itself (See The Mummy, Shrek 4D for prime examples), and also the pacing of the attractions themselves...but IMO these are minor issues in the grand scheme of things.

Unlike Disney, we don't have a lot of "purist" history when it comes to Universal and their classic attractions, many of which were based on movie production themes.

Reactions: Mike S and Mad Dog
Just posted by whylightbulb on Magic. How could they possibly have pulled THIS off? Feel free to take it down mods if you feel that way.

*image removed obviously* -tt321
*the image was a V-Rex eating the driver* -Mike S :shifty:

Last edited:
Reactions: Ryno27
How could they possibly have pulled THIS off? Feel free to take it down mods if you feel that way.

They could have done it with 3D. Remember people said it seemed like the bats flew into the vehicle? They could have done the same thing in reverse with the actual driver disappearing from view at the same time as the 3D yanked the driver out.

However, UC and Imagineering are paid to think big, no budget limit just so the the producers and Pres can pick and choose what will stay in play. This stuff goes back and fourth, back and fourth, back and fourth until the tops are ready to proceed to engineering.

Lol. It sounded unbelievable at the time. And now that I see the concept art, it looks pretty unfeasible. I don't understand how you can get upset over something like this. Anyone want to ask what the concept for the jungle chase was?

Reactions: Mad Dog and Mike S
Lol. It sounded unbelievable at the time. And now that I see the concept art, it looks pretty unfeasible. I don't understand how you can get upset over something like this. Anyone want to ask what the concept for the jungle chase was?
I asked him for more stuff, even for other rides. Let's see.