Skull Island: Reign of Kong - General Discussion | Page 15 | Inside Universal Forums

Skull Island: Reign of Kong - General Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Smells should be the next big revolution in rides.

After 90 minutes in line, all I want is fresh air.

But seriously, olfactory theming is the next frontier. I know it's riddled with difficulties though. It's hard to disperse a fragrance where you want it and then have it dissipate. The humidity, temperature, wind, everything effects it.

Not to get off topic, but I was part of a group that tested out Tower of Terror when they were human-testing the new drop profiles for the randomizer thing they do now. The imagineers had some boxes with fragrance inside for us to smell. It smelled like burning rubber and hot metal. Really effing cool. They were going to install it in the ride, but they had cancel the installation since the Safety folks feared there would be no way to tell if there really WAS a legit mechanical problem when the whole elevator shaft constantly smells like there was a fire. :shrug:

Not to get off topic, but I was part of a group that tested out Tower of Terror when they were human-testing the new drop profiles for the randomizer thing they do now. The imagineers had some boxes with fragrance inside for us to smell. It smelled like burning rubber and hot metal. Really effing cool. They were going to install it in the ride, but they had cancel the installation since the Safety folks feared there would be no way to tell if there really WAS a legit mechanical problem when the whole elevator shaft constantly smells like there was a fire. :shrug:

Considering how claustrophobic and paranoid I get in that cage as it is, I'm really glad this didn't happen :lol: Cool idea though!

After 90 minutes in line, all I want is fresh air.

But seriously, olfactory theming is the next frontier. I know it's riddled with difficulties though. It's hard to disperse a fragrance where you want it and then have it dissipate. The humidity, temperature, wind, everything effects it.

Yeah because you can't tell if there is a fire by looking at it. "Look I see flames engulfing the elevator shaft!" "Oh come on now there is no fire...I can't even smell it". Seriously though I didn't know about that potential effect. I would have loved it and made the fear factor that much higher but I guess you can't make things too real or awesome...we can't be having that :p

businessman-writing-notebook-take-note-control_preview-thumb.jpg

^THIS is why we can't have nice things.

Yeah because you can't tell if there is a fire by looking at it. "Look I see flames engulfing the elevator shaft!" "Oh come on now there is no fire...I can't even smell it". Seriously though I didn't know about that potential effect. I would have loved it and made the fear factor that much higher but I guess you can't make things too real or awesome...we can't be having that :p

Not every fire is massive and noticeable. Plus it may not even be a fire, but something going wrong and overheating and the scent could cover that. The whole idea of the elevator smelling like it was burning is neat, but at the end of the day every attraction always has awesome ideas taken out because there are other practical things to consider. ToT is a fun ride without the smell, it doesn't bother me.

Not every fire is massive and noticeable. Plus it may not even be a fire, but something going wrong and overheating and the scent could cover that. The whole idea of the elevator smelling like it was burning is neat, but at the end of the day every attraction always has awesome ideas taken out because there are other practical things to consider. ToT is a fun ride without the smell, it doesn't bother me.

Valid point :p The thing I find the best is the amount of immersion put into a ride. Stimulate as many senses as possible and it may just become that much better for the guest. This type of "sensory overload" in a way is going to be the difference between good and great. For example when a 4D show ANNOUNCES when a smell is coming basically it's like, "Oh cool that totally smells like that thing but I knew it was coming." however, when it is subtle like the orange smell in Soarin' it makes the ride for me. So let's hope Kong uses similar effects but the banana smell seems too comical in this seemingly serious storyline...the throwback would be nice in it's own way though and might give the general populace a laugh if they notice.

Last edited:
Not to get further off topic, but continuing on the smells-on-rides theme, I'm trying to think of rides that already (or previously) used this feature.

Closed Rides:
Kongfrontation's banana breath (although I never did notice it)
Horizon's Orange Groves

Current Rides (and Shows):
Despicable Me: Minion Mayhem's banana gun (in pre-show)
Soarin's Orange Groves (and allegedly pine trees, but all I ever smell is oranges)
Journey into Your Imagination with Figment's Skunk scene
Spaceship Earth's fire smell in burning of Rome
It's Tough to be a Bug's stinkbug scene
Kali River Rapids burning trees (although I didn't smell it last time I was there)
Mickey's Philharmagic's desserts in Be Our Guest scene
Stitch's Great Escape's chilli dog burb

And of course the fake smells pumped into Main Street USA, like popcorn, candy and cookies (and the real ones like fresh waffle cones)

Wow, after making the list, it seems like Disney really has the smell market cornered when it comes to Orlando parks.

Does Shrek 4D have a smell moment? Onions perhaps? I dunno, it's been awhile since I've done that one.

Not to get further off topic, but continuing on the smells-on-rides theme, I'm trying to think of rides that already (or previously) used this feature.

Closed Rides:
Horizon's Orange Groves

Soarin's Orange Groves (and allegedly pine trees, but all I ever smell is oranges)
Kali River Rapids burning trees (although I didn't smell it last time I was there)

And of course the fake smells pumped into Main Street USA, like popcorn, candy and cookies (and the real ones like fresh waffle cones)

Wow, after making the list, it seems like Disney really has the smell market cornered when it comes to Orlando parks.

Does Shrek 4D have a smell moment? Onions perhaps? I dunno, it's been awhile since I've done that one.

Oddly, we have a thread for this. :lol:

http://www.orlandounited.com/forums/showthread.php/230-Attraction-Smells/page7

Closed Rides:
Horizon's Orange Groves

Universal uses "Woods" smell in E.T.'s queue.

All I smell in E.T. is the mildew from the waterfall near the load platform. Even though they completely cleaned it out a few years ago. It's still all I smell on that ride.

And for whatever reason I love that smell!
I've never smelled the Mildew. I have only smelled "Forrest" and "Crisp Pine with western wood" . Absolutely love that smell.

- - - Updated - - -

I've never smelled the Mildew. I have only smelled "Forrest" and "Crisp Pine with western wood" . Absolutely love that smell.
If they could sell the smell of ET in a bag or air freshener, I'd buy it.