Skull Island: Reign of Kong - General Discussion | Page 667 | Inside Universal Forums

Skull Island: Reign of Kong - General Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
even as optimistic to say that the trucks might have live actors spieling like Jaws.
Or like the original KONGfrontation!

I have heard many times that they eliminated 3D to reduce the motion sickness that was extra frequent on FJ specifically.
It's funny having been on Orlando's FJ multiple times, then moving to Cali 2 years before PotterWest opened, the 3D didn't really enhance the experience much at all (not for me at least). I was disappointed they weren't "themed" glasses like Japan had lol. But I remember after they removed the 3D, it felt weird riding it in 2D even though I was accustomed to it lol

I never understood why they couldn't do anything else with the Yeti, such as just a small arm movement only, or a burst of compressed air to move the fur at least?
They have disco lighting effects and a fan blowing on the yeti to allow the fur to move... it's a very well done effect and people still find it believable.

No excuse for them not to fix it, but if you didn't know about the Yeti being broken, you would think it did move. While the Yeti is impressive, the ride is more than great without it. Kong, especially now, can't run if the animatronic doesn't work. The payoff is just not there.

They have disco lighting effects and a fan blowing on the yeti to allow the fur to move... it's a very well done effect and people still find it believable.

No excuse for them not to fix it, but if you didn't know about the Yeti being broken, you would think it did move. While the Yeti is impressive, the ride is more than great without it. Kong, especially now, can't run if the animatronic doesn't work. The payoff is just not there.
Its not like its a broken AA. Fixing it would be a massive undertaking potentially needing to be rebuilt from the ground up

I never understood why they couldn't do anything else with the Yeti, such as just a small arm movement only, or a burst of compressed air to move the fur at least?

Also I believe FJ had way more 3D motion sickness because of the horizontal movement of the screen carousels not matching the animated graphics at all. I have heard many times that they eliminated 3D to reduce the motion sickness that was extra frequent on FJ specifically.

Honestly FJ makes people motion sick without 3D. I know that is the one ride my husband can't really handle and even I am a little sick on it.

I really dislike the strobe effect. I would argue that it's not a well done effect and that many people do not find it believable at all. I understand the thought behind it, but strobe lighting is very unnatural and you can hardly see him. I really think they should come up with something other than the strobe.

Reactions: Cwoolboy
The entire foundation of the figure is compromised, any more movement will make it worse and possibly destroy the ride.
It used to have a huge, powerful lunging movement. I understand how all that power is not stable and was causing a potential issue, but can't they just make the hand wave or something literally anything would be better than the sad current state. Even a couple seconds of full lighting (maybe from headlights on the train?) would be better so you could at least see him.

It used to have a huge, powerful lunging movement. I understand how all that power is not stable and was causing a potential issue, but can't they just make the hand wave or something literally anything would be better than the sad current state. Even a couple seconds of full lighting (maybe from headlights on the train?) would be better so you could at least see him.
My assumption is the figure was only designed to move in a certain way, and it would not be possible to simply reprogram a different (less forceful/aggressive) arm motion.

I do agree that a lighting change would be nice.

Reactions: GA-MBIT
It used to have a huge, powerful lunging movement. I understand how all that power is not stable and was causing a potential issue, but can't they just make the hand wave or something literally anything would be better than the sad current state.

My assumption is the figure was only designed to move in a certain way, and it would not be possible to simply reprogram a different (less forceful/aggressive) arm motion.

I'll agree with belloq that the yeti was pretty much designed for that big lunge, and I don't think they can just easily switch it up for just an arm swipe. After all the arm swipe will still need force to move, and that's just not happening with the cracked foundation.

There's also the matter that's been one of the biggest issues in terms of fixing the yeti, they don't have easy access to the yeti himself. In order to fix anything, the ride has to be closed down so they can get at him, but being closed down beyond a general refurb just isn't in the cards for any attraction in WDW.

The faults of the yeti were most likely what led to future precautions like the Shaman AA designed for easy access in case of a breakdown. But then again we've also had moments like a Hondo AA covered in a sheet when he broke down.

We rode it once last week, just for curiosity's sake. Kong was one of my fav attractions when the outside runs. Generally we would do it 5 or 6 times during a vacation. We only did it that one time. It's really wounded without the outside portion and no 3D. It lacks any wow moments now. The first two scenes are average at best without the 3D. The 360 screen isn't as bad as those two, but it also lacks the wow feelings and sights. Only doing it that one time kind of sums up my feelings. It's just a tad better than F&F in it's present state, and that's not a good thing. No survey people at any of the times I walked past the attraction.....It's a sad state. ....Hope it's not a done deal, but I'm not confident.....Still one of the best queues and pre show of any Universal or Disney attraction. As always, I stood there and watched the entire witch scene, even though it was an empty queue and a walk on, but posted as 35 minutes standby..

Why even go through the pretense of a test if this has all been just a cold money calculation?
To announce it as such is not a good look to the GP or us. In this vein, they still “win” with the GP because most of them are none the wiser. It’s a crummy look….pretty slimy but I’d rather not think too much about it. Just wish they would have come out and said it instead of all of the charade.

Why even go through the pretense of a test if this has all been just a cold money calculation?
Because they can claim the test was a success and guests loved not having the glasses. Mainly few people complained at guest services is their angle with that one. But who the heck wastes their time complaining about any ride to guest services? Especially if they didn't wait very long for the ride.

Because they can claim the test was a success and guests loved not having the glasses. Mainly few people complained at guest services is their angle with that one. But who the heck wastes their time complaining about any ride to guest services? Especially if they didn't wait very long for the ride.
Also, with short operating hours and Velocicoaster now running inefficiently... what time do you have to complain about guest services? lol

Universal has already made up its mind. There were a ridiculous amount of survey takers at the park this past week (Antojitos, Park Entrances, Richters) ... except at Kong.